I'm having entirely too much fun here:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:. Pulled the bike in last week to change the brake pads in back and the caliper sticks, so I ordered a rebuild from Earl and have a hard time bleeding it, but worse I accidentally left the key in the ACC mode and drained the battery. Now, after sitting on a 2amp charge overnight I still can't start the bike!!!:headache::headache::headache: Acts as though there is not enough juice. Battery says 11 amp with the key on, hit the starter and she drops to 7.5 or so and just clicks. I even tried starting her with the charger in start mode and she tries, but doesn't fully turn over. I'm tempted to say the battery is fried but how could this have killed the battery?? Battery was new this past summer.

Need some help quick folks, I'm tired of driving the wife's car :doh: and the weather's been too nice as well

Generally if a battery drops below 9V when cranking the starter, the battery is bad (will not hold a load). However, check the cells to see if they are full. If not, fill them and do another slow charge. It might refresh the poor thing . . .

:detective:

Sometimes a constant long term drain on a battery will warp some of the closely packed plates. The warped plates touch each other and are now shorted out and these particular plates will not produce juice. Lead acid batteries will sulfate if discharged for awhile. This means that sulfur compounds coat the plates, insulating the lead from the sulfuric acid. If the acid cannot contact the lead there is no electricity.

Pulled the battery and took it to get a load test. Result: bad battery!! I was outside the 90day free replacement, but still walked out with a new battery for less then $25.00. Charge it overnight and hopefully should be good to go.

Thanks for the feedback guys!! :happy65:

• 5 months later...