IGNORED

Difficutly of my project

Chaharly

Have any of you ever had the fairing off? What about swapped wiring harnesses. I want to swap the harness from my 83 with a CB to my 83 without. I believe this is going to be a job, so what are some of your opinions? Would it be easier to splice in the CB? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks- CJ

i read your post earlier and have been thinking about it. If you already have the Venture amp and radio/intercom, adding the CB won't really benefit much from changing the harness. To add the CB you need a power source (not necessary to be within the harness), then connect it to the already existing amp (that controls the overrides) and the antenna (also not part of the harness)

My son added the complete Venture audio (from and '86) to the '83 he had for a while and just added the necessary wiring to the existing harness. He's very talented that way.

Good Luck!

Dave

i read your post earlier and have been thinking about it. If you already have the Venture amp and radio/intercom, adding the CB won't really benefit much from changing the harness. To add the CB you need a power source (not necessary to be within the harness), then connect it to the already existing amp (that controls the overrides) and the antenna (also not part of the harness)

My son added the complete Venture audio (from and '86) to the '83 he had for a while and just added the necessary wiring to the existing harness. He's very talented that way.

Good Luck!

Dave

That's what I would do.

You need to ask yourself one question.

Who you gonna talk to on this CB?

Put your money into a bluetooth setup and step bravely into the 21st century.

Gary

Lol I ride with alot of those wingers, and they're pretty set in their ways :p I'm taking a trip to PA with my brother this summer and hes gonna be on his wing, so i'd like to be able to talk to him on the way.

Good Luck!

Dave

Now the next part is getting all the necessary diagrams!!! :225: Where do i even start to find those?

The necessary electrical diagrams should beeither on this site or available via some member. As far as swapping out the harness it is a bit of a job but not that difficult. My suggestion is to start from the headlight area and work your way back. Yes I have swapped out my harness but not to add radio...

The other issue is finding the wiring harness for the radio and for the CB as they are separate and usually not included with the main harness. The speaker wires are part of the radio harness. You may luck out and find one new.

Your best bet is a harness for '84 or '85.

I mentioned this in your other thread, but, in the long run it would be less frustrating, more reliable and maybe even more cost effective to install a JMCB2003.

For less than $400.00 you get a new CB, intercom and mp3 port for music. You don't have to count on 25 yo audio system working.

IMHO

Dave

I mentioned this in your other thread, but, in the long run it would be less frustrating, more reliable and maybe even more cost effective to install a JMCB2003.

For less than $400.00 you get a new CB, intercom and mp3 port for music. You don't have to count on 25 yo audio system working.

IMHO

Dave

I agree with Dave. One other alternative is do what I did on my '83. Velcro'd a handheld CB to the dash above the CLASS controll. Some models will take a remote speaker/mic that could be stuffed into the helmet. Not totally convenient but good enough and a lot cheaper. On a group ride I just listened to the chatter.

I just did this myself.. sorta. I ripped the wiring from a parts bike for the radio/cb & handlebar & passenger remote and put it on my bike. I just did one connector at a time, it took most of an afternoon and had to remove the seat, side covers and the fairings on both bikes.

For just the CB alone, it will be easy, there is a 5-pin din harness that goes from the main box in the left fairing over the the cb box in the right fairing and then another connecter for power I think, not too many wires really and I don't think you'll have to remove the fairings to do it. What about the antenna, does your bike without the cb have the antenna already?

Mmmm.. Spaghetti :)

http://www.haveparrotwilltravel.com/gallery2/albums/userpics/normal_%21006%7E0.jpg

I just did this myself.. sorta. I ripped the wiring from a parts bike for the radio/cb & handlebar & passenger remote and put it on my bike. I just did one connector at a time, it took most of an afternoon and had to remove the seat, side covers and the fairings on both bikes.

For just the CB alone, it will be easy, there is a 5-pin din harness that goes from the main box in the left fairing over the the cb box in the right fairing and then another connecter for power I think, not too many wires really and I don't think you'll have to remove the fairings to do it. What about the antenna, does your bike without the cb have the antenna already?

http://www.haveparrotwilltravel.com/gallery2/albums/userpics/normal_%21006%7E0.jpg

The bike with the CB has a shot antanne, so i think i need a different one anyways

The bike that im putting the CB in didnt have one before, so will the radio thats already in it wire up right to the 5 Pin harness?

The bike that im putting the CB in didnt have one before, so will the radio thats already in it wire up right to the 5 Pin harness?

IMHO

Dave

i do agree that that is probably the best way to go, but as a broke college kid without $300 to his name, the free idea with more work involved works for me a little better

I would think so... You can pull off that radio panel and look at the controller/amplifier box below it, it should have an empty receptacle for it. I couldn't imagine Yamaha using a different box whether you had a cb or not. If you get stuck on anything I can look at how mine is wired up its still pretty fresh for me since I just did it the other weekend.

I would think so... You can pull off that radio panel and look at the controller/amplifier box below it, it should have an empty receptacle for it. I couldn't imagine Yamaha using a different box whether you had a cb or not. If you get stuck on anything I can look at how mine is wired up its still pretty fresh for me since I just did it the other weekend.

Ok cool thanks alot! Its starting to sound like an easier project than what i first thought! Will definately save me a few thrown tools for sure!