IGNORED

70 BSA Rocket 3 750 triple

etcswjoe

Need some advice I have an opportunity to buy a ’70 BSA Rocket 3 750 triple for $5K. Been in dry storage covered for 30+ years. One owner. Has racing wheels and tires w/ original tires and wheels in boxes that go w/ it. Copper color, looking at it today to determine condition and will post pics. If it is in good condition would it be worth 5K? I know nothing about BSA.

Well, not too sure how US prices compare to ours, but at my vintage bike club's rally last June, there was a guy with a 1970 Triumph Trident (Same bike, different name) for sale and asking $6,500. It was in very nice shape and running quite well. The last one I saw for sale in similar condition had the same asking price. $5,000 for a bike that has been stored for 30 years, even indoors and covered, seems a bit pricey. Going by the prices Karl found, I would say that you shouldn't pay more than about $3,000. And at that price, I'd want good paint and no missing parts. If you decide to buy it there are a number of publications and clubs in the U.S. and Canada along with a number of suppliers who can get you just about any parts you might need.

Keep in mind though, that although it is a fairly rare bike, you shouldn't look at it as a financial investment. I know a young guy near here who spent $10,000 + restoring a 650 BSA Lightning

(The BSA equivalent to the Triumph Bonneville) which at this point, in near perfect condition, would still only bring about $7,000 to $8,000 at auction. This is a bike to buy only if it really interests you.

Andy

Turns out it is a 71 not a 70, paint on tank a little faded all the rubber looks brand new 6,000 miles one owner belongs to a coworker of my brothers it is in his moms house. Will post pics soon. I need to go back and see if it is a 4 or 5 speed. I am thinking about offering 3,000.

Kind of cool when folks run across these things. Unfortunatly all I remember about that vintage of bike when I was in high school was A: it was British, B: the dang shifter was on the wrong side C: Lucas electrics D: if it wasnt leaking oil, it probably didnt have any in it.

I'm not cutting on you. If your up for the restoration heck go for it. :080402gudl_prv:

Turns out it is a 71 not a 70, paint on tank a little faded all the rubber looks brand new 6,000 miles one owner belongs to a coworker of my brothers it is in his moms house. Will post pics soon. I need to go back and see if it is a 4 or 5 speed. I am thinking about offering 3,000.

If it is a '71, it should have a 5 speed. That transmission was introduced for the BSA Rocket 3 and Triumph Trident for 1971. According to what I've read, there were only 205 BSA Rockets produced for the 1971 model year. From then until 1975, only Triumph 3 cylinder bikes were produced. It seems the BSA sales were too low to make continued production worthwhile. The official BSA model number was A75RV. The '71 models were the last with drum brakes front and rear.

Be very wary of that rubber. It may look new, but if it's original it will have hardened by now. Tire and all rubber hoses, etc. should be replaced.

Andy

If you want a bike to restore and ride short distances or trailer to Brit bike vintage rallies, its just the thing. However, its not a reliable, long haul, comfortable riding machine.

air cooled 3 cylinder. basically the last breath for 1930's technology.

I love them, but they are what they are.

Will it fire up or at least spin when you kick it? 5K seems like a lot of money to me for a non-running bike. (if thats the case) Emotions sometimes run high with purchases like this. Keep your cool about it. It may cost you dearly in the long run.

Just found one sold here in Canada this week. Although the sale price wasn't mentioned, the description stated that the bike had been given a "museum quality" restoration from the "crankshaft" up. Total parts bill was near $8,000 several years ago plus labour. He was asking $12,000 CDN or $10,000 USD (Must have been advertised a couple of years ago when the rates were different!). This should give you an idea as to what it could cost to restore, if not what it would ten sell for. As Sylvester and RandyR said....if you want a really interesting project and a fairly rare machine when you're done, go for it. But your unlikely to ever get your investment back. Not trying to discourage you but I've seen too many guys get into this situation without realizing what it could cost. Knew one guy who bought a bike that looked to be in pretty good shape but had sat unused for over 20 years. The motor and transmission had basically rusted themselves into a giant sized paper weight! Restoring the motor alone brought the toal cost up to what the resale value was for that bike.

Andy

I don't know what I would pay for it but I SURE DO want it. :)

Come on up our way...or more precisely, to Paris, Ontario ... on Father's Day weekend in June. That's when my Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group has its national rally. There is usually at least one restored Triumph Trident or BSA Rocket 3 for sale. There was a nicely restored '71 Trident there last year with an asking price of $6,500 CDN. Plus, you get to see dozens and dozens of vintage bikes going back to the very early 1900's. Personally, I would have loved to pick up the yellow 1975 Honda CB400 (with that gorgeous 4 into one pipe they put on them back then) that was for sale last year as well ($4,500 - in pristine condition!). Oh well, I have more bikes than I can afford now, so I have to sell some rather than buy more. Damn!!!

Andy

• 6 months later...