IGNORED

Passing gear??????

Get this: The guy whom sold me my 1st Venture (I've had many other bikes) actually told me that it had a "passing gear" when I mentioned to him about the clutch slip! I had never heard of anything like this before, but he swore he found it on the internet after the guy he bought it from told him about it. Correct me if I am wrong, but these bikes are like the Suzuki Cavalcade, prone for an under engineered clutch that needs attention because of slippage when the throttle is twisted hard. I talked to a guy at PCW racing today who is putting together a complete clutch package for around $120.00 or so. Is this pretty much inline for a price? I measured a couple of friction disks, and they were borderline in spec, so I am going for the whole package (it has the 6 spring setup). I would appreciate any help you guys could give me, as I lost my job and my unemployment ran out sometime back. Thank you!!

Edited by boyter

I see you have an 85 Venture. No these bikes don't have a passing gear associated with a slipping clutch. Your bike being an 85 should already have the 6 spring set up and if it does you can buy a set of heavy duty springs and it should stop your slipping clutch problem. How many miles do you have on the bike?

We have another Venturerider member named Rooster that lives in Marion, NC. He is a bit of a character but he is a good guy and knows these bikes pretty good. You should contact him.

RandyA

Yes, I have already met Rooster (Gerald Cable). I used to see him in the mornings when I had a job, and looked at his Venture several times. Do you know any other place that might carry the clutch pak any cheaper than $120.00? If so I would appreciate a shout. As far as I know it has 69,000 miles, or at least that is what the guy told me that I bought it from (speedo crashed at 59,000). You can call me at 828-803-4184 if you wish to and let me know. Thanks for responding!

I see you have an 85 Venture. No these bikes don't have a passing gear associated with a slipping clutch. Your bike being an 85 should already have the 6 spring set up and if it does you can buy a set of heavy duty springs and it should stop your slipping clutch problem. How many miles do you have on the bike?

We have another Venturerider member named Rooster that lives in Marion, NC. He is a bit of a character but he is a good guy and knows these bikes pretty good. You should contact him.

RandyA

My 85 had the same problem. I replaced the the clutch springs with heavier duty ones, and that helped some, but i could still get it to slip. My bike didnt even have 30K miles on it. I would suggest the whole clutch especially for 120

I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the diffrerent vendors yet to aquire parts. Please shoot me a web address or phone #. Thank you!!!

Send a PM to Earl (skydoc 17)...He is a member here that fixed me up with the clutch up grade that included installation instructions that even I could follow.:thumbsup: "Welcome to the site"

"Passing Gear"......mine works quite well when I get behind Yammer D.

As long as I am not below 25 MPH in 5th gear .....Just roll the throttle:stirthepot:

Hey Jeff,

Welcome to the VR.Org Forum! I offer a Heavy Duty Clutch Kit for the MKI VR in the Classifieds, here is the link:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3765&title=first-genmki-vr-heavy-duty-clutch-spring-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

If you would like to replace ALL of the Clutch Friction Discs, I have a Kit for that as well.

Here is the link:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3854&title=first-and-second-gen7-new-genuine-yamaha-clutch-friction-discs-21&cat=22

Between the two kits, you would have a "Better than stock" Clutch, and the price includes USPS Insured, Priority Mail Shipping. This Kit comes with complete written instructions, and color pics, as well as my personal email address and cell phone number.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I have all of these parts in stock. It would be my pleasure to help you with this project! :thumbsup2:

Earl

Y'all don't get it, his bike has a "passing gear", you pass it from 1st straight to 3d, cause it don't work. :stickpoke:

:rotf::rotfl:

He probably doesn't understand that one yet... but that was funny... :happy65:

When I was looking to buy a Venture, I rode one with the second gear slip/pop out and it was down right scary !:shock3: