Freebird

Here is a pretty darn good video showing the installation of the Mic-Mute on a Honda Goldwing. Many of us here have the Mic-Mute on our Royal Star Ventures and I honestly think that it is one of the best things you can do to improve the audio system on these bikes. The installation is obviously different on the RSV but the components and operation is pretty much the same. On the RSV, you have to split the fairing but it's really a pretty simple installation. Also, we already have the passenger push to talk switch.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvBfCKVT_PM&feature=player_embedded]Mic-Mutes Install on 2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800 - YouTube[/ame]

That's correct and momentarily pressing either push to talk button, rider or passengers, will toggle both mics on and off. It's amazing how much quieter it is with the mics off and/or how much better your music sounds.

So I think what I'm hearing is that the mic is always open when listening to anything audio?? Interesting. I always thought it was off until the PTT button was pushed to transmit or speak to a pasenger... which ain't never going to happen because I take up too much room.... :whistling:

The mic on the RSV is ALWAYS hot. Push to talk is only for the CB. Intercom is hot all the time unless you have the Mic-Mute or some other cut-off devise installed. It doesn't matter if you are listening to audio or not...when the bike is running the mic is hot for intercom. Now if you never have a passenger, just turn the intercom volume all the way down and you should be fine.

The mic on the RSV is ALWAYS hot. Push to talk is only for the CB. Intercom is hot all the time unless you have the Mic-Mute or some other cut-off devise installed. It doesn't matter if you are listening to audio or not...when the bike is running the mic is hot for intercom. Now if you never have a passenger, just turn the intercom volume all the way down and you should be fine.

Thanks Don, :thumbsup2: you just saved me $140 bucks.... Next time the coffee's on me... :) My GPS has both MP3 and bluetooth so I'll be using it for music and directions. The only thing I'd want to use is the CB, and have that taken care of via a Nolan cable. I'm sorta surprised that Yamaha made the mic always open and picking up background. Learn something new every day.... :backinmyday:

I think I'm going to try the ballon over the mic trick before I throw $140 at it. I read on one of the threads here about putting a ballon over the mic and then the sock on the boom. I dont currently have any ballon around the house, but I do have some nirtle gloves in the garage that may serv the purpose.

Here is a little trick I learnt way back when I was a tank guy, before we got throat mics. Find you some 3/4" or 1" heatshrink tubing, cut it 1" in length, put it over the mic and apply easy heat. It will tighten down real tight. Trim the edges as needed. It will cut out the wind noise, but your voice will still carry perfectly into the mic.

Ex