IGNORED

Opinions on Motor Clubs

1BigDog

Im considering going with a motor club, one that will also cover the bike. Right now im leaning on going with the GWRRA because their roadside assistance also covers cars as well. What im looking for is opinions from members here who use any of the different motor clubs that are out there, your experiences with them, pros and cons, etc. Im realizing that as I get older im having a much harder time doing some of the basic stuff like changing a flat tire, especially since I ant kneel anymore. So, tell me your thoughts on the clubs.....

I don't know how much it costs now but it used to be $55 a year for GW associate membership. You have to own a goldwing to get full membership but the only difference is the extra cost of about $10 a year

Actually, that pretty inexpensive for road coverage - I belonged to gwrra off and on for over 30 years and never used the road service once. they do have a nice monthly magazine with PLENTY of advertising tho -

Im considering going with a motor club, one that will also cover the bike. Right now im leaning on going with the GWRRA because their roadside assistance also covers cars as well. What im looking for is opinions from members here who use any of the different motor clubs that are out there, your experiences with them, pros and cons, etc. Im realizing that as I get older im having a much harder time doing some of the basic stuff like changing a flat tire, especially since I ant kneel anymore. So, tell me your thoughts on the clubs.....

I am a member of GWRRA and I only stay a member because of their Rescue Plus Towing package. I have used them many times and they are great. Ask Aussie Annie, I used it to tow her Harley when it broke down on the way to Vogel when Harley wouldn't come and get it. . I have the PLUS package which covers my whole family. They will tow your vehicle up to 100 miles to your choice of were you want it. My daughter has used it several times for lockout service, flat tires and jump starts when she is away at college. They will also let you use it to make 11 service calls a year. There is no way you can get a better deal.

ps forgot to mention they get there pretty quick considering everything plus the 3 times I have had the bike towed they were really carefull and considerate of our bikes. They usually arrive within the hour after you call.

Well, there all good at taking our money, but I have AAA gold, which is there premium one that covers all of the motor vehicles, including motorcycles. I haven't used it yet for my bike, but the cost is $82 annually.

I've used it for all kinds of things including towing, locked out, out of gas, dead battery, and if I'm lucky, I won't need it for my bike, but if I do, I've got it.

I don't know the details of the motorcycle coverage without looking it up. But I think it covers running out of gas, taking the bike to the nearest dealer, or place of your choice if you have a roadside problem. I think 100 miles.

Steve

I belong to CAA ( same as AAA) and have the RV premiere package, I think its 110year. (cant find the bill) but I get that rather than the RV plus as they will take you to a shop in a 100 mile circle not a 50 mile circle in the event of a breakdown. Around here that is the differenc between a good shop and a bad one, or maybe not even being any MC shop in the 50 mile circle.

It includes both the car and bike, plus any vehicle I might be riding in.

Brian

Edited by friesman

?...does the annual fee, ex: $100 year, pay for the towing, tire changes, etc?

Yes, mine pays for towing up to 100mile radius, 4 battery jumps a year, a couple of tire changes and includes a card that gives me discounts at hotels and restaurants and businesses.

Brian

I belong to CAA ( same as AAA) and have the RV premiere package, I think its 110year. (cant find the bill) but I get that rather than the RV plus as they will take you to a shop in a 100 mile circle not a 50 mile circle in the event of a breakdown. Around here that is the difference between a good shop and a bad one, or maybe not even being any MC shop in the 50 mile circle.

It includes both the car and bike, plus any vehicle I might be riding in.

Brian

I also have CAA membership. They are everywhere in Canada, and membership translates to AAA in the USA. I have had them out to haul motorcycles 3 times in the last 6 years: #1) went down on diesel on my Maxim X, #2) ST1100 refused to start (wiring issue) #3 in Washington State on ST1100, hit a pot-hole hard and schmucked the rear wheel.

There was usually a slightly longer than normal wail for a flatbed to load the bike, but otherwise, service has always been awesome. On two occasions, I was well over the 50 mile mark.

As Brian says, the car is also covered, and I rely on them for free maps and travel guides. Been a member for 32 years! Money well spent.

Roadside service for bike or car is included in your AMA membership for 39/year if you allow them to autorenew you.This is the most effective political lobbying organization for riders around and als does ATV lobbying.Good magazine,discounts and other good stuff.Every rider should join just for the political clout.

last march when i bought my new bike i received a letter/card from Star Service stating i was getting a yrs free membership to their motor club which after reading it it looked really useful, tho i never needed it luckly, has anyone used this service ,is it worth having as comparied to AAA my yr expired soon may be interested in renewing it steve :Venture:

I am a member of GWRRA and I only stay a member because of their Rescue Plus Towing package. I have used them many times and they are great. Ask Aussie Annie, I used it to tow her Harley when it broke down on the way to Vogel when Harley wouldn't come and get it. . I have the PLUS package which covers my whole family. They will tow your vehicle up to 100 miles to your choice of were you want it. My daughter has used it several times for lockout service, flat tires and jump starts when she is away at college. They will also let you use it to make 11 service calls a year. There is no way you can get a better deal.

ps forgot to mention they get there pretty quick considering everything plus the 3 times I have had the bike towed they were really carefull and considerate of our bikes. They usually arrive within the hour after you call.

I was a member of GWRRA for a year and though I never used the rescue plus plan the membership cost was worth it just for the free Advanced Rider course. I let it lapse last year but since you mention how good the rescue plan actually worked for you ill go ahead and renew again with GWRRA.

AAA was over 200 a year for what I was looking for.

Thanks for the replies....:smile5:

I have CAA and once used it in the U.S. when I had an electrical problem with my Triumph (No..really...an electrical problem with a Triumph...who ever heard of such a thing?). I also have a friend who has CAA and tried to use it when his bike broke down near home. After waiting over an hour, he called back and was told that they had no flatbed trucks available in that area so he was out of luck! First time I heard of that happening but it seems it can and does happen.

Andy

Yeah that for GWRRA :clap2: Would have been a gonna without the towing service help from Rick. I think it's a great thing if you travel. [thanks again Rick]