IGNORED

How do you lower a 2nd Gen Venture

I'm back and looking to buy a Royal Star Venture. I've owned an 83, 86, and 89 Venture Royale. I was not able to flat foot these bikes but never had an issue until I had to have major back surgery (thank you Ms. drunk driver :(). I sold my 89 after I almost dropped it when my foot slipped at a red light and the back pain it caused was almost too much to handle. I'm ready now to get back on one but not unless I can flat foot it. Yesterday I tried out a Royal Star Venture, Newer Goldwing, Kawasaki, and a Harley (all touring bikes). The only one I could comfortable flatfoot was the Harley and of course it was the most expensive. I really have my heart set on a Royal Star Venture. Is there a safe, logical way to lower these bikes that won't ruin the handling? Is there an aftermarket comfortable seat that may help?

Thanks for any advice.:322:

I am 5'5" 175lbs I had an 87 Venture also, but it was just too tall for me, I switched to a 2nd gen and thought about lowering it, but I went with a cut down Corbin seat, it lowered the seat ht at least 2-3" and with a set of thick soled boots with a good heal I am fine. I also run very little air in the rear shock. If you ever get down to Pa and want to sit on my bike, let me know.

:080402gudl_prv: Craig

I have a 29" inseam...:confused24:

Fixed the problem on my 07 midnight by raising the forks in the triple clamps 1 inch. There's a write up on the procedure in the 2nd gen tech section.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=939

That the cheapest fix if you're handy with tools... a bike lift and have about 2-3 hrs to do it...

Next, as others have stated you could have your seat reworked.

The most expensive is buying and installing a lowering kit...

Edited by CaptainJoe

Find someone who knows what they are doing to lower the front.

I DID,,,, last Friday. Wow, that bike is now MINE!

Bill Little (Wild Bill on this forum) is in NC (near Charlotte). Too bad he is not in your area.

He knows his stuff. Me and his wife, Ruth, assisted. Took it down 1.5" and it makes a world of difference. I also have the rear lowered with the Baron's kit (but had custom dog bones made for 3/4").

So, yes, find someone to help and lower it.

It's a one day change that will make it a whole different bike.

A "kit" is not needed in the front. Baron's has front components available, but most do without.

Below is my post on STAR Touring about it when someone asked HOW:

You have to jack the bike, put some wood under the tire, remove the passing lamp assembly if you added one, "split" the fairing, pull the handle bars, pull the tripple tree, remove the fork covers,,,,,,

then a few hours later you loosen the fork clamps and drop the bike on the forks,,,, 1.5".

We ended up pulling the front tire to lessen the fight.

Turn the shrader valves about 45 degrees out,,, if you plan to use them again (maybe add extensions to them).

Then take all those parts over on the floor and put them back on.

Bill is metecilus and skilled and (with the passing lamps) takes about 6 hours (two people).

I would not attempt it myself,,, and I did stay in a Holiday Inn.

I just came back from a local afternoon ride,,,, I LIKE IT!!!

And I will probably have the kickstand shortened.

Edited by Mike G in SC

I am 5'5" 175lbs I had an 87 Venture also, but it was just too tall for me, I switched to a 2nd gen and thought about lowering it, but I went with a cut down Corbin seat, it lowered the seat ht at least 2-3" and with a set of thick soled boots with a good heal I am fine. I also run very little air in the rear shock. If you ever get down to Pa and want to sit on my bike, let me know.

I'd love to take you up on that. I also fly so a quick flight down to PA is doable whenever the weather is nice. What's the nearest small airport to you? I'm 5'8" so I hope just changing the seat will do it.:cool10:

I'd love to take you up on that. I also fly so a quick flight down to PA is doable whenever the weather is nice. What's the nearest small airport to you? I'm 5'8" so I hope just changing the seat will do it.:cool10:

Reading Regional Airport is only 5 miles away, I will gladly meet you there. Let me know.

Craig

Reading Regional Airport is only 5 miles away, I will gladly meet you there. Let me know.

Craig

Craig,

I'll be driving down to Kentucky to pick up my new 05 Midnight Venture this Sunday or Monday. My route will take me just north of Reading PA. I could make a quick detour. Will you be around Sunday?

• 1 year later...
I raised the fork tubes in the triple tree for the front 1 inch. I placed a lower profile tire in the back to lower it about a inch. The lower profile tire makes the speedo a little fast, but worth it.

What size tire did you go with?

• 4 months later...

Can you post some pics. Thanks

I had a lowering kit on my 99, took it off. didn't like the way it handled. Go with the seat mod first. then lowering kit if you must.

Ya that. :goodpost: I had a lowering kit on mine that PO had put in and it was a major improvement in handling when i put the bike back to stock height. Do the seat mod. Good luck! :322:

A friend of mine has I think a 2000 Yamaha RSV and he had short inseam and was going to sell his bike then he got a Corbin seat and had them narrow the front now he sits flat footed and riding every day. I would go the seat route just me as fooling around with lowering might cause bike to not ride correct. He said the seat saved his day just having a ball now riding. He sent his seat back for them to narrow but it you tell them up front they will narrow it before they send it to you. If you want his ph let me now he will be glad to talk to you about it. Larry