IGNORED

2006 RSTD Ultrastar

I started working to modify my 2006 RSTD to make it more comfy for my wife and to add a little more storage space for long trips. It is a work in progress but so far I've added a Venture trunk mount with grab bars, a third party Harley tour pack and a genuine Harley passenger backrest. I also found a vintage Harley trunk trim piece that I bought on a whim, for little of nothing but it worked out pretty good I think. I also added Harley hooded trim rings to my passing lamps. I've added a nice and loud Steibel air horn that has gotten folk's atttention on more than one occasion. I plan to add some lights to the trunk mount and get the trunk painted to match the bike. Once that's done I plan to start on a batwing fairing. The jury is still out on which one to go with, but I'm kind of a penny pincher and am considering the Stealth at USA trailers.

I also added some Road King pipes that sound really sweet! I've got less than $100 in the slip ons, clamps and fabricated nount! Anyway, I thought that I would share my project with you guys and if any of you have suggestions on the fairing, feel free to send them along!

PS. Please excuse my shop! I know it's a mess, but it is warm and dry!

• 3 months later...
I also added Harley hooded trim rings to my passing lamps.

Do you have a part number for these? Are you using them with the stock Yamaha Passing light bucket or are you using harley passing light buckets. Those look really nice and match the headlight bucket exactly. Please provide some details on what is involved.

Very nice bike.

Thanks for sharing

RSTDdog

Do you have a part number for these? Are you using them with the stock Yamaha Passing light bucket or are you using harley passing light buckets. Those look really nice and match the headlight bucket exactly. Please provide some details on what is involved.

Very nice bike.

Thanks for sharing

RSTDdog

yes??? do tell?

yamaha oem lamps are 4-3/4 inch

harley is 4-1/2 inch

:detective:???????

I bought them on ebay from robw23 and the listing was:

VISOR STYLE FRENCHED PASSING LAMP LIGHT TRIM RING SET 230485269778

Thanks for the positive comments. I'm still planning to put a fairing on it just haven't decided to turn loose of the $$$$

Thanks,

Tommy

I bought them on ebay from robw23 and the listing was:

VISOR STYLE FRENCHED PASSING LAMP LIGHT TRIM RING SET 230485269778

Thanks,

Tommy

Can't find that listing anymore, but I found the Harley Part number using google. 69732-05

You installed these on the Yamaha housing?? Yours has the clamp screw on the bottom that goes sideways?

Thanks,

RSTDdog

http://www.surdyke.com/hdimg/69732-05.jpg 69732-05

VISOR BEZEL, PASSING LAMP

Email Product Info

Price: $48.62

Msrp: $59.95

A must have complement to the Visor Style Headlamp Trim Ring, these chrome-plated Visor Style Trim Rings recess the passing lamp into the housing, and add a traditional eyebrow design to the passing lamp shell. The trim ring stretches the profile of the bike for a long, lean appearance

Fits: Fits 62-later models equipped with Original Equipment or accessory Auxiliary Lamp Kits. (Sold in pairs).

Yes, the screw goes in sideways. At first I was afraid that they might pop off but I've never had amy problem with them and they look really nice. It looks like Yamaha would make something similar. I gave $38+shipping (new) for mine so if you watch for a while you may find them a little cheaper.

Tommy

Looks good. Yet no answer on the yamaha or harley lamp size?

Part # says you have harley lamps and harley visors 4.5 inch:confused24: lamps.

My local HD dealer has the visor bezel listed above in stock. The part number I posted is just for the bezel. I looked at them yesterday but didn't have a tape measure. The parts guy said they fit 4" lamps??. I'll try and measure them today.

When I measure my Yamaha lights, the bucket and trim ring itself look to be close to 4 3/4" across on the outside.

RSTDdog

Edited by RSTDdog

I measured and the stock yamaha bucket is 4 3/4" across. The HD 69732-05 Frenched visor trim rings are also 4 3/4" across on the outside. The HD rings use a clamp style attachment (sideways screw across the bottom) That tightens the trim ring around the bucket. So these are a viable option with the Yamaha bucket. These are also available after market from what I have seen. My HD dealer gets 59.95 for them in the HD package.

RSTDdog

Edited by RSTDdog

• 1 year later...

There is a small gap at the bottom of mine but not 3/4"... Probably closer to 1/4". I'll check it the next time I'm out and I'll shoot a picture too. I think they look really nice. I got a Wide Open Custom fairing for it and had it and the trunk painted and striped OEM and it's a very nice, clean look.

I came out of a store the other day and a HD rider and his wife were checking out my bike. They were very nice and very complimentary of the bike. The wife wanted the seat and the dude was surprised that it was a Yamaha. That's a Yamaha?! Are you serious?! It really made my day. Quite honestly, I don't think that I could be any happier on any other bike. This one has got everything that I need and I can sit in the saddle literally all day long. In November I rode the Ozarks and but over 1900 miles on it in 4 days. Planning to head down to Bike Week and Key West in March. Can't wait!!

I'll get you some info and a picture on the lamp rings ASAP.

I went out to measure the gap on mine and it is exactly 1/4 inch. I took a small piece of insulating foam and wrapped it with a piece of chrome tape cut to fit, both foam and tape about 1 inch long, then fit it into the curved slot of the ring to fill out the gap... I've tried to attach an image... I'll try again if it doesn't upload.

Thanks for the comments. The bike is pretty much finished now but I really don't have any really good pictures of the finished product. I've got one that I made last summer but since this was made I've put my stock pipes back on. I had forgotten how nice they sound. When I was a kid I had a 66 Chevy II SS with a custom built 327... White of course. The first time I rode this RSTD I felt like I was sitting on the hood of that ol' Chevy II, just enjoying the breeze and the responsiveness... The sound of the exhaust, the power... AWESOME! Anyway, here's a pic. I'll try to get a few more when the weather breaks.

[. When I was a kid I had a 66 Chevy II SS with a custom built 327... White of course. The first time I rode this RSTD I felt like I was sitting on the hood of that ol' Chevy II, just enjoying the breeze and the responsiveness... The sound of the exhaust, the power... AWESOME! Anyway, here's a pic. I'll try to get a few more when the weather breaks.

I also had a 66 chevy II SS when I was 16. 327 4 speed. red with red water color button in tuck. everybody wanted water color button in tuck back then but it cost about $350 to get the whole interior done. a lot of money back then.