My 83 rotors are too large in diameter for the r6 upgrade. (Found 89 forks and r6 calipers) Any recommendations on rotors that fit the 83 wheel but have small enough diameter. Current rotors are 297x8.:confused24:

Yep, I did the mod to my '83. '86 forks w/progressives, 2gen rotors, and R1 calipers. The '83 rotors are thicker,cooled internally, and will not fit. The 2ndGen's are thinner, fit perfectly, and are an easy swap out on the '83 wheel.

Marty,

Unfortunately the only way your going to upgrade your 1200 Venture brakes is to swap out front forks from a 1300 '86 and up bike. The R1 calipers work well, and I have delinked mine on my '86 and like it even more. Condor is spot on with what he has done with his and thats pretty much what you need to pursue....:2cents:

Thank you for the tips. Will the 83 front master suffice or do I need to update that too?

I have found that the front master cylinder works reasonably well with it handling both front calipers. I can absolutely make it nose dive if I want it to....

:2cents:

I might be concerned about the 83-85 front master with upgraded calipers.

The 83-85's have a 12.7mm dia. master.

The 86-93's have a 14mm dia master which is what I have used successfully with the upgraded MKII quad piston calipers and also a set of R1 calipers.

The 12.7mm may not have enough volume for the bigger piston volumes.

Especially if you delink the brakes.

But that's just my opinion.

Gary

Edited by dingy
changed reference for 2nd gen to MKII

I have found that the front master cylinder works reasonably well with it handling both front calipers. I can absolutely make it nose dive if I want it to....

:2cents:

I never changed my master. The increase in braking power over stock was great... heck any increase would be great....so left it... as is.... Very happy with the results..

I might be concerned about the 83-85 front master with upgraded calipers.

The 83-85's have a 12.7mm dia. master.

The 86-93's have a 14mm dia master which is what I have used successfully with the upgraded 2nd gen quad piston calipers and also a set of R1 calipers.

The 12.7mm may not have enough volume for the bigger piston volumes.

Especially if you delink the brakes.

But that's just my opinion.

Gary

Woodfish,

I would probably take that statement to the bank, Gary has done LOTS of mods on his Venture so I would trust his judgement. If you find a set of front forks off a MKII 1300 Venture, see if you can get your hands on a master cylinder as well.

OK, just for clarity, Condor and Dingy referred to forks and master cyl from 86-93 and then mentioned 2nd gen rotors and quad calipers. Are you saying rotors and calipers from the 99 version bikes? or are we still talking 86-93 for all upgrade parts for my 83. I see this sites history section shows 298mm rotors for the 99 vintage which are the same diameter as the rotors on my 83. With that rotor dia, I am about a half hole away from the bolt holes on the r6(blue star) caliper and 89 forks from lining up, while the caliper is bottomed on the rotor. (No problem bolting to the fork w/o the rotor). So I hope you are referring to rotors off the 86-93s.

The statement I made referring to 2nd gen calipers was in error. I have not used them.

It should have read MKII front calipers, which are 4 piston units from the 86-93 bikes.

You will need 282mm rotors with the MKII calipers. Also need the lower fork tubes from an 86-93. The 86-87 units have a different mount position for the anti dive valves than the 88-93 forks. You should while you are in there put progressive springs on it and eliminate the anti dives. Skydoc17 sells a block off plate for the anti dives. Picture attached.

Gary

Thanks Gary. I think I have the right rotors coming. already have 89 forks and r6 calipers. You folks posts have been a real library of info the past few years. Successful projects have been a reseating of valves, replacement TCI, 2nd gear fix, and the starter trick. Now I hope this brake upgrade will be just the trick to avoid another one of those incidents where that bumper way up the road ends up almost eating my front tire cause there just wasn't enough brakes. (hard to steer with the rider weight pushing you into the windshield).