IGNORED

Garmin GPS & Bluetooth headsets

cabreco

I haven't specifically found this information on here yet so I figure I would share it to make it easier for anyone looking to use a Garmin GPS & pair it with a bluetooth headset.

According to Garmin, the only Garmin Devices that support pairing with a Bluetooth headset are the nuvi 765, 775 , 785, StreetPilot 2820, zumo 220*, 550, 660 and 665.

When a headset is paired with these devices the listener will be able to hear phone calls, navigation prompts, or MP3 music (if the device has a MP3/Media Player).

All other Garmin Bluetooth-enabled devices are only capable of pairing with a Bluetooth cell phone.

The exception is the zumo 220. It will only pair to a Bluetooth headset or helmet and does not have the ability to pair to a Bluetooth-enabled phone.

Some of the Garmin devices broadcast FM so you can listen to your music stored on the gps's sd card thru a fm location youve setup. When the gps has something to say i beleive it turns down the music and announces your route over the same preset FM channel.

And just because a couple of devices pair up, it doesnt mean you can stream music or get the GPS to go thru the headest via Bluetooth. My Scala Q2 will only let phones be answered. You cannont stream music or listen to GPS via Bluetooth because the protocol used on my older version of Scala headsets wont stream. Its confusing to say the least, I would recommend before buying anything that you want to stream music, call the headset supplier and get confirmation.

I set my Scala to receive the same channel that ive preset for my GPS broadcast in the FM band. I was disappointed when I couldnt use Bluetooth for music etc, but the FM works just as well for that, and any phone calls coming over Bluetooth will turn down the FM volume and allow me to take the call or listen to a received email when I use Drive Safely App or Vlingo App on my BB.

brian

Edited by friesman

I was doing some reading on this on the Kawaskai fourms I belong to. If I understood it correctly the BT music thing had something to do with the type of signal to send stereo music over. I guess the higher priced units had that signal but older and lower current priced models didnt have that signal.

I have a 765T and it works good using the aux port. Plays music and you can hear the directions when it "breaks in". On my other bike and also in the car I have used the "FM" to broadcast over the car/bike stereo. Biggest problem is it uses a very weak signal and some areas you search alot for an "open" channel for it to use.

On your SD card 4gb is all it will recognize from the research I did here a few weeks back. Something to do with the format of the card if you go any bigger. I like my 765 because I can "make" my own routes up on my computer and upload them. I use TYRE it is about the easiest program I have found for this. http://forums.gpsreview.net/ check this place out, lots of answers on specific units.