IGNORED

Throttle cable making scraping noise

So today I may have done a monumentally STUPID move.

My new Parts bike has very nice & comfortable heavy grip with the V on the end weights of I decided to swap them out.

The parts bike grips came off fairly easy. I took off the OEM ones from the left side of my bike w/o issue. The one on the throttle would not really budge. I twisted it to full throttle & gave a little more umph. Nothing ridiculous, & I heard "CLICK" now when I turn the throttle I hear a scraping noise at a certain point. ( & yes it does bind slightly & not snap back all the way)

BTW I did get the grip of by using compressed air & blowing it off. (shudda done that 1st)

I am assuming that I may have snapped a few strands inside on the cable since it still works & what I hear is the broken strands scraping the cable cover.

1. How difficult is this to replace?

2. Since I heard the click after turning to full throttle, would it be the cable on the front of the grip?

3. How much of a PITA is this to replace & how much of the bike will I have to tear down AGAIN?

It never ceases to amaze me how I can CREATE problems to fix. :bang head:

The plus point is I have the parts bike with full replacement parts on hand.

At this point you probably should split the starter swich housing apart and look at the cables. If there is ANY fraying, they need replaced.

Also look at tke white plastic housing on throttle grip that cables hook into and see if any appear broken.

Chech the adjuster onder the starter switch housing and see if it damaged.

It is probably just the 'pull' cable that may be damaged. But this is always the one to fail. The 'push' (return) cable sees little pressure in its life.

You may need to disengage cables to operate them and throttle independently to find source of damage.

Gary

At this point you probably should split the starter swich housing apart and look at the cables. If there is ANY fraying, they need replaced.

Also look at tke white plastic housing on throttle grip that cables hook into and see if any appear broken.

Chech the adjuster onder the starter switch housing and see if it damaged.

It is probably just the 'pull' cable that may be damaged. But this is always the one to fail. The 'push' (return) cable sees little pressure in its life.

You may need to disengage cables to operate them and throttle independently to find source of damage.

Gary

I think so too. I hear the scraping in the fairing. not the grip, but its a good opportunity to clean everything up & lube the cables

I think so too. I hear the scraping in the fairing. not the grip, but its a good opportunity to clean everything up & lube the cables

If the scraping is on the left side, then you may have damaged the cable junction box.

This is where the two lower & two upper cables interface along with the cruise cable.

I think outer & inner left fairing need to come off.

A failure in this assembly could possibly leave you with a wide open throttle condition when you least need it.

Gary

So today I may have done a monumentally STUPID move.

My new Parts bike has very nice & comfortable heavy grip with the V on the end weights of I decided to swap them out.

The parts bike grips came off fairly easy. I took off the OEM ones from the left side of my bike w/o issue. The one on the throttle would not really budge. I twisted it to full throttle & gave a little more umph. Nothing ridiculous, & I heard "CLICK" now when I turn the throttle I hear a scraping noise at a certain point. ( & yes it does bind slightly & not snap back all the way)

BTW I did get the grip of by using compressed air & blowing it off. (shudda done that 1st)

I am assuming that I may have snapped a few strands inside on the cable since it still works & what I hear is the broken strands scraping the cable cover.

1. How difficult is this to replace?

2. Since I heard the click after turning to full throttle, would it be the cable on the front of the grip?

3. How much of a PITA is this to replace & how much of the bike will I have to tear down AGAIN?

It never ceases to amaze me how I can CREATE problems to fix. :bang head:

The plus point is I have the parts bike with full replacement parts on hand.

Don't worry, between you and me, we will create and solve all the problems of a 1st Gen Venture... some day we will be famous...:rotf:

If the scraping is on the left side, then you may have damaged the cable junction box.

This is where the two lower & two upper cables interface along with the cruise cable.

I think outer & inner left fairing need to come off.

A failure in this assembly could possibly leave you with a wide open throttle condition when you least need it.

Gary

It figures, like I said It never ceases to amaze me how I can CREATE problems to fix!

I guess that isn't very strong? My twist was not that drastic. (although I'm known for being an animal) I turned it full throttle & once it hit end, I just gave it a little more twist.

At worst case scenario, I have all the parts I need on the parts bike. That throttle needs cleaning & lubricating as it feels gummy.

Dingy I see in the manual the throttle wire joint you are talking about.

If that wheel is plastic then it's possibe I did something. Oh well, no matter. Bernice was going to be down for a while so I can BLING her out with all the new stuff. It's only February anyway...not like it's May!

Dingy I see in the manual the throttle wire joint you are talking about.

If that wheel is plastic then it's possibe I did something. Oh well, no matter. Bernice was going to be down for a while so I can BLING her out with all the new stuff. It's only February anyway...not like it's May!

The wheels, there are two of them, are indeed plastic.

I meant to ask, when cleaning all the throttle linkage, gears cables etc what do you guy recommend? A carb cleaner?

After cleaning I will lube everything with white lithium grease.

Carb cleaner would work.

Regular motor oil is recommended for lubricating cables. The dry lubes might be a decent alternative.

I wouldn't use any kind of grease on them as it tends to go sticky with age.

Well the throttle issue turned out to be nothing (but a PITA).

When I took apart the grip The cables at the throttle assembly looked new. So I figured I had to have screwed something up at the throttle wire joint. So off I went taking the whole left side of the bike apart to get to it. I know what I was getting into as I 1st looked at the parts bike.

Well I expected to find broken plastic but instead found that the screws on the cap on the throttle wire joint were loose (the screws were changed sometime previous) and by overturning the throttle the case opened. It seems the cable holds were also loose. The scraping noise was the cable against the cover. I cleaned it, lubed it, & put it all back together using the OEM screws from the parts bike.

The cruise work ok & the throttle snaps right back better than before.

It just took FOREVER to dismantle & reassmble the left side!