IGNORED

can-am spyder rt limited

w.steve wells

i looked at one of these today in lexington ky,never thought i'd like them but i was really surprised it very well made tho the seating is different then the rsv i think after getting use to the angle it might be more comfortable,going back for a test drive the firsd the roads are dry, might make a good stable mate for the rsv. has anyone else tried these out:Venture::325:

I rode one and thought that it handled great. My problem is that they are just not made for tall riders. The dealer even told me when I was looking that I probably would not be comfortable on it. One dealer told me last year that Can Am was aware off the issue with tall riders and would possibly be coming out with one that would better fit. Haven't heard any more about it though.

The foot pegs were available when I was looking. They really don't help much though because you are limited how far out you can go because of the front fenders. I really like the Spyder and was close to pulling the trigger on one with the matching trailer.

If the boss jumps ship would that be treason or mutiny ? :no-no-no: :buttkick::bang head:

I rode one a couple years ago when they first came out. There were a number of issues with the first ones out..electronic controls, twitchy steering, seat covers, etc. Hopefully they got those taken care of in the last couple years. They tend to be kinda thirsty (tests mileage in various magazines has been in the mid 20's) Engine is a Rotax V twin like in an apprillia, though tuned for torque vs horsepower. I thought the handling was "ok", though definitely NOT like a motorcycle (think ATV). I was pretty cool though not to have to hold it up in traffic :). I'd consider one if in the market for a trike...

I took the wife on a test ride before I bought my 11 RSV. I have a friend that has one and loves it and I told myself I wanted one. On the test ride I just did not like the way I sat on it and was uncomfortable after an hour of riding. I also looked at an HD and the HD trike but once on the venture I knew I wanted another one and almost being a grown up it was time to go from the first gen to the much cooler and faster second gen.

I have talked to a few folks on the road with them and all seemed happy. The MPG is an issue from what I have read low 30's I think, however it does come in an automatic version I think. I got a buddy in Wisconson says his biggest problem with owning one after he test rode one was it reminded him of riding a snowmachine all the time. Do they have a "real" throttle or is it the trigger thing. That allways killed me on a snowmobile.

The one Freebird rode while he was visiting me here a few years ago was not the R/T unless he has ridden one since then. The R/T has an improved riding position but alas there is still room for improvement for legroom.

If you come to the International this summer you may get a chance to ride one. Pioneer Motorsports is a Can Am dealer...

During the process of deciding how/what I wanted when I was planning to "trike" my Venture I test rode one. I was impressed with the full dress touring features. I did not like the seating position but that is something that most drivers can adjust to. The main problem that I had was the steering. It seemed to me that if I even thought about moving the handlebars I was across the center line! The dealer who accompanied me (separate machine) told me that it usually took 300-500 miles of riding to get used to the steering. I will have to do the same when I trike my RSV of course.

I still love the design and If the steering were less "touchy" I'd really consider it as a purchase. Watching the demo driver make some pretty high speed turns in a parking lot without sliding or raising a wheel shows the stability of the machine.

I know that there are after market seats, foot boards etc. But, I really don't think I should have to spend hundreds of dollars when the adjustments could be built right in.

Also, and I cannot confirm this personally, but the MPG figures I am seeing indicate that my Grand Marquis may get better mileage.

I'll ride my 85 until the time comes that either it won't ride or I can't ride it anymore, in the meantime my thoughts are on a CanAm for sure. Sat on a couple of them, but have not had the pleasure of riding one YET. Riding one should come to pass this spring. A dealer in the area here will rent one for a weekend so a feller can actually get used to it,,, that's my plan. People who I've talked to that have one, are really quite happy with it and I suppose that would be the best indicator as to the well being of ownership,,, same as owning a first gen I suppose, you just don't know if you don't have one.

Sat on a couple of them, but have not had the pleasure of riding one YET. Riding one should come to pass this spring. A dealer in the area here will rent one for a weekend so a feller can actually get used to it,,, that's my plan.

I think the rent would be the best money ever spent if its within reason$$$$.......a 400/500 mile ride...hotel... then take the long way home would answer the comfort, MPGs, steering and any other questions.

It would certainly be more enjoyable if they actually implemented this tilting mechanism.

HomeNews

View All Motorcycle News

BRP Developing Tilting Can-Am Spyder

Patent application defines tilting mechanism for three-wheeler

By Motorcycle.Com Staff, Feb. 11, 2011

http://www.motorcycle.com/images/icon-email-new.gifhttp://www.motorcycle.com/images/icon-print-new.gif

Bombardier Recreational Products has filed a patent application for a control system that would allow the Can-Am Spyder to lean like a single-track motorcycle.The patent application was filed July 10, 2009 by Daniel Mercier, advanced concept engineer at BRP, but was only recently published. The patent application describes a three-wheeled vehicle like the Can-Am Spyder only equipped with a tilting mechanism.

While current Can-Am Spyders turn in the direction the handlebars are pressed, the leaning mechanism in the patent will require countersteering, something familiar to conventional motorcycle riders.