IGNORED

ground wire

Traindriver

I beleave I got,my answer, In a search, But just in case I miss understood here goes. My trailer is nearly done. I wired the bike at the loom under the seat with inline fuse protection. I put the ground on the negative terminal for testing everything works great. With that in mind, should I solder a lug on it and and attach it their or is there a better place. Or does it make any difference. Thanks guys and gals.

Thanks guy"s I solderd a lug on the bike side and attached it to the negative battery terminal. On the trailer side, I drilled a hole in the frame tack welded a nut behind it. And solderd a lug on the ground wire, And bolted it with a star washer to the frame. Hooked up trailer plugged it together. And everything workes good. Didn"t let any smoke out or blow any fuses. Wife fallowed in the car confirmed all is working fine.

The negative battery terminal is the best possible place for a ground wire to end up.

On my bike I have added a terminal block near the battery for the ground wires of all of the stuff I have added.

Whenever I do wiring on a trailer I always run the ground wire to each and every light.

I do have a frame ground but it is only to prevent any static buildup from pulling thru the air.

I have worked on a lot of trailers with weird acting lights over the years, 90% were from rust in a ground connection causing anything from a poor to no connection or even the dreaded intermittent connection.

If you do use a frame ground you MUST make very sure that it has corrosion protection or you will have the bad ground blues in a couple of years. When I do have to do a frame ground on a vehicle I always grind down to bare shiny metal on both sides of the frame, make the connection as you did with a star washer and then completely seal the connection on BOTH sides of the frame and up onto the wire, with an electrical grade of RTV to try to keep the rust away as long as possible.

Thanks Jeff. I may have left out a few points in my discription. But what I ended up with is just what you described. Each light goes to the ground. Which is then plugged to the bike. And grounded to the negative terminal on the battery. Tail end of ground wire is where I anchored it to the frame with nut bolt washer setup. All paint was filed off at this location. I didn't think of RTV to seal it I just painted back over it. If anybody see's a flaw in this setup please chime in. Thanks to all Tim.