I'm in the middle of trying to remove my carburetors. Its kind of tough getting the carbs off of the bike. I've got the owners manual and it really isnt much help. i figure one your threads can help, maybe with picture. anyone with any insight would be much appreciated!

:fingers-crossed-emo

Remove left side fairing pieces as needed to make room.

Remove the air box and disconnect the breather hose from the bottom and remove the hose from the twinkie.

Disconnect the throttle cables at the black junction box.

Disconnect the choke cable at the carb.

Disconnect the fuel line and the over flow hoses from the tops of each carb.

Loosen .... no need to remove the four strap clamps on at the bottoms of the carbs where they seat into the intake boots.

Straddle the bike and lift the carb rack straight up from the boots. You may need to wiggle or pry them (gently) to loosen them up until they slide free.

Slide the carb rack assembly out through the left side of the frame.

I think that covers it.

Mike

Remove left side fairing pieces as needed to make room.

Remove the air box and disconnect the breather hose from the bottom and remove the hose from the twinkie.

Disconnect the throttle cables at the black junction box.

Disconnect the choke cable at the carb.

Disconnect the fuel line and the over flow hoses from the tops of each carb.

Loosen .... no need to remove the four strap clamps on at the bottoms of the carbs where they seat into the intake boots.

Straddle the bike and lift the carb rack straight up from the boots. You may need to wiggle or pry them (gently) to loosen them up until they slide free.

Slide the carb rack assembly out through the left side of the frame.

I think that covers it.

Mike

Nice goin' there Snag, now I feel like a slacker for my response.

:sign02:

Gary

I guess my next question would be how to clean the carbs. the guy i bought it from told me the high flow jets are plugged cuz if you give it any throttle at all it kills it immediately. The top of the carbs are all gummed up too so i think i need to make a fairly thorough cleaning of em.

I just went through a set that I am installing on my '86. It's not for the faint of heart, there is a lot going on as all 4 carbs have to be separated to get at the floats. I'll let you in on a secret, I have probably about $350+ in rebuild kits, air cutoff valves and such. If your going to do, I would suggest you take your time and go through them right.

I posted a thread about setting the floats a few weeks back, Dingy and MiCarl were gracious enough to help me along with it as well as a couple others. Take your time, dont be in a hurry, and have a clean light colored rag ot shirt to lay it all out on. Take 1 carb apart at a time. Take pics of every angle before you start your disassembly, we can help you along if you get stuck.

I guess my next question would be how to clean the carbs. the guy i bought it from told me the high flow jets are plugged cuz if you give it any throttle at all it kills it immediately. The top of the carbs are all gummed up too so i think i need to make a fairly thorough cleaning of em.

PM me an email address and I will send you a Zip file containing about 30 or so pictures of my 83 carbs being torn down.

To big to post on here.

Zip file is about 7 meg.

Gary

You also NEED to get a basic carb rebuild kit, 4 of them one for each carb. Get a hold of MiCarl, I think he is selling these, or Squidly and see what he used.

Almost always the jet block gasket gets mangled when removing jet block. This has to come off to get access to pilot jet in it.

Pictures are on the way, I have many others of carb rack completely assembled if you need them for reference.

Gary

Would a VMax carb rebuild kit work?

The basic kit will work, you need to clip a tad off of the float seal spring, I attached a picture of what that takes. Venture valve is on bottom.

VMax jets are defiantly different though.

Gary

Yea Gary!! Ya hear that. ONE AT A TIME!!! :rotf::rotf:

But ya do take nice pictures. :clap2:

That's way over rated, there are parts from several racks that went into final assembly. VMax #2 body and ckoke linkages. Modified throttle cable mounting plates to clear frame due to VBoost. Belt sanded bottom of carb throat about 1/16" to help clear frame, etc...

That's why I take so many pictures.

Charlie, ignore pictures attached, these are from modified carbs.

Gary

Edited by dingy