IGNORED

second gear repair success stories??

fixit3546

With a new post questioning second gear repair.

I got to wondering how the others came out. i know there have been a couple of people asking about it. and one did a third gear repair.

How did y'all come out? did everything turn out well, have you done it yet??

Mine is still holding well. I had to change my speedo out so i'm no sure of my mileage; but i'm thinking around 6,000 - 7,000 so far. And still going strong.

Thanks again RandyA !!!

I had second gear repaired on my '85 last year at about the 50K mile mark. I never realized how much I missed second gear until I got it back.

The question for me concerning whether to repair it or not was: could I replace my bike for the cost of having it repaired. I don't think that I could have.

Anyway, it's fixed. The bike runs great. Now. . . if I can get the tape player fixed and the water leak fixed and the . . .

:080402gudl_prv:

Ya know, I been wondering the same thing.

As you may know, I did the under cut thing and it worked so good that when the soft thrust washer wore out again, it still did not skip during a hard pull. It began to rattle while on the side stand. I just wish I had replaced the soft washer with a new harder one, rather than just flip it over, but I did not know the new one was improved (and neither did the local dealer).

I ended up replacing my gearset this past summer with one from an 86 engine that I had picked up and it is working real good.

I also want to encourage those out there that have the 2nd gear problem that it is fixable and it does not have to cost a fortune, but it does require some wrenching. I spent about $28 fixing mine the first time and put 60,000 more miles on it and as I said, if I had spent a few more bucks and replaced the thrust washer, it would still be going strong.

Again, thanks fixit, and I hope this may help some make that decision to fix 2nd gear because there is nothing like going thru the first three gears on an early 1st gen Venture at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE!!

RandyA

Getting ready to tear mine down, gleaning info from here b4 I start, hopefully uncomplicated. Just need to see if anything else to do with it while out of the bike. WOuld like to do vmax upgrade, not enuff snow to push to come up with the extra funds!

Dan

Getting ready to tear mine down, gleaning info from here b4 I start, hopefully uncomplicated. Just need to see if anything else to do with it while out of the bike. WOuld like to do vmax upgrade, not enuff snow to push to come up with the extra funds!

Dan

Dan, as fixit and I can attest to, it is doable without being expensive. Most of the parts you have will continue to be good for a long time. You may have to tweak some on the parts you have, such as forks and gear dogs, if you don't want to buy everything new.

Just let us know what you want to do and we will be glad to walk you through it.

RandyA

Again, thanks fixit, and I hope this may help some make that decision to fix 2nd gear because there is nothing like going thru the first three gears on an early 1st gen Venture at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE!!

RandyA

Brotha,,,, aint THAT the TRUTH!!!!!!! Bout the time that tach touches 4800 and the hyperdrive is engaged, that great big old heavy full dressed scoot turns those poles on the side of the road into a blur - then when you stop and your riding buddy on the 103inch V-twin or 1100 Virago walks over and asked what on earth you did to that old bike and can you do it to his... Yea baby,,,,,,,, WHAT A BIKE.... I still say (kinda like the KX500) that the early Ventures were THE most misunderstood - under marketed - under sold bikes of all time - FREAKIN AWESOME (minus the 2nd gear and stator problems of course)!!!

Hey Grandpa,, mind if I ask what kind of dollar it cost to have yours repaired?? Did you have it done completely or did you do some of the work yourself??

'Puc

... fix 2nd gear because there is nothing like going thru the first three gears on an early 1st gen Venture at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE!!

RandyA

I agree with you, but i would like to add, once you felt the same on a Max, you can't get your Mouth stop drippin ...

The Maxxes VBoost-System fits bolt on on the 1Gen's and surely give you a second Stage :225: With the slightly bigger Carbs and the Vmax Cams, it's getting more and more Powerful :D :D :D :D :D

The Maxxes VBoost-System fits bolt on on the 1Gen's and surely give you a second Stage -Squeeze

Send me more snow and I'll put the WHOLE Vmax setup on there!! Just need the money, then RandyA and I can line'em up and see what's up!

Dan

[quote=KiteSquid;161943]I have had no problem with my 2nd gear...

is this something I need to worry about???

Nope, just a 1st gen MK1 sitiation. That and the stator are the only known problems for us 1st gens. However, you guys get to deal with----- CHirps, whining, overloaded electrical systems, looks like an HD, gets lost in a parking lot full of HD's, hotter than heck at a traffic light in summer, no where to mount your stuff, etc., etc., etc.:rotf::rotf::rotf:

:bighug:

We still like ya', tho.

Dan

The Maxxes VBoost-System fits bolt on on the 1Gen's and surely give you a second Stage -Squeeze

Send me more snow and I'll put the WHOLE Vmax setup on there!! Just need the money, then RandyA and I can line'em up and see what's up!

Dan

Who am i, sending a fellow Member SNOW ?? ??

I don't want that white Troublemaker and PMS-Generator in my Neck of the Woods, neither do i want to plague others with this.

On the other Hand, i'm tinkering around with my EFI and i'm 4 Weeks behind the Schedule. Need to get the 40mm Throttle Bodies completed and connected to the Airbox. Computer is tested and partly programmed. A other Exhaust needs to get a O2-Sensor mounted. Once i have the new Intake System ready, mounting and Rest of the programming should be done on a Saturday. New Schedule says, first Flight should be in first Week in March. Weather shouldn't be Problem then. At least some Days per Week.

I really do not know how you have to spend on a Vmax Motor in the States, but i'm sure if you want to go this Way, a complete Engine might be the better Choice.

The 2nd Gear Fix itself might not be expensive, but it takes a Lot of Work and also some Parts, at least some Gaskets, which also cost some Bucks nowerdays. Also a complete second Motor would allow you to work on your Engine without the Pressure of Time. The Units fit bolt on, just the Shift Linkage needs to be exchanged.

On the other Hand, i'm tinkering around with my EFI and i'm 4 Weeks behind the Schedule. Need to get the 40mm Throttle Bodies completed and connected to the Airbox. Computer is tested and partly programmed. A other Exhaust needs to get a O2-Sensor mounted. Once i have the new Intake System ready, mounting and Rest of the programming should be done on a Saturday. New Schedule says, first Flight should be in first Week in March. Weather shouldn't be Problem then. At least some Days per Week.--- Squeeze

It's nice to be you, Squeeze!! Good thing you don't live in the States or you would be to busy working on everybody elses bike! Good luck and give us the info on how it runs when you get done! And pics, too!

Dan

I have had no problem with my 2nd gear...

Nope, just a 1st gen MK1 sitiation. That and the stator are the only known problems for us 1st gens.

Thanks.... I was concerned that this issue covered all Ventures as it is in the Watering Hole section, not 1st or 2nd Gen tech talk section.....

Sorry for my confusion....

• 4 years later...

im replacing 2nd gear in a 06 vmax and the cases are still split. problem is that the transmission and middle gear turns and shifts fine when the gears are in the lower half but when i put the transmission and middle gear in the upper half they won't rotate. i have double checked all of the parts are there and in the right order but i am at a loss for why i am running into problems when i try to spin the gears in the upper half of the block.

any suggestions?

It may be in 2 gears at once. Look at the gears and verify that you only have 1 engaged at a time as you shift the gears. Is it possible that you have a wrong shift fork installed? If not, you probably have something installed wrong so that it's binding the gears.

Frank D.

to Freelance

Rocket ran into that same issue when rebuilding my 85, he took it all apart and put together and it worked fine, but I dont think he ever found why it was binding. But send him a pm and see if he can add some info.

Brian

This thread is way old and should probably have had a new thread started, but oh well...:)

[quote=KiteSquid;161943]I have had no problem with my 2nd gear...

Nope, just a 1st gen MK1 sitiation. That and the stator are the only known problems for us 1st gens. However, you guys get to deal with----- CHirps, whining, overloaded electrical systems, looks like an HD, gets lost in a parking lot full of HD's, hotter than heck at a traffic light in summer, no where to mount your stuff, etc., etc., etc.:rotf::rotf::rotf:

:bighug:

We still like ya', tho.

Dan

Well not the only problems.There is also the faulty Zerk on the drive shaft that doesn't actually grease the splines,oh and don't forget about the faulty frame welds that aalowede the frame to sag so you can't get it on the center stand and really bad handling.Oh yeah and the faulty front forks on the 83's that bottom and clunk.( all personally experienced)

On there other hand I have never lost my Royal Star in a field of Harleys,the electrical system is the same as the 1st gen,and I never noticed the heat even in the heat of a Utah summer.The chirping and whining.....we enough of that has happened to others that they are problems,but I have never experienced them.:backinmyday::backinmyday::bighug:

We love you and your antiques too.

Mine is a rocket ship, I went beyond repairing it and swapped out the entire tranny from an 86 MKII that was donated to me. It is a lot of work, but with the tech section write up in the 1st Gen tech section, it was fairly easy, my cost was just for replacing the gaskets. It helps if you have a friend or two to help with the removal and re-installation. I love my 1st gen, thats why I stuck with one when I bought my trike Now there are two 1st Gens in my garage, a MK I and a MK II.

[ATTACH]71791[/ATTACH][ATTACH]71792[/ATTACH].

Edited by DragonRider