IGNORED

emissions valve relocation, Help!

I have a 2007 Venture & just installed a centerstand. All was well until I scraped the centerstand on a driveway curb. I noticed that the stand was hitting the Emissions Valve, so it wasn't up all the way. I tried to relocate the E valve per the Rivco directions. No luck, the directions seem easy enough, pull the bracket off and mount it backwards. It didn't move the E Valve far enough to allow the centerstand to not contact it. I was thinking of drilling new mounting holes higher up on the frame. Any ideas?

I have a 2007 Venture & just installed a centerstand. All was well until I scraped the centerstand on a driveway curb. I noticed that the stand was hitting the Emissions Valve, so it wasn't up all the way. I tried to relocate the E valve per the Rivco directions. No luck, the directions seem easy enough, pull the bracket off and mount it backwards. It didn't move the E Valve far enough to allow the centerstand to not contact it. I was thinking of drilling new mounting holes higher up on the frame. Any ideas?

You didn't say which center stand you had, but attached is the installation directions for the Rivco. Basically you have to remove the valve, flip the bracket and mount it on the other side of the frame. I found I had to even add a couple of sleeves to get it out of the way. A PITA but i finally got the room....

PS: Sorry Dave I didn't read the intire post.... bad habit.... I found I had to take a couple of sleeves to get mine out of the way.

PPS: I just fliped the bracket around and used both 10mm screws again. But... I just noticed in #3 that they only used one screw to hold the valve on. Maybe tyhat was my problem?? Anyway mine's on and clears... :)

Edited by Condor

• 2 years later...

I looked up this old thread, since I had a similar problem.

I couldn't make much sense out of the Rivco instructions about flipping the bracket, and didn't much care for the part where it said you may have to further bend the bracket.

After looking at it every which-a-way, I decided to leave the valve mounted to the frame, and to simply eliminate the bracket that holds the ??? round thingy that has a 5/8 pre molded hose that comes off the top and curves 90 degrees to go into the emissions valve.

What I did was simply eliminate the pre formed hose.... rotate the ??? thingy 90 degrees and use a short piece of 5/8 hose to mount it directly to the valve. With the short, stronger, reinforced hose, and two small screw type (radiator) clamps,...it's quite secure without the bracket.

My only concern is whether or not it'll cause any problems having rotated the thingamajig, having the hose come out, now sideways, as compared to out the top, as it was originally.

It's plenty secure, and is now well out of the way of the centerstand.

I've a couple hundred miles since I've done this with no issues noticed.

Any opinions?:whistling:

I looked up this old thread, since I had a similar problem.

I couldn't make much sense out of the Rivco instructions about flipping the bracket, and didn't much care for the part where it said you may have to further bend the bracket.

After looking at it every which-a-way, I decided to leave the valve mounted to the frame, and to simply eliminate the bracket that holds the ??? round thingy that has a 5/8 pre molded hose that comes off the top and curves 90 degrees to go into the emissions valve.

What I did was simply eliminate the pre formed hose.... rotate the ??? thingy 90 degrees and use a short piece of 5/8 hose to mount it directly to the valve. With the short, stronger, reinforced hose, and two small screw type (radiator) clamps,...it's quite secure without the bracket.

My only concern is whether or not it'll cause any problems having rotated the thingamajig, having the hose come out, now sideways, as compared to out the top, as it was originally.

It's plenty secure, and is now well out of the way of the centerstand.

I've a couple hundred miles since I've done this with no issues noticed.

Any opinions?:whistling:

I posted that 8 years ago and I really can't remember what the heck I did to get the valve out of the way. I think I remember someone posting that the pic in the RIVCO instructions was backwards?? That said I'll be doing a refresher course as I just picked up another center stand from Rivco out of the special run of 20 to go on the '07....

Just put one on my 04 RSV.

1.Take the big hose off the valve it goes towards the back of the bike.

2. Remove the two 6mm bolts (the ones with he 10mm heads). They hold the bracket to the frame they are located right above the valve.

3. Lower the assembly so you can get at things.

4. Remove the three allen head bolts. The two bolts on the ends are longer they have a nut on the back side remove the nuts first before the bolts. The whole thing the bolts hold together will come apart in two halves.

5. Flip the bracket over, put the two long bolts back in loosely. IMPORTANT The center bolt needs two flat washers between the bracket and the valve otherwise you'll bend the bracket and the mounting bolts will not go back in the frame properly.

6. Remount the assembly with the two 6mm bolts.

7. Reattach the big hose you took off in step one.

8. Get a zip tie and move the big hose slightly so it does not rub on the rear shock boot.

Hope this helps!

Now if I could just find a float bowl as stated in my post I'd be happy too. :fingers-crossed-emo