IGNORED

Fairing trim removal, how to?

I've removed my fairing on my 2006 RSV for painting, as it has a few scratches on it. I need to get the 2 small pieces of trim off. Do they simply pry off? As they're only plastic I'm afraid I might break them if I don't do it right. Thanks in advance......

Hair dryer and a strong fishing line works best...

Once removed, spray some WD-40 onto a rag, and wipe the remaining glue off..

Note: The longer you let the WD-40 sit on the glue the easier it will be to wipe off..

You can spray the WD-40 directly onto the glue, but it will run down the fairing...it wont hurt the paint or anything but it will remove any wax you have on the fairing.... Just re-wax the fairing when done..:thumbsup2:

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I was surprised to find them glued in place but got them off just fine. Didn't matter about getting the WD-40 on it as the fairing was going in for a repaint anyway, had lots of gouges and scratches from poor storage before I got it. Thanks to all for the input.

I just noticed the other day as I was cleaning as to how this trim was put on. Looks to be simply the double sidded emblem tape. You'll probably spend more time getting the goo of the trim pieces than getting them off the fairing.

• 2 months later...

i had to have mine painted to ... they are just stuck on with tape... i never could get mine to stay on after having it painted so i left them off .. i think it looks better with them off myself

:322:

I've removed my fairing on my 2006 RSV for painting, as it has a few scratches on it. I need to get the 2 small pieces of trim off. Do they simply pry off? As they're only plastic I'm afraid I might break them if I don't do it right. Thanks in advance......

• 6 years later...

Thanks for all the info - I'm trying to remove what I'm calling the winglets on the right and left side of my 2008 RSV: these are clear plastic, and appear to be deflectors to increase wind deflection "off of the rider" - whereas I am trying to get a little more wind "onto the rider and bike" to cool down the summer riding.

I tried removing the three screws that go into the back side of the fairing along the same axis as the clear winglets - hoping they would then just slide out - no luck, they wouldn't budge, and I didn't take it any further, I just put the screws back in and the winglets remain in place.

Any advice on this would be very helpful and much appreciated.

thanks, Mike Shoop