IGNORED

Left lower faring crack

wannarsv

If you are under warranty, then yes, take it to the dealer and get it replaced. If not, then this is the best stuff I have found. Made my (almost) three piece (should be two!) trunk on my '86 VR solid as new again, and wasn't near as much trouble as it looks at first glance.

http://www.urethanesupply.com/PlastiFix/

Don't mess with glues, epoxy etc, I have tried most of it and it won't work, Plastifix is a real solution, and not that expensive.

Since your bike is a 2008 it is possible.

Mine cracked last year and it is an 2004 and it was due to flexing the crash bar.

Need pictures to see how bad it is cracked and where it is cracked.

Mine was 3" long and I just reinforced it with fiberglass on the inside. I put several layers and it has held just fine and only I would know it is there.

Let us know what happens and post a picture.

It is not really uncommon. I've seen many such reports over the years. My '99 cracked in the same place but I was way out of warranty. I have heard several reports where Yamaha replaced them under warranty and also reports of some dealers claiming that it wasn't covered. I certainly SHOULD be covered so fight for it if your bike is still under warranty.

had my lower left replaced under warrenty a few years back, when they order it remind them to order the rubber bumper pads tha go on the inside of the cowling where the inner shroud contacts the inside of teh cowling. When they did mine they did not have those and pulled the attach point loose on the inside, I think it was because the addition thickness of the bumber pad makes the screw get tight before anything breaks. I ended up repairing the busted attach point and adding some weather stripping as abumper. worked great. Did not want to go thru the hassel of having them replace it again, much easier to just fix it.

Thanks for all the responses. I took it to a dealer and they said it wasn't covered. It seems that the general opinion here is it should be covered, I think so to, but this dealer says no. But then again, when I tell them that the venture comes with a 5 year factory warranty they look at me like I'm nuts. So what is my next step?

Thanks again, Melvin

Find a dealer that knows their own product line.

Show them this right from the Yamaha web site.

2012 Royal Star Venture S

Key Features:

• This fully loaded luxury touring machine comes with everything serious riders need, including a four-speaker sound system with a Star-branded iPod touch,® a CB radio, intercom system, and AM/FM radio combined with a powerful and smooth V-four engine and front end chrome accents.
  • There’s plenty of lockable storage in the form of a 15-gallon trunk and a pair of color-matched 9.3-gallon sidebags; that’s 33.6 gallons total.
  • Ergonomically designed bucket-type seats with plush, wraparound passenger backrest for unbeatable long-range comfort.
  • Industry’s premier rider support package includes a five-year, unlimited mileage warranty and 24-hour roadside assistance program.

Today must be my day to be on Venture Riders. I had this very problem happen when I was In Cody WY. I thought it happened from the Russian HD riders that parked next to me @ the hotel. Later, I was told it was from flexing. It is covered under warranty. Contact the Yamaha office in GA. and they'll give you specifics.:322:

This problem is one reason I offer a crash bar brace for these bikes. Adding foot rests to the bars amplifies the flexing even more so.

But I do agree with the others here that if the lower is cracked and still under the 5 year period since purchased then its should be covered under warranty.

Larry

Thanks guys, I guess I'll take it to another dealer. It seems as though some folks at the dealer would rather be "right" rather than take care of the customer, or possibly even learn something. I was hoping to find something from out from Yamaha. (Thanks John I will check that out)

Well at least it is supposed to be nice again this afternoon, great day for a ride, even if it is to the dealer,

Thanks, Melvin

Edited by wannarsv
deleting/adding text

• 2 weeks later...

My left lower fairing cracked on my 08 RSTD. What is interesting is that when I took the fairing off it had already been repaired 1 time. I bought this bike new. Dealer replaced under warranty but was unable to explain the condition of the cracked fairing. It looked like the standoff had broken and been glued back on. There were what looked like ultrasonic welds across the cracked area on the inside. I have pictures I took and sent to the dealer. They had no explanation.

This problem is one reason I offer a crash bar brace for these bikes. Adding foot rests to the bars amplifies the flexing even more so.

But I do agree with the others here that if the lower is cracked and still under the 5 year period since purchased then its should be covered under warranty.

Larry

Of the things i have done to my bike I believe this is one of the best things I have done. No more flexing when you put your feet on the highway pegs plus if you drop the bike the crash bars don't bend and break the mounting bracket inside the lower fairing. Well worth the time and effort to install:thumbsup2: