Does anybody have the part number for the o-ring that slips onto the coolant drain pipe assembly and then seats into the thermostat housing on an 83 first gen? I cant seem to find it in the parts manual. Any alternatives or if someone has one that they can measure up that would be great. Perhaps I can find a suitable replacement.

If you do try to find a replacement, I would recommend you are meticulous about matching the inner diameter and the diameter of the rubber itself. This will be a metric o-ring. Harbor Freight sells a box of a couple hundred o-rings in various metric sizes for around $10. Handy to have at times.

If you were to use a 'close' imperial o-ring, it will not be a good replacement. If it is a little thicker, it will be a real pain to get to slide into the water pump & thermostat housing, a little too thin and it may leak.

This application of an O-ring is called a radial seal. It is less forgiving about a mismatch in size than a face seal type application. I work with these in my day job.

Gary

Sorry I wasn't clear, but I am NOT referring to the o-ring on the themostat cover, but rather the one on the steel pipe that goes into the front of the housing and held in place by one of the mounting screws. Same pipe that has the coolant by-pass valve.

Edited by stanG
Add image

I found out from Skydoc that the o-ring in question is part of the assembly. It looks like I will have to find a suitable replacement at the hardware store after some careful measuring. Thanks for the responses.

• 8 months later...