IGNORED

Smokers...faulty lighters!

jfoster

Just watched a story on CBS where MK lighters from China can malfunction allowing the flame to stay lite after you release to the button. The story was on a man that put the lighter back into pants pocket where it ignited setting him on fire, resulting in his death.

This appears to be yet more proof that smoking can kill you...

Which is not intended to be a commentary on people's right to choose to smoke - I quit 34 years ago for my own reasons, but I believe that each of us must choose our own path on this...

Sounds a bit suspicious to me. I have a hard time believing that if my pocket caught fire, I would be unable to beat it out before I was badly burned.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I guess it could have been a coat pocket but you would think it would be easy enough to get out of the coat.:confused24:

Cotton "pats" out quite easy.

Polyester or nylon do not "pat" out that easy once burning.

BUT, I would think that the flame would use up all of the oxygen in a pocket pretty quick.

The only way I can see this being fatal is if he was around something else extremely flammable or there were other "chemicals" involved in the smoking.

But then I was surprised once at just how much of ME could be on fire without me noticing it.

Geesh! Frigging copycat!!

I was the original test dummy for setting my pants on fire long before anybody could blame it on the Chinese.

Most of you are old enough to remember two things, no make that three,

Stike Anywhere wooden kitchen matchs. Wooden snappy clothes pins. And of course .....the famous match guns of childhood.

You would cut off just the heads of the matchs and build up a supply of ammo. The snappy clothes pin would be taken apart and one groove notched out so the steel spring would seat in it when you reversed the side pieces and put it back together with a rubber band to hold the sides and a strip of sandpaper in the center.

Pull the spring back and lock it in place. Drop a match head in the center on the sand paper. Find your target and flip the spring and enjoy that flaming ball of sulfur infused wood scream towards your target, who was usually one of your best friends equally armed or even better, an unarmed sister.

At the best you would try to explain the lil smoky black spots on your clothes to your folks as "I got hit by a lighting bug". At worst..... and I mean the all out worst that could happen was having your mom or any of the other 24 moms on the block come out of nowhere just as you were drawing a bead on their kid and shoving a double loaded and cocked matchgun into your pants pocket with a half a box of matchheads in it.

There is no "patting it out", there is no difference between cotton, denim or any other material. It ALL burns! FAST!!!

I passed my mom, three cats and a Buick making my way to the creek.

Who needs defective products from China? I've been making my own for years. :big-grin-emoticon:

Mike

Sounds a bit suspicious to me. I have a hard time believing that if my pocket caught fire, I would be unable to beat it out before I was badly burned.

According to CBS news it began leaking lighter fluid which was ignited from the open flame. Twenty eight days later he died from his injuries. They had some video from the families attorney that had recreated a similar incident with another lighter.

Geesh! Frigging copycat!!

I was the original test dummy for setting my pants on fire long before anybody could blame it on the Chinese.

Most of you are old enough to remember two things, no make that three,

Stike Anywhere wooden kitchen matchs. Wooden snappy clothes pins. And of course .....the famous match guns of childhood.

You would cut off just the heads of the matchs and build up a supply of ammo. The snappy clothes pin would be taken apart and one groove notched out so the steel spring would seat in it when you reversed the side pieces and put it back together with a rubber band to hold the sides and a strip of sandpaper in the center.

Pull the spring back and lock it in place. Drop a match head in the center on the sand paper. Find your target and flip the spring and enjoy that flaming ball of sulfur infused wood scream towards your target, who was usually one of your best friends equally armed or even better, an unarmed sister.

At the best you would try to explain the lil smoky black spots on your clothes to your folks as "I got hit by a lighting bug". At worst..... and I mean the all out worst that could happen was having your mom or any of the other 24 moms on the block come out of nowhere just as you were drawing a bead on their kid and shoving a double loaded and cocked matchgun into your pants pocket with a half a box of matchheads in it.

There is no "patting it out", there is no difference between cotton, denim or any other material. It ALL burns! FAST!!!

I passed my mom, three cats and a Buick making my way to the creek.

Who needs defective products from China? I've been making my own for years. :big-grin-emoticon:

Mike

:rotfl::rotfl: I know what you mean about junk from China. We weren't allowed to have firecrackers so we made our own. Take a match stuff it into a spent 22 cartridge tap down the open end {Lightly may I add} put it on a hard surface and hit it hard with the hammer. All was good till the end blew off the cartridge. I believe he still has the scar on his leg. That one warmed our butts.:rotfl: Sometimes its hard to believe we lived through it.

China, land of everything. Even lighters that don't stop burning. Whoda thunk!:D

I suspect this fellow may have been in poor health to begin with, and he may have had substandard burn care also. Generally after that period of time, its organ failure that will be fatal.

The liklihood of the above, sure doesnt excuse the manufacturer of a leaky, non extinguishing lighter though.

Ive found that almost all chine products are below standards that we are used to. It makes it kind of scary, as more and more of auto parts are manufactured there, even by oem manufacturers, not to mention the cheap knockoffs labelled as gennie oem parts.