IGNORED

Michelin comander ii

I have been running the narrow front tire for about 3 years. What it does is it make low speed maneuvering and balance much better. When cornering at speed with a stock front tire you have to push it into the corner with the narrow tire it just falls into the corner with no effort.

I've had the Commander II rear on for a couple of weeks on my RSTD.

Very happy,, would put it up there with the Avons. We'll see if it gets beter miles.

Didn't need a front yet. I have the original Michelin Commander there. (Stock size).

I've run the small and stock size on it. Prefer stock.

Mike G in SC

Where are you buying the CommanderII and for how much?

I'm running a stratoliner front wheel in a 130 70 18 and I don't see them making the Commander II in that size either ( atleast not yet) and that size also fits Goldwings. Their current availability in front tire sizes Sure leaves them out of some markets. I do like the handling though with that front tire size and I don't seem to have any high speed issues.

My original Commander rear tire has a round 11k with around 2/32 or less left in the center. I'd really like to get a matched pair and right now it seems Avon and Dunlop are my only options.

Don't need to buy right now but I will soon.

RSTDdog

I am very hesitant to run the narrower front.

I have sent messages to Michelin concerning their lack of a front to fit our bikes. I let them know that they are leaving themselves out of a big market share by not having the stock front available for RSV and RSTD. They say that their marketing department is determing what other sizes that they may add to future production. Maybe if more of us email and/or call them they will get the message sooner than later, if ever.

Heres the email address: conrel.en@michelin.epowercenterdirect.com

Phone #: 1-800-642-4354

Their response is below,

January 11, 2012

Hello Ross,

We truly understand your concerns and we have forward your information to the Marketing Department for review. Please check back with us in a 4-6 months. There could be additional sizes this year. Please feel free to contact our Michelin Motorcycle Department at the number below to further discuss your concerns.

We appreciate your business and loyalty.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Alvin

Consumer Care Department

Certified Michelin Product Expert

I was noticing that the 130/90 16 Commander Front is labeled as Reinforced and has a 73H load index rating which is higher than the OEM rating of 71H for the stock tire size 150/80-16.

The higher load rating would indicate a heavier carcass design, might result in better high speed stability. But then the MT90-16 (130 eqivalent in the E3) is rated at 72H. Every tire is different. Stability at high speed probably will have more to do with the mounted shape of the tire and contact patch.

All the press releases I have seen indicate two more sizes to be released in ealry 2012. From looking at the current charts, I am surmising those will we Wing sizes since they don't currently offer a front or rear OEM size for the Wing.

RSTDdog

Where are you buying the CommanderII and for how much?

I'm running a stratoliner front wheel in a 130 70 18 and I don't see them making the Commander II in that size either ( atleast not yet) and that size also fits Goldwings. Their current availability in front tire sizes Sure leaves them out of some markets. I do like the handling though with that front tire size and I don't seem to have any high speed issues.

My original Commander rear tire has a round 11k with around 2/32 or less left in the center. I'd really like to get a matched pair and right now it seems Avon and Dunlop are my only options.

Don't need to buy right now but I will soon.

RSTDdog

I bought from Bike Bandit. Without the discount coupon I had it would have been $150 delivered. Took about a week from CA. Saw same price at a few others,, Amazon, MC Superstore. Got no complaints, it feels like the Avons I've had for years,,, GOOD. I got it hoping for more miles on the rear.

Riding two bikes I won't know till late this year.

Mike G

I have been running the narrow front tire for about 3 years. What it does is it make low speed maneuvering and balance much better. When cornering at speed with a stock front tire you have to push it into the corner with the narrow tire it just falls into the corner with no effort.

X2, way better.....:cool10: Paid $256 OTD and have only mounted the front. Have abot a grand left on the Shinko, what a crapper........

When you guys say you are hoping for better milage out of them what are you hopintg to get or what are you getting now? I get about 17,500-19,000 out of my rear tire and around 22,000-24,000 out of the front (both e3's). I ride 2 up about 75% of the time and do not take off or slow down quickly. I do ride a lot of miles a year though, around 32,000 a year

I'll be watching to see how they handle in wet weather and how many miles people are getting. I had a set of the original Comanders on mine and liked them but they stopped making them so I went to the E3 and really like them but they are quite a bit more in price. The Comander II is supposed to last a lot longer according to the info I read on them.

When you guys say you are hoping for better milage out of them what are you hopintg to get or what are you getting now? I get about 17,500-19,000 out of my rear tire and around 22,000-24,000 out of the front (both e3's). I ride 2 up about 75% of the time and do not take off or slow down quickly. I do ride a lot of miles a year though, around 32,000 a year

Rick,

I get more like 13,000 mi out of my rear Avons (on my RSTD).

So a fair amount less than you. That's why I'm hoping for more miles.

Mike G