IGNORED

I have power finally!!!!!

lonestarmedic

Well, yesterday I decided to take my new battery back to the store. It was pulling down to 7 volts during the initial starter inrush. It tested well on a load until the store turned it up to about 175 amp load. Then it fell flat on its face. Got another battery and gave it a 6-8 hour charge. Stuffed it in Mocha and hit the starter. WOW- starter has so much speed and torque I thought it was a different bike! BAD NEW BATTERY. Now I have a new fuse panel, new wiring, new master fuses, new 4GA battery cables, new grounds and a happy grin. I even put in an extra circuit from the battery to a relay for driving lights. The system holds 14.4 at idle, 14.6 at 2K and above. When I step on the rear brake it goes to 14.8 for a moment. Must be the anti-dive and the rear brake lights.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions and told their tales of electrical woe. It all helped. I will take pictures of the problem areas I found and my cables and fusebox for our archives.

Happy New Year

JB and the now well charged Mocha

Noticed the charge voltage you were getting at idle. It shouldn't be 14.5. More like 12.9 You might want to check your rectifyer. If it doesn't cut back on the charge voltage you'll end up boiling your new batt out. Just a thought.

Noticed the charge voltage you were getting at idle. It shouldn't be 14.5. More like 12.9 You might want to check your rectifyer. If it doesn't cut back on the charge voltage you'll end up boiling your new batt out. Just a thought.

I second that.

The Voltages seem to be a little high for a fine System. The Regulator/Rectifier seems to be the Culprit. If one Diode is not OK, the Voltages you read go up, because you are getting some AC Current mixed into the DC Output of the R/R. This will definately fry the Battery very soon.

Thanks for the hint guys I forgot that these things are a stator/rectifier system. I will chase down the system checks. I was planning on an upgraded stator and rectifier in the next couple months. Might be sooner than later. Todd, I will get the brand name. It had a loose positive terminal. It was pushed down into the case about a quarter inch. We suspect that it had some transport damage. Other than that good to go. Off with the rockers and replace the gaskets. I will try to record the progress on this so others can have a pictorial guide.

J.B.