IGNORED

I am newbie to RSV but needing info about a 02 RSV

Normax

My cousin in Arizona wants to sell me his 02 RSV for $4,500. He rode it on long hauls, garaged and maintained it well and it has 68,000 miles. It looks crisp with no rips, cracks and the clutch whine is overcome by higher rpm. It has no issues I can see but at that mileage I know the saleability is zero after me. It is a beautiful bike feels very comfortable and study. I am very tempted as this beautiful bagger could haul me frame (6'2" 250) through Arizona, Mexico and the mountains.

Are these RSV as bullet proof as he claims and the value seems well worth it. My present bike is a Road King which I will no longer take on long hauls and will sell if I move over to metrics. BTW it has been awhile since I saw who'is behind me in the mirrors with the Royal Star drive

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Your input will probably make me decide one way or the other

Thanks

Normax

I can't address the value issue, that's up to you, but I would not hesitate to take an RSV with 68k on a 5,000 mile ride. In fact, mine should have about that when my wife and I head out for Nova Scotia this summer. Adjust the valves, sync the carbs, lube the swing arm and headset, and go. Oh, and if you hear the dreaded whine, downshift.

There is thread on the site about how many miles people have on their RSV's. One guy has 260,000. If you figure you might get 200,000 miles out of your bike you are paying 20% the cost of a new bike for a bike with roughly 65% of its' life left. Not a bad deal at all.

Buy it,, sounds like this is a good bike and well taken care of.

Also, perfect bike for your 6'2".

Someone else on this forum is asking a similar question about a RSTD with 107k miles but an unknown history and indication of no maintenance. He had another choice with much less miles. My feeling for that deal was leave the unknown alone.

I have high miles (85k) on my RSTD and plan to ride it,,,,,,

Swing a leg over and see if you like it. If you do then buy it, it's a good deal for the mileage. You will find it very comfortable and smooth running. A word of caution, they are top heavy and don't handle very well at parking lot speeds until you get used to them, very easy to drop under 5 mph, but if it does decide to take a nap on you just let it go, it will stop on it's crash bars and not go any further over. These bikes are designed to get on the highway and go all day!

BTW welcome to the site and you will find it very informative and extremely helpful. You will also find the members very friendly and hospitable!

I have two 99's one with 40K and the other with 30K and I would take either one of them across country now. 4,500 seems like a good price to me for an 02 with just 68K on it. I would be curious if he has done the valve adjustment on it yet and also if he has had to replace the rear shock.

If you find it a bit top heavy there are a couple things you can do to improve on that. I don't think you can go wrong. If tires need replaced you will fork out a few bucks for those. If you are handy, pay the 12 bucks to be a member here and these people will walk you through anything. At this price, if you find out it is not what you want, you can easily sell it for what you have in it.

I will turn over 94,000 today and would take my '99 cross country without hesitation. When you ride the RSV just remember that she will love RPM's. The Venture won't lug like the HD. Don't worry about the red line, the rev-limiter will take care of that. Buy it and enjoy.

Geez... and not one comment on how it will be slower than a 1st Gen and not as cool.

Where is Yammer Dan when you need him ?? :confused24:

Buy it..we need more 2nd class mem....uh I mean 2nd Gen members....:rotf:

Buy IT!! The biggest thing about these big brutes is rhat V-4 heart. And it just keeps on ticking!! If it has been taken care of I would be tempted myself. Buy it and 12 bucks gets you the best advice around!!!

And we will wait on you at the DQ's.....

68,000 is nothing for the Venture when it is maintained well that's chicken feed for the Venture unlike the Harley where 68,000 is not good due to the fact they need over hauling any where from 80,000-100,000 if your lucky

There's only two touring bikes I would ride across country with 100,000 or more and that is the Venture or Gold Wing both have bullet proof motors!!!

Remember these V-4 motors love the high RPM!! Harley calls these motors the "Beast"

get it out on the open road and open the throttle and let it run you will find these motors love it:) like the Gold Wing this V-4 motor will run all day long at 80mph with no problems!

Go for it!!! Now, quick...before somebody else gets it. In the condition you mention, you could ride it for two years and then sell it for close to what you would be paying...except that it's very unlikely you'll want to sell it once you've had it for a while. And this forum will be here to insure you get the maximum pleasure and reliability from it.

And welcome to the fun house!

Andy