IGNORED

Clutch time. Parts needed and numbers?

Just under 43K miles on 2007 RSV, clutch is starting to slip at high rpms. No trailer towing, mostly solo riding.

Is it worth the upgrade or just go with OEM style?

Is there a complete kit or do I have to order parts separately? Or do I just need new friction plates?

What parts will I need?

Never done a clutch before, so not sure what gets replace and what might get reused.

Where is the best place to get clutch parts?

THANKS

Edited by Jethroish

there are a couple recent threads on this very topic.

Many suggest the simple solution which is to just double up with a second stock clutch spring.

Earl aka skydoc_17 sells a clutch rebuild kit in the member vendor section.

Pretty simple job.. There is SkyDoc and PCW that sell them

with the gasket. If you type CLUTCH UP GRADE into the search

engine your going to find lots of info and good reading to make

you feel better :) I myself went with the upgrade and has been great

ever since. look also in the tech section as well on HOW to do it.

good luck,

Jeff

Read the how to in the tech section.

Is SkyDoc's clutch for RSV? When i looked in member vendor area it only listed 1st gen.

Guess the question really is, is it just the plates/disks that get replaced (OEM job?)

I will have no problem doing the work, just need a parts list I guess. Little anal that way. LOL

Thanks

As long as you have not been slipping it a lot, odds are that the clutch is fine and just the spring is weak and needs to be replaced. This is a common thing on these bikes.

The only way to know for sure is to take it apart and measure the thickness of the clutch pates, 3mm (.118 inch) is new and 2.8mm (.110 inch) is worn out. The steel plates should be good unless they are discolored from heat.

If the clutch is still good then all you need is the upgraded spring and a gasket and an hour of your time. The second time you do one it will only take a half hour.

Don, It is when you click on member vendors and go to SkyDoc it shows Nadda for the 2nd Gen.. Am I missing somthing? but after all it is me LOL :rotf:

It's you. :stirthepot: Seriously all you need to do is scroll down the 1st page and click open page 2. The clutch kit is listed 2nd to last at the pages bottom.

Larry

Don, It is when you click on member vendors and go to SkyDoc it shows Nadda for the 2nd Gen.. Am I missing somthing? but after all it is me LOL :rotf:

Are you talking about in the forum? I added that area once when I was having some trouble with the classifieds and also some here had commented that they felt they should be in the actual forum. It turned out that the vast majority preferred the actual classified pages and I think that most of our vendors have moved their items back there. I may need to delete the forum based ones to end the confusion.

To change the clutch spring is about a 15 minute job - the first time. Unless you have been slipping a lot and burning up the discs, likely a spring is all that is needed. Put it on the side stand, take off the cover, remove the pressure plate, change out spring, replace pressure plate USING AN INCH-LB TORQUE WRENCH. Button up and ride.

RR

Yes Don, the Forums area. you have member vendors. and there is skydoc

with first gen and 2nd gen nothing under second gen. that is where I thought

we had to go LOL.. Oh well I guess it's all in classifieds now. Thanks.

Jeff

HERE: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=200

nothing at the bottom to go to page two under second gen , nothing under 2nd gen at all .

seems like a great place to place there ad's tho.. is this not the purpose of it?

Man with only 43K on that bike you had better figure why it needs clutch replaced, sounds like you may be using the wrong type of motor oil or the wrong weight, I just upgraded mine last summer it had 83 thou before it started slipping in high gear. Make sure you arnt using an oil with anti-friction additive in it, personally I use Rotella 15 = 40, the upgrade I bought from Skydoc on here and it is doing a fantastic job, took about 45 minutes to replace the disc, and clutch spring. Good luck.:stirthepot:

• 1 month later...

can any one tell me whats going on with my clutch i put it in gear and cant roll the bike forward with clucth lever pressed in ijust put a new slave on bleed the master checked to see if it was wo

Edited by pmelah