IGNORED

what is this thing

Rick Haywood

If you are setting on the right side of the bike on a stool and you are changing the plugs in the front right head and if you look in there you will see a little tube that comes up next to the plug (towards the inside of the motor) it runs down and then into the head . Looks like it could or should maybe have a small vacum line or something hooked to it. Should it? What is it for? Anyone know?:confused24:

Guest tx2sturgis

Are you talking about the brass ports that are used for synching the carbs? If so there is one on each head if memory serves.

OK guys, enough with the jokes. It's time to get serious and help the poor fella. So...that tube is where you attach the catheter tube for your really long distance rides.

See...that wasn't so hard, was it?

Andy :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

I'll really try to help Rick. I think Darthandy is probably right.:D

OK, lets try this again. Do you have small vacuum tubes connected to two of your four carb sync ports near the bottom of the intake runners?

Stock bikes with the AIS all hooked up should have caps on the left rear (#1) and right front(#4) ports, and vacuum tubes on the left front(#2) and right rear(#3).

If someone removed/disabled/plugged or otherwise discombobulated the AIS, then you may have plugs on all 4 test posts, and that may be one of the leftover tubes you see.

If you have vacuum lines on two of your test ports, then we'll have to investigate further.

See the tech section here for info on plugging the AIS for some pictures.

I read the original post, I read all the other helpful replies, and then wrote mine.

The I re-read the original post. Makes me wonder if there is some metal tube he is talking about near the spark plug, the doesn't have a line on it. I just tried to look in by mine, but didn't see anything.

I've got to leave for a bit, but if noone has it figured out when I get back, I'll check the manual and see if there is something there.

Maybe it is this one . the one (s) that come over the top from above the carbs for over flow.

This is taken from cyl 4 sitting on stool :rolleyes:

[ATTACH]65075[/ATTACH]

My #4 cylinder sits on the crankcase!!! Must be a 1st Gen if the cylinder is sitting on a stool!

setting on the right side of the bike on a stool and you are changing the plugs

Just had to get the right feel of it--:rasberry: so I sat.:D

maybe that is why 1st Gens are so slow, there only runnig on 3 cyl. and

the 4th is on a stool?:think:

Well thanks for all the Help???:confused24:

What I am talking about is to the inside of the front right plug. you can not see it unlees you have the tank off, the dogbone off the plug wire off and the plug out. it is about 1/2 the size of a wd 40 straw around and about a 1/4 inch long. it then goes through the fin into a round hole about the size of a 1/2 dollar. it then turns and runs horizontal into the head. The hole is about a 1/4 inch deep and it has 4 prongs protecting it so you can't accidently bend the tube. Again you cant see it with out all this stuff off. I take a picture but I do not want to take all this stuff off again. I noticed it today while putting in mew plugs. I am sure someone besides me has seen this and knows what it is for.

I am not talking about the carb sync lines.:scratchchin:

Hey Rick.

I know it shouldn't matter what 2nd gen we have, we should all have the same engine parts, but since I also have an MM like yours, I'll check mine when I get home from work today to see if I can tell what you are describing.

I've been maintaining mine for 10 years and been all up in that thing, but can't remember something like that off hand.

Probably is something for the AIS, but you've gotten my interest up.

Rusty

Rick

Any posibilty that the bike was sold in California or maybe originally destined for delivery in CA? The model number will have a "C" or "CA" in it if it was. Maybe it has to do with additional emmissions controls that are reqired on CA vehicles.

I tried to look ay 07 using an inspection mirror and could not locate anything like you have described , but there is a lot stuff inhibiting a decent view of that area.

Well thanks for all the Help???:confused24:

What I am talking about is to the inside of the front right plug. you can not see it unlees you have the tank off, the dogbone off the plug wire off and the plug out. it is about 1/2 the size of a wd 40 straw around and about a 1/4 inch long. it then goes through the fin into a round hole about the size of a 1/2 dollar. it then turns and runs horizontal into the head. The hole is about a 1/4 inch deep and it has 4 prongs protecting it so you can't accidently bend the tube. Again you cant see it with out all this stuff off. I take a picture but I do not want to take all this stuff off again. I noticed it today while putting in mew plugs. I am sure someone besides me has seen this and knows what it is for.

I am not talking about the carb sync lines.:scratchchin:

Its a roll (spring) pin, Item 20 under cylinder head on the Fiche, goes through the end of Item 24 identified as Joint. The joint has some Orings on it, not sure what its for, Probably forms or seals an internal passage, but there is no hose that gets attached there. The pin keeps the joint from popping out of the head. See pic and see if #20 is what you are talking about. Its the only thing inside of the spark plug toward the head. I remember seeing it when I changed my plugs. There is one on the left rear also. Have to look in the SM to see what the passage/joint is for. Oil or coolant I imagine.

RSTDdog