IGNORED

What are some of your favorite I PHONE / ANDROID apps?

muaymendez1

I started this thread over on facebook and got a lot of great apps for my phone as well as getting thanked for a few apps that I posted up as well.

Just cool things that help us with our riding or everyday tasks .

So here goes.

1. MY CAR TRACKS for android... it allows you to record your driving progress and when you are done you cant print your route on google maps. This sis great when I go ride with a few friends and I dont know where I am. i get back home and can view my route.

2.FLASHLIGHT.... Creates a bright light on your phone. great for guys sbeaking out of the house early in the morning( to go to work)

3.FORUM RUNNER. .. This app allows me to read the forum easier from my phone with alerts for private messages and threads subscribed to

4. THE WEATHE CHANNEL, google maps, twitter , and facebook. self explanitory.

5. Pandora radio.. An online radio station geared by the music you listen to. I no longer plug my mp3 player in to my bike .

6.G strings tuner . An app to tune your guitar... just as effective as a tuner

7. GAS BUDDY... Shows you view maps where the gas stations are in relation to you and get this THE CHEAPEST GAS AROUND

8. And last but not least ANGRY BIRD

That's a good list. I have items 2, 4 and 5 on my Iphone. I don't have the Guitar Tuner because I have Amplitude, Guitar Toolkit and AmpKit which all have tuners built in.

OK....most of my other favorites requite "jailbreaking" the Iphone. I jailbroke mine the day after it became available for the Iphone 4S.

Automatically you get Cydia when you jailbreak. That gives you access to MANY new apps that Apple doesn't allow. So some of these are not available via the Apple App Store. Some that I have installed are:

Guitar Toolkit

Amplitude

AmpKit

PDANet

TapaTalk

Winterboard

Ring.Tones

SBSettings

Convert

Activator

Camera+

IFile

Craigslist

Ebay

PayPal

Good for when I travel are

Choice Hotels

USPS Mobile

Unless something has changed, the guitar amp programs, Amplitude and Ampkit are only available for Iphone. I really like them though. They let you use your Iphone for a modeling amp. I use it in hotels. I just plug my guitar into my phone, select the amp model I want to use, put on a set of headphones or earbuds and jam away. You do have to buy a "dongle" that allows your guitar to plug into the Iphone.

Unless something has changed, the guitar amp programs, Amplitude and Ampkit are only available for Iphone. I really like them though. They let you use your Iphone for a modeling amp. I use it in hotels. I just plug my guitar into my phone, select the amp model I want to use, put on a set of headphones or earbuds and jam away. You do have to buy a "dongle" that allows your guitar to plug into the Iphone.

Oh crap Now I want an iphone

Since I sit in a vehicle 10 - 12 hours a day, I have blown up every version of Angry Birds...passes the time away and builds your frustration level to the hilt.

I just discovered Electrodroid which is cool if you understand the electronics world. Started using IHeart Radio so I can listened to my local talk radio channel and located the type of radio I want when I am out of town.

Also My Tracks follows your driving and route but doesn't have a way to download or have anybody see where you are at.

The coolest is PDANet. This allows you to use your phone as a wireless connection without extra charges to your phone ( check your specific plan for time usage etc)

TeleNav GPS is a good GPS app.

And check into Where's my Droid in case you lose your phone.

#1 forumrunner ( I can access this forum by going to forum browser, motorcycles, cruisers, Venture rider now if I can get here and talk to you fine folks, this has to be a #1 favorite

youtube, tons of great how too's here

slingplayer, I can watch my tv from anywhere

gps drive

around me

google earth

shazam

Tasker is the app that I think most exemplifies why I chose Android over iOS. It allows me to automate my phone in ways that Apple doesn't think necessary. I don't appreciate the locked down nature of Apple products.

With Tasker, I

• Silence my phone when I turn it face down and it is plugged in (at the office)
  • Automatically send a text message to my wife when I am riding the bike and arrive safely at the office.
  • Read me the morning weather from Wunderground, based on my GPS location
  • Send me the phone's location and a current picture when a keyworded text message is received
  • Launch Foursquare so that I can check in at certain locations
  • Strobe the flash/LED when I get the message my wife is on the way (we commute together)
  • Turn the sound off for ten minutes at the press of a button, then turn it on again (I call this 'Loo Mode')
  • Send an SMS telling my wife that I am close, so she can be in her building's lobby whenI arrive
  • I used to have it turn off the wireless at the office, but Google gets better location sensing at lower power when you use wireless.

I don't use it to its full potential. If you can imagine something needing automation on yur phone, it probably can be done.

Website. (geeky)

Android Market link:

http://intellidick.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/QR-tasker.png

The absolute BEST app I have on my Android is .... P.H.O.N.E. and it came with the thing .... I really like it allot ... I can press a few numbers and it lets me talk LIVE to people!!! Imagine that!!! and, every once in a while, the thing plays a tune and that tells me someone wants to talk to me ... I am so glad that app is there!! :rotfl:

Guest tx2sturgis

No one mentioned Dropbox.

I have mentioned Dropbox many times, and it works on iOS and Android, as well as Mac OSX and Linux. And even that off-brand operating system...winders. :whistling:

There are other apps that do something similar but Dropbox is so well integrated and works so well at what it does, its hard to justify anything else.

http://www.dropbox.com

No one mentioned Dropbox.

I have mentioned Dropbox many times, and it works on iOS and Android, as well as Mac OSX and Linux. And even that off-brand operating system...winders. :whistling:

There are other apps that do something similar but Dropbox is so well integrated and works so well at what it does, its hard to justify anything else.

www.dropbox.com

Dropbox has been lame on Android. It doesn't sync back to the cloud, AFAIK. It does allow you to pick which of the items on the cloud you want to manually download. For the space it takes on my phone, I'd rather just navigate to the web site and manually download. YMMV.

Dave

The absolute BEST app I have on my Android is .... P.H.O.N.E. and it came with the thing .... I really like it allot ... I can press a few numbers and it lets me talk LIVE to people!!! Imagine that!!! and, every once in a while, the thing plays a tune and that tells me someone wants to talk to me ... I am so glad that app is there!! :rotfl:

I have an Unfunny app that frowns when there is an unfunny joke in the midst. :( :( :( :(

CoPilot + Live Don't need a phone signal for it to work as a GPS.

Angrybirds

Bar Code Scanner

Hulu+

Kies Air for over the wireless syncing

RingDroid

2X Client for remote desktop access. Works good on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Ipad2.

Color Flash light

Fish Farts.....Keeps my 3 year old grandson busy for a long while

ABC's

Guest tx2sturgis
Dropbox has been lame on Android. It doesn't sync back to the cloud, AFAIK. It does allow you to pick which of the items on the cloud you want to manually download. For the space it takes on my phone, I'd rather just navigate to the web site and manually download. YMMV.

Dave

I do have it on my android tablet and it works fine. Works on my mac, ipad, and my iphone.

Not sure if maybe you have different settings or maybe use it in ways I dont.

Say I take a some pictures of friends with my iphone. And my ipad is sitting on the table. Also assume I dont have my synch cable with me. I can open Dropbox on the iPhone, select the pictures, and in a few seconds it uploads them to my dropbox folder in the cloud, whether thru the cell network or nearby wifi.

When I open the app on the ipad, the pics are there, ready to be edited and emailed on the ipad, if I wish. Or just showing the pictures on a large screen to friends. There was no fumbling with a cable, not bungling attempts to email myself with large attachments and then hope it goes thru.

Another example:

I'm surfing the web with my desktop iMac. I run across a picture of a motorcycle I like, and might want to share it to a friend by texting it to them over the iphone...but not now, maybe later.

I right click on the image, then 'save as'...and select the dropbox folder. That picture is now on my iMac, my iPad, my Android tablet, and my iPhone.

The next day, I open the app on the iPhone and my buddy looks at it and says yeah, text it to him.

I hit select the pic and send to his number and its there.

You can do the same thing with audio files, songs, videos, and pdf documents.

Its really handy for me. :happy34:

Guess I'm getting old or something .... I got a fairly new Android phone with al kinds of capabilities and reading what you guys have been posting ... sheeesh ... I have no desire to do much of any of that stuff. As long as I can talk on the phone, send a text, listen to music .... good enuf. Maybe it has something to do with having been in this computer support biz for so long, I am just tired of technology and my desire to learn new chit is almost non-existant.

Guest tx2sturgis
Guess I'm getting old or something .... I got a fairly new Android phone with al kinds of capabilities and reading what you guys have been posting ... sheeesh ... I have no desire to do much of any of that stuff. As long as I can talk on the phone, send a text, listen to music .... good enuf. Maybe it has something to do with having been in this computer support biz for so long, I am just tired of technology and my desire to learn new chit is almost non-existant.

I guess the computer screen that has the motorcycle app wrapped around it is enuff for you huh?

:whistling:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Maybe it has something to do with having been in this computer support biz for so long, I am just tired of technology and my desire to learn new chit is almost non-existant.

I heard that. :bang head:

I won't use any type of IM... I don't get that at all. I'll use the phone if I need to talk with somebody. Some days I think I was totally insane to start working on these things. I still question my sanity from time to time since I haven't quit yet... :doh:

I am like that in certain areas too. I must be getting old as I no longer HAVE to know how absolutely every widget on the smartphone or computer works. There was a time not all that long ago where I wouldnt sleep until I knew exactly how it all ran and how to interface every aspect . I guess Ive realized that there is life outside of the IT crap.

Brian

Guest tx2sturgis
I guess Ive realized that there is life outside of the IT crap.

Brian

Great observation. I drive a truck for a living and to me its just a job. (actually for me its a career). But thousands of songs have been written about it. A handful of TV shows, movies, and even video games. If you bought it, it came by truck. Americans could not live the life they now have without the goods brought by trucks. Many people collect truck models, own fullsize trucks as weekend toys, or go to the many truck shows around the country. I understand all that.

BUT.

When I jump out of that cab, and come home, I dont really have any desire to talk about loads or roads, or dispatchers or truck engines, or Perterbilt this or Kenworth that. I dont own a single t-shirt or ballcap with a truck brand or a truckstop logo on it. I've been doing it for 30 years. I love the transportation industry, but there is life outside of it.

I have it as a career, so I dont really want to be passionate about it when off-duty.

I have known a few railroaders and none of them played with model railroads on their weekends. One of my best friends worked for over 35 years for AT&T, and on weekends he NEVER answered his phone. Period.

So having said all that, pardon us you guys, while we play with computers and phones and apps and software. Its a hobby to us!

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

So having said all that, pardon us you guys, while we play with computers and phones and apps and software. Its a hobby to us!

And at one time, computers were a hobby to me .... and then I found I could make money at it and still play with my hobby.... that paying hobby lasted for over 20 years .... I'm tired of the hobby now... and I only do what I have to to maintain it as a job. Another couple years or so and I won't be doing it as a job anymore either.... (I hope!)

Over those years, I spent many sleepless nights writing programming code, learning new software, fixing peoples computer issues, travelling to clients locations, writing training and technical documents, putting on training sessions, doing seminars,... the list goes on. 12 to 16 hour days 6 and 7 days a week, countless hours of study and practical application, technical books coming out the ying-yang, .... I should be rich for all the effort I put in ... just wasn't one of those "lucky ones". But I ain't complaining .... it's been a great ride but I'm sure anxious to park this "truck" for good LOL