IGNORED

headset for 1986 Royale

It's the same 5 pin headset used by the current Ventures, Goldwing and many (all?) Harley.

The problem isn't finding one, but choosing from the multitude available. You can find headsets at wingstuff and sierra electronics. Of course dealers should be able to get headsets too, but at a higher price point I think.

I personally use a low end J&M and am very pleased with it. If you're an audiophile you may want something different. I'm sure others will weigh in.

I just purchased a 1986 Venture Royale and it didn't come with headsets. Is there any out there still on the market? Or ideas to make something work?

Getting a headset is pretty easy, if not all that cheap :)

Here is something to think about:

The electronics on that bike are 26 years old. As a group we are already experiencing significant problems with all the electronics on these bikes .... The TCI, the CMU, the CLASS system and Cruise controls.

Keeping them going is possible, but they are still 26 years old :)

The Audio equipment, when it works, seems to be useable, but modern stuff is much better and more reliable. It's not that hard to simply replace the old stuff with new and the cost can be reasonable. What is difficult and expensive is getting things like your cellphone and mp3 player to work well with the original equipment.

There is a powerful argument to be made for removing the old stuff and upgrading to new.

It's also possible that what you have will fit your need, and will work for years to come, I just wanted to pose the option.

I would love to see a group buy for an audio/communications replacement set up. Mine all work, but it's just a matter of time before I'll want another MKII to go with it and maybe set up to be a daily driver.

That's a good idea but a bit tricky because everyone has different needs and wants.

Currently I have a high end Autocom fed by a Sirius Radio, Garmin GPS and my phone.

The Autocom is in the trunk with the phone, and the Sirius Radio and GPS x 2 are up front.

I am toying with adding a FM Media Player where the old system lived. That would also feed the Autocom and the speakers.

I'm just thinking of my recent visit to the car stereo place, where I had dozens to choose from will all kinds of different options including bluetooth and cell phone linkages. The key was a mounting bracket that fit my Highlander and a wiring harness to interface with the existing wiring. And, of couse, someone who knew what they were doing.

Could a bracket/box be designed/constructed that would drop in to replace the existing panel? One that would allow standard mounting mobile audio components to slide in?

I am thinking 1st gen of course. :detective:

I'm just thinking of my recent visit to the car stereo place, where I had dozens to choose from will all kinds of different options including bluetooth and cell phone linkages. The key was a mounting bracket that fit my Highlander and a wiring harness to interface with the existing wiring. And, of couse, someone who knew what they were doing.

Could a bracket/box be designed/constructed that would drop in to replace the existing panel? One that would allow standard mounting mobile audio components to slide in?

I am thinking 1st gen of course. :detective:

That is actually quite easy.

Once the spare plastic is cut away from under the panels, an ABS sheet can be fastened to the top, completely covering the rectangular hole left.

That is plenty big enough to take a standard DIN mount for a car stereo and the whole lot can be installed under a marine weatherproof cover.

:worthless:

Nice to have some... I'm just saying...

One thing at a time :p

But this might give you the general idea:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/PLMRCB1-Black-Water-Resistant-Shield/dp/B000MCLVZO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329448051&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: PYLE PLMRCB1 Black Water Resistant Radio Shield: Car Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31LwqOcs-WL.@@AMEPARAM@@31LwqOcs-WL[/ame]

I had bought at the recomendation of the fairing manufacture of the faring I put on my Kawi 900. One slight problemo. Where the radio sat in the fairing (it was made for a HD) was impossible to lift the cover because of the handle bars and risers on the Kawi. As it turned out the "car" type radio didnt stay long on the bike anyways, but thats another story. Anyways its like new, I did spray paint it silver from white.

WOW thanks for all the input. It's got my head spinning about maybe I should think about upgrading the audio. I'm used to riding with my Ipod and Skullcandies for tuneages.

I guess the main thing I was thinking about was the communication between other bikes via the CB since my buddy has one on his Wing. Trying to stay on the cheap side, so my wife don't go into coniptions over putting more $$$ into my on the road mistress. :no-no-no: Might have to think about using walkie talkies for a while.

The upgrades that have been thrown at you won't give you CB or intercom.

While the sensitivity of the receiver isn't great it's passable. Sound quality is just fine to my ears. Cassette is mostly obsolete, but it ain't rocket science to replace it with a hook up for your Ipod.

I'd suggest you get together with your wing buddy and have him try his headset on your bike to make sure the audio and CB work ok. If so, you can get a headset and replace your cassette with an Ipod hook up for not much more than $100.

The upgrades that have been thrown at you won't give you CB or intercom.

While the sensitivity of the receiver isn't great it's passable. Sound quality is just fine to my ears. Cassette is mostly obsolete, but it ain't rocket science to replace it with a hook up for your Ipod.

I'd suggest you get together with your wing buddy and have him try his headset on your bike to make sure the audio and CB work ok. If so, you can get a headset and replace your cassette with an Ipod hook up for not much more than $100.

Yeah ... I think the Autocom will give you intercom :D

I could also wire the CB into it, but I don't use CB anyway and If I were wanting CB I'd probably look here:

http://www.jmcorp.com/

None of these solutions is cheap ... I offer them only as alternatives. It remains quite possible that the on-bike equipment cam be made to work, and work okay.