IGNORED

Choke Lever Problems

I have a 2006 RSV with 42,000 miles. Bike is in great shape and only problem I am having is my choke lever no longer stays on its own. I have to hold the lever out until engine is warmed up. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated!

I have the opposite "problem" with my 07. The choke assy is very stiff, even after a thorough oiling of all the pivot points last summer.

Since complete examination of the choke assy is hard without removing the carbs, my suggestion would be to accept your loose choke assy (after first making as sure as you can that nothing is loose and about to fall apart) and consider it an advantage.

Choke usually doesn't have to stay on for more than a minute or so. Even in colder wx full choke shouldn't be required for more than about 30 seconds. After that you WANT it to unchoke. Some chokes have been designed for that purpose, in order to help prevent riding with the choke on, which is easier to do than is healthy for the motor. I've caught myself riding with partial choke quite a few times because I forgot to make sure it was off. I've got a reflex developed that reminds me to check it several times during my first few miles of riding after a cold start. Yours probably works its way off, but not completely, so that the motor runs fine, but with a partial choke is making the mixture too rich.

I have a 2006 RSV with 42,000 miles. Bike is in great shape and only problem I am having is my choke lever no longer stays on its own. I have to hold the lever out until engine is warmed up. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated!

Yep on my '99RSV too... I'm sure there's somewhere in the linkage that a bit of resistence can be added. I just haven't been in there yet. One good thing about it is I don't ride around with the choke half on because of old age senility... :backinmyday: