This bike came with no owners manual and my search skills are apparently limited.

I was wondering what the warning symbol directly below the side stand warning is. Maybe fuel? :confused24:Also I think I'm going to have to change the thermostat. Coolant is flowing through the radiator long before the temp gauge comes up.

Then there's the battery warning mod I need to do, which I have found info on.

First of all Rosie, welcome to our little group and we hope you join, It will be the best $12 you will ever spend. Second, it helps to get answers when people know what bike you are talking about. After looking at your profile, it looks like you have a 1990 Venture listed. There is a program on how to add that to your name at the top of the page.

If you are getting flow through your radiator, it may not be a defective thermostat. Below your radiator, there is a hex head valve control that is a bypass on your cooling system. The easiest way for me to describe the closed position is the top of the letters on the face of the valve should be pointing toward the 5 O'Clock position. Otherwise, it will bypass the thermostat.

RandyA

Ok, this is simple if you think of it like a computer with Windows. It's bass ackwards.

The drain valve controls the flow into or past the radiator. With the drain valve set so the "On" is at the two o'clock position the coolant bypasses the radiator. This is for draining the system. Or.... in a crisis situation where your thermostat is stuck shut, you can use this to get to a safe haven to make repairs.

When you have the valves set with the "OFF" at the two o'clock position coolant flows into the radiator directly. This is the setting for normal operation of the bike.

The screw you see on the left side is your detent. Under that screw, and it is a special screw with a modified tip, there is a spring and a ball bearing that seats into the valve body. If it's clean yiu will feel the detent easily.

If you remove the screw wrap a rag around it to keep the ball from wandering off. Don't ask. :whistling:

That valve is known for leaking in it's later years. It's just a seep and only in cooler weather but it does make a mess. skydoc_17 here makes a replacement kit with screw and o-ring for a few bucks to resolve that problem. Nice lil fix.

So think Windows ......Start is for Stop. Makes sense right. :crackup:

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

It will be tomorrow before I can check things but I appreciate the help.

Just signed up to be a supporting member.:cool10:

Now we got to give the right answers!! Anyone know them??:whistling:

Just kidding. It will be the best 12 bucks you ever spent. Ask AWAY!!

AND WELCOME!!

Well the valve was turned to the bypass position. I turned it to the position mentioned above and I still have flow through radiator before temp gauge comes up.

When I turn the valve I don't feel any detent. Is it supposed to stop in either position? Because I can turn it a full 360 degrees.

Finally got the low fuel warning to come on. Will be glad to get this old gas/stabil burned out and get some fresh gas in it. Seems to get a lean misfire occasionally. Granted this is just in the garage, not out on the open road.

Using Mike's pictures as a guide, there are two detents 180 degrees apart. The valve does rotate 360 degrees. Mine was so gunked up that I couldn't feel the detents either. I used Skydoc's kit to get mine back in order.

Maybe the thermostat has been removed or is stuck open.

The only way to know for sure is to remove it.

If you are going to do that, you might as well just have a new thermostat and O-rings ready.

Do you two want us to leave you alone for awhile? youre getting kinda sweet on each other and none of us wants to see that.......:no-no-no::rotfl::rotfl:

Brian

Geez..does that mean we hijack this thread and start a whole discussion on what we would get if they mated a Snaggletooth with a Dingy.....:confused24:

:rotf:

Do you two want us to leave you alone for awhile? youre getting kinda sweet on each other and none of us wants to see that.......:no-no-no:

Brian

Man .... throw in a lil Bro-mance and let the rumors start rolling.

Where's our lil Cupcake? Waiting for him to chime in. :crackup:

Geez..does that mean we hijack this thread and start a whole discussion on what we would get if they mated a Snaggletooth with a Dingy.....:confused24:

:rotf:

Probably don't want to go there KIC. More that likely it would be very large, fast and have big teeth. :stirthepot::stickpoke:

Mikey

Man .... throw in a lil Bro-mance and let the rumors start rolling.

Where's our lil Cupcake? Waiting for him to chime in. :crackup:

Probably don't want to go there KIC. More that likely it would be very large, fast and have big teeth. :stirthepot::stickpoke:

Mikey

And not to mention it will be excellent with an M14, which I qualified highest score in a battalion of 330 recruits at Parris Island.

I hate that close combat crap, 500 yards, open sights, 10 in the black, not to mention 200 & 300 yards.

:sign I win:

Gary