IGNORED

OK.. this was a little wierd.. on/in bike..

KIC

So I'm in the process of removing the 16 valve cover bolts and adding washers to stop my couple of small leaks. I'm also replacing the spark plugs as I work in each area... I pop off the spark plug cap to replace the front left plug and I see what looks like a big washer behind it... When I removed it, it was a 1984 quarter.

How the heck did a quarter get in that tight area behind the cap...? :confused24: That just hits me as weird... the plugs looked like they were in for a long time... but it's a 1989...:detective:

So I'm in the process of removing the 16 valve cover bolts and adding washers to stop my couple of small leaks.

Bad idea. You should notice that the cover bolts have a shoulder on them that snugs against the head. The rubber donuts on top put the proper tension on the cover. Overload it and the cover could break.

Better to replace the 16 rubber donuts. And cover gaskets. Might as well check valve clearance while you're in there.

Bad idea. You should notice that the cover bolts have a shoulder on them that snugs against the head. The rubber donuts on top put the proper tension on the cover. Overload it and the cover could break.

Better to replace the 16 rubber donuts. And cover gaskets. Might as well check valve clearance while you're in there.

It is certainly possible to put too thick a washer, or stacked washers, and damage the cover. However, a thin washer should not be a problem and adds a little pressure to a worn gasket. I will use this idea on my VR.

:080402gudl_prv:

It is certainly possible to put too thick a washer, or stacked washers, and damage the cover. However, a thin washer should not be a problem and adds a little pressure to a worn gasket. I will use this idea on my VR.

:080402gudl_prv:

Guess the 64 thousand dollar question is.... what is a thick washer vs. a thin washer...? :confused24:

Everything seemed to tighten snugly. Didn't hear any " cracks" when tightening.. also although the bolts were tight, there didn't seem to be much pressure on the rubber. looked like 6 +/- of the rubbers were lightly seeping/leaking.

It's done know.. guess it will be a wait and see.... maybe i should start looking for some new valve covers.... :shock3:

GaryZ.. the BEST investment you can make if you do anything with those bolts is a ratchet box end... best $10.00 bucks I have spent...:happy65:

Works Great for leaky covers. I don't think anyone is going to stack enough washers on there to hurt anything.

Works Great for leaky covers. I don't think anyone is going to stack enough washers on there to hurt anything.

Well...wouldn't be the first time I was used as a test monkey.... we will see ! Hope I don't have to post another " you told me and I didn't listen" thread....:shock3: