IGNORED

Noise like a fan belt squeek

2007 RSTD w/23k miles and factory warranty until October.

Yes; a squeak at idle and fading away with engine rpm, or at least I don't hear it. I just changed oil a few miles before it manifested itself most of the time at an idle. I could occasionally hear it prior to the oil change but very minor in volume, yet now much louder and most of the time. I took it to the dealer and he couldn't identify it yet was willing to tear into it but was cautious about doing that without a clear idea what they were looking for. He asked about oil change and I replied it was just done within a few hundred miles and it was 10-40 Kendal 4 stroke Motorcycle oil. He suggested that I change it to 20-50 since we live in south Florida and it should perform well with it, we could see if the change has any effect on the noise.

I read a thread that sounded similar to my noise with the best comment being a possible water pump bearing but 90% of the replies were rhetoric about the OP have hearing issues, so please just good positive comments.

Thanks

COnstant squeal like a belt slipping all the time or intermittent squeak , squeak , squeak that goes faster with rpm?

So it got louder after the oil change?

What oil were you running before this last change? Did you change the brand of filter?

Is it worse when engine is cold or warm or doesn't matter?

Does it do it idle in neutral only or also idle in gear with clutch pulled in or slow speed in gear- say parking lot speed?

If the noise stays the same regardless of engine temp I doubt the type or weight of oil will have any affect.

Try and put it in gear and see if squeak goes away when you let out clutch. Put your foot on the brake and load the engine and clutch a bit.

Can you hear it more on one side of the engine than the other?

Could be as simple as needing a carb sync. Sometimes if the carb sync is out they will make different noises at idle.

RSTDDog

make sure you are not using oi with anti-friction in it as it will mess up the clutches and eventiually cause them to have to be replaced. I have been using Rotella 15 - 40 in my RSV and it works great, no problems in over 2 yrs and it actually made the whine a little more bearable.:cool10:

My 07 has made the same squeak/chirp seems forever. I added some Macs 1300 (anti-corrosion & lubricant) to the cooling system..thinking maybe the noise was the water pump?.....but still squeaks.

May just be a little bird tweeting about an encounter with a Hardley or 1st. Gen:confused24::whistling::banana::stirthepot:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, just an update on the noise, as mysteriously as it surfaced it has gone away. So I guess it is just another of the many noises that makes these bike so unique. Oh well I still get many complements on how good it looks.

a day a Woodys.jpg

Yep those are stock Tour Deluxe pipes with the removable / roatatable tips. I have seen them put on a Venture with stock pipes, but be advised that the Tour Deluxe mufflers have threaded inserts in the cones on the mufflers to accept the screws that hold the tips on. For the Venture mufflers you would need to use some short stout stainless steel sheet metal screws to ensure they stay there and do not rust out.