IGNORED

Rebuilding and Modding my 83

Well, I fixed a few more of the leaks, the only ones I have now are the oil filter cover (the new filter didn't come with a new o-ring?!?) and the clutch cover (I reused the old one).

The motor cutting off issue I might have fixed by spraying some CRC 2-26 into the motor kill switch and flipping it on/off multiple times. I think leaving it out last year (but under a cover) may have tarnished the switch, I will see if that fixes it. So far so good.

The hot starting, it might be the starter. I tried the voltmeter trick Jeff suggested, and I got 0v on the positive side from the + battery post to the starter post, and I think I got 0v on the negative side from the starter case to the - battery post, but it backfired really loud next to my ear as I was cranking it over so I called it quits.

Here's a few more pics of it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also changed the program of the new TCI that I got to the old v-max venture setting, as I had the 3500-4000 rpm cut-out. Have only ridden it today since changing it so I don't know if that "fixed" it or not, got it up to 4 grand and held it for about a mile & 1/2 with no cutout.

I do need to hook up with Jeff since he has a carbtune and "experience" from Don's MD...

Oh, and for the record, I took a 440 mile drive on June 2nd, 180 miles at 70-75mph w/ a strong headwind, about 55 miles at a relaxed pace w/ a few stops along the Mississippi River, then about 200 miles at 60 & 70mph back home. Overall average was a tick under 40mpg (39.95). Not bad for not quite tuned up carbs, old spark plugs (forgot to change them out before I threw the plastic on), and an engine I had no history of that was frankensteined (1200cc heads on a 1300cc motor). It was also a pleasant day in the upper 60s lower 70s.

Things I did to the bike:

-Handlebars from my XJ650 Maxim that I bent to a different shape

-Solid Delrin motor mounts (bob myers made them)

-Delinked the brakes

-1200cc heads on a 1300cc motor

-New carb diaphragms

-New TCI (dingy's group buy)

-Phone holder (need to get a close-up pic of that)

-Swapped out tranny gears from the 1300cc motor just to put them back in since the 1200cc motor had toasted bearings

-Installed grease zirk fittings on the swingarm

-Kick stand mod (also dingy's)

-Painted up the motor in black & burnt copper engine paint

I'm sure I forgot stuff, but that's a pretty good list for now.

-Andrew

• 11 months later...

Well, it's been a while since I added to this thread. Last year I rode it a bunch and didn't really do much more to it. Early this spring, I snagged a parts bike that had a bunch of chrome on it, plus I got a set of floorboards from Orlin. I have been slowly adding the parts on, making my bike a "safety chrome" bike. I also got a 4-brush starter and a new AGM battery, so my starting issues are now gone. I have a few more mechanical issues to touch up, then I can start on the cosmetic issues, like all the cracking & missing tabs, plus get it a decent paint job. Ignore the dirt & duct tape in the pics.

-Andrew

Pics:

1. Blue parts bike

2. Chrome bumper

3. Rotor & caliper cover

4. Floorboard (need to reposition brake better)

5. Floorboard & shifter (need to relink, shift pattern is backwards)

6. Glamour shot (missing floorboards tho)

• 2 years later...

Well, it's been a few years since I posted anything here, so I guess I can add some more to it.

From the parts bike I put the '83 gauges in the '84 gauge pod (like the style of the '83 gauges better, plus it kept my mileage), which allowed me to hook up the gear indicator.

Handlebars03.jpg

I put in Progressive springs in the front forks, added the Dano starter clutch, and put in a blade fuse holder.

StarterClutch01.jpgFusebox03.jpg

I relocated my trunk back about 3 1/4" with some straps.

TrunkRelocate02.jpgTrunkRelocate05.jpg

I cut apart my collector to gut it and I also reworked the routing of the exit pipes for a future mod.

CollectorFix.jpgExhaustPipeFix.jpg

Stay tuned for the next post, it's a BIG ONE!

-Andrew

Now for the big addition. Drum roll.....

A sidecar!

02MogwaiLikesIt.jpg

Yeah, this model is intended for smaller bikes, but I'm not adding it like a normal sidecar so it won't see the same stresses. I blame the ADVriders site, they put ideas in my head. I wanted to keep on leaning on my bike, but also wanted to have more passenger space. Enter the leaner. The sidecar mounts to the bike with 2 Heim joints, so you can still lean the bike around corners. Upside is you don't need to make steering head adjustments, it rides more or less like a standard bike, and with the removal of a few bolts and unplug the wiring you're back to a solo bike. Downside is you don't have the training wheel for slippery/gravel/winter roads and you have to put your foot down at stops.

Started off with the layout and built up a subframe for under the bike.

04TestFit.jpg05TestFit.jpg06CAD_Modeling.jpg08SubFrame.jpg11SubFrame.jpg

Then started the sidecar frame mods.

12Layout.jpg13Layout.jpg14FrameAddition.jpg15FrameAddition.jpg

Put it all together.

18Together.jpg19TaillightsAndFender.jpg

Taking it out.

20OutAndAbout.jpg21OutAndAbout.jpg

Added a third support so while it's parked it stands straight up. It also allows me to roll it backwards w/o having to balance the bike, and I have used it to go off-road (slowly) and use it for support.

23ThirdMount.jpg

I made a temporary cover (didn't come with one) to keep the rain out. I also want to make a foldable windshield so I can have it down when there isn't a passenger, up when needed. I also need to paint it up and finish adding lights to it.

25CoverRev2.jpg26FrontMarkerLight.jpg

So far I've taken a few people for rides, and it's been on for almost 1k miles with no issues. I'm really enjoying it.

-Andrew

• 3 years later...

I'm glad to see that you've extended the sidecar chassis as to my mind these sidecars are WAY to light for a Venture. I know they are popular in the states, but here they came on the side of 350 Jawas - half the weight and a quarter of the power. With the standard wheel I've bent a stub axle on a Velorex 562 chassis with the extra power of putting one on a GS550. If you are always gentle with it, you may be okay, but if there is anything tougher on offer - or you can weld your own chassis - I'd recommend that option instead.