IGNORED

Spare Fuel for long Trip

My riding buddy carries a turkey baster, which in an emergency he can use to siphon some fuel from another's bike. I always though that was an excellent item for an emergency situation. Granted it not much use if riding alone. But there is always another biker coming along eventually and we do tend to stop for each other!

Hello: This has been discussed on previous posts. Serveral good suggestions came up. My son in law is a wildland firefighter. He turned me on to " Sig" bottles. Small fuel bottles that they carry in their back packs. Bright RED and labeled FUEL. I have been carrying two 20 oz. bottles (One in each saddle bag) for the past two years with no issues. I have never had to use them on the bike yet. I keep them fresh by using them on the lawn mower and filling them at home from the lawn mower gas can. Filling them at a commercial pump is a little difficult with the forced delivery, usually end up making a mess! Having spare fuel even if it is only 40 ounces gives me piece of mind to know that I should have enough to help myself or another biker should the need arise. Keep us posted on your trip. Besure to let me know if you pass this way.:)

Extra fuel is a good idea especialy when traveling across Nevada....:whistling: This subject was discussed on another board and one suggestion was a fuel bottle from REI. I've always shyed away from carrying extra fuel because of the percieved safety factor from leaking fuel, but these bottles seem to be the answer. They're compact enough to fit several in the bottom of the saddle bags, and secure enough to not leak. The next time I have to head east I'll definately have a couple. Put a cap full of SeaFoam in with the fuel and long term storage isn't a problem....

Does anyone take spare fuel on a long trip? Im thinking about taking spare fuel on my cross country trip, since i am riding solo. Does anyone know a good source for containers?

:rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl: Heck, I don't even take "spare" fuel with me on short runs though Yellowstone. :bang head::bang head::bang head:

:rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl: Heck, I don't even take "spare" fuel with me on short runs though Yellowstone. :bang head::bang head::bang head:

Or fuel up, when most of us topped off & you ran out of fuel as a result. Pacidaho bought the gas can (after I told them, back at the gas station). I got the fuel & made the service call. So we could get you back to the gas station & then to the big event dinner, back in Cody.

:2cents::canada:

Hey Russ, You know how you like to change people's handle here? Not unlike Wrongway to Cheap Shot??? How about Gas Can, or No Fill? Or Tracks on Pavement? Maybe Roadside Recovery Project? We are in the process of petitioning the fuel stops in Yellowstone to change their names to Russell Stops. Maybe then you will take a moment and top off....New name! Top Off!!!! We love it! Heck, we love you!

Hey Russ, You know how you like to change people's handle here? Not unlike Wrongway to Cheap Shot??? How about Gas Can, or No Fill? Or Tracks on Pavement? Maybe Roadside Recovery Project? We are in the process of petitioning the fuel stops in Yellowstone to change their names to Russell Stops. Maybe then you will take a moment and top off....New name! Top Off!!!! We love it! Heck, we love you!

Welllll, actually me thinks it would have to be "Notopoff". :bang head: :bang head: :bang head: But then, someone did saw we would be passing another station about 5 miles down the road........... and I always listen to what I'm told. :rotfl::rotfl: :rotfl:

However, as I am now the proud owner of a "can of shame" :crying: , we should not have that problem in the future.....

Hey Russ, don't feel like the Lone Ranger here. You should have seen Vic and I weaving back and forth sloshing what little fuel we had left in the tanks to the pitcock side because we forgot to top off in Thermopolis Wy on the way to Cody 80 miles away. We're proof that fumes do burn..... :)

Hey Russ, don't feel like the Lone Ranger here. You should have seen Vic and I weaving back and forth sloshing what little fuel we had left in the tanks to the pitcock side because we forgot to top off in Thermopolis Wy on the way to Cody 80 miles away. We're proof that fumes do burn..... :)

Yup... it can happen to the best of them... and to old ferts like us. :rotfl: (you too Paul)

I made a spare tank to go in the back carrier on my 1986 VR, out of a metal, Johnson, Boat gas tank. It's a extra 6 gallons and works great on a long trip. It fits perfect, and is easy to install. 1 fresh air line, 1 rubber gas line, a 3 way gas block, a on off switch, 3 hose clamps and some paint for the tank, unless you like red.The line hooks in on the left side of the motor, just before the fuel pump. Simple and easy. :080402gudl_prv:

I made a spare tank to go in the back carrier on my 1986 VR, out of a metal, Johnson, Boat gas tank. It's a extra 6 gallons and works great on a long trip. It fits perfect, and is easy to install. 1 fresh air line, 1 rubber gas line, a 3 way gas block, a on off switch, 3 hose clamps and some paint for the tank, unless you like red.The line hooks in on the left side of the motor, just before the fuel pump. Simple and easy. :080402gudl_prv:

Hey, what happen to pictures around here?!!??

Guest tx2sturgis

I like the Reda Cans, they aren't cheap but they are made to fit towards the rear of the saddlebag. I carried one last summer for the trip to Sturgis. Never needed it, but nice to have an extra gallon of gas, 'just in case'.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I like the Reda Cans, they aren't cheap but they are made to fit towards the rear of the saddlebag. I carried one last summer for the trip to Sturgis. Never needed it, but nice to have an extra gallon of gas, 'just in case'.

Now that's cleaver. How's it fit in the RSV/TD saddle??

Guest tx2sturgis
Now that's cleaver. How's it fit in the RSV/TD saddle??

It fits in the rear of my 2007 RSV saddlebag just fine, but I lifted the saddlebag's foam pad, folded it forward ahead of the Reda Tank, and that lets the Reda Tank sit lower, and if it DID leak around the cap, it should run down and out the drain holes in the saddlebag without soaking the foam. Mine has not leaked, but you have to make sure you put the sealing gasket back exactly as it came out when you actually use the included spout.

Folding the foam pad forward also gives it about another 1/4 inch of clearance between the tank and the saddlebag lid. I think a thin cork pad would be a good idea under the tank, but I have not done this.

The tank is about $30. Thats a lot of $$$ for a 9/tenths gallon plastic gas-can, but cheap for insurance on the road. And the can IS very heavy plastic, not cheap-feeling at all. You could carry 2 of these and feel even better about traveling in the boonies at night. I suspect the extra fuel would get you about 30-40 miles, which might be enough. Or not. YMMV!

If your pulling a trailer, these things are worth having, since you will probably see a reduction in your fuel range before going on reserve. They do take up some room in the saddlebag, of course, but if you have a trailer, then thats not really an issue.

I bought mine on Amazon and posted a review there. I have also seen them at Harley-Davidson dealers.

I'd buy another if this one ever got left somewhere or stolen.

http://www.redagascan.com/

Edited by tx2sturgis

• 11 months later...

Not sure why a person needs to carry extra fuel. would be very dangerous in an accident. I would think it If you plan the trip there shouldn't be any need. The longest stretch that I know of without any gas is Blanding UT to Hanksville Utah. 130 miles

Even across hwy 50 in Nv it is only 70 miles between stops.