IGNORED

Rear Wheel Valve Leak.

Hi.

I found I have a slight leak from my rear wheel valve where it goes inside the rim. I managed to seal one on another wheel (I have two rear wheels and alternate them on new tyres) but this one is SOLID. It is a very slow leak but the tyre had lost a good amount of pressure since October when it was laid up.

I managed to seal the first leak by removing the two locking nuts and cup from the valve and pushing the valve inwards allowing air to escape and clean the seating by moving the valve assembly from side to side but as I say this one is SOLID..

Firstly to find out if you have a leak spray some water/washing up liquid mixture and look for the tell tale sign of small bubbles. This leak has happened to both of my wheels now due to corrosion.

Secondly I have not seen how the valve fits into the inside of the rim as I have my tyres fitted for me and I cannot find anything in the manuals that shows how the assembly fits.

I PRESUME I know how but presumption can be dangerous so your excellent help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Neil. (Old Miner). :backinmyday:

Edited by Old Miner
More Information.

If thats the original valve stem its time for a new one. Sounds like the rubber is deteriorated. The tire must come off the rim to replace the stem. I angled mine to the right side so when you check the air, your laying on the "high" side of the bike. Still have to lay down but at least its a bit more accessible.

Totally agree but I was under the impression that the dealer had replaced the valve when he fitted a new tyre and balanced the wheel. His defence was that it was not a standard valve fitting so it was not replaced. Obviously not.

Lesson learned. Going to strip back end down now and lubricate the rear swing arm bushes so it will be off to the dealers with the wheel and a big stick.

Neil. (Old Miner). :backinmyday: