Susan found this for me today on ebay, and I figured I better run it by you fellers before buying it. There is precious little info like dimensions, etc. but the price is right, and it is stainless, so no issue with cheap chrome. I'd rather have the Yamaha part, but they are pretty $$$pendy...

I DO know the dimensions, by the way, and it looks like it should fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260936394379?item=260936394379&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr#ht_4044wt_1185

Thanks for your time.

Bert

Looks like a nice piece for the price. Just make sure you follow the old saying when you mount it: "Measure twice, cut (drill) once" And put masking tape down first before you drill.

I'd be careful with that rack. If you look at the posts it looks like there is nothing between them to spread out the weight. Look at the Yamaha one... you'll see chrome strips running between the posts.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/accessories/acscitemdetail/5/4/83/404/all/all/131/0/detail.aspx

From the one you posted, all the weight is around the posts and could actually punch thru the lid of the trunk if you put too much weight on it. As it is, I think the maximum weight for the Yamaha one is 20lbs.

I'd be careful with that rack. If you look at the posts it looks like there is nothing between them to spread out the weight.

I agree with XV1100SE . The Yamaha Rack has a strap of metal both inside and out to distribute the weight evenly.

The price of the rack you posted is a bargain but I wouldn't mount it without some reinforcement?

for the price there is something not right. It either is really small, made of plastic or something else because there is no way you can buy a quality rack for $45 but take the chance and see I guess we all have wasted $45 on other things and didn't get anything from it. You can send it back if you want. My concern is it comes from asia and with the customs charges and everything I don't see how that can be done for the price.

for the price there is something not right. It either is really small, made of plastic or something else because there is no way you can buy a quality rack for $45 but take the chance and see I guess we all have wasted $45 on other things and didn't get anything from it. You can send it back if you want. My concern is it comes from asia and with the customs charges and everything I don't see how that can be done for the price.

You forgot... Free Shipping.... All for $45 bucks. :whistling: And it was made in Asia.. somewhere??, but shiped from Illinios??

I don't know guys. If I were in the market for a rack, I might take a chance on it for the money. Stainless Steel is a plus and the seller does have 100% positive feedback. I think there is a risk but maybe one that I'd be willing to take. The thing that is strange is that it appears that he WAS selling what appears to be the same rack for $109.00. Maybe he just ended up buying too many and is just trying to recoup some of his investment. I don't know....

I'd be careful with that rack. If you look at the posts it looks like there is nothing between them to spread out the weight.

I agree with XV1100SE . The Yamaha Rack has a strap of metal both inside and out to distribute the weight evenly.

The price of the rack you posted is a bargain but I wouldn't mount it without some reinforcement?

I agree also about the mounting method but a simple fix would be to go to Lowes,Tractor Supply, Home Depot and pick up a piece of aluminum strap say maybe 1/8 x 1'' cut two pieces round the ends drill matching holes with rack and polish. They will conform to your trunk lid and help distribute the weight. :2cents::080402gudl_prv:

You can make a template out of a piece of poster board or thin cardboard like a show box. Accuracy will be key and holes in plates should be exactly the same size as your bolts maybe just a hair bigger so that the rack rests on the plates. Spend enough time polishing and I bet they will never be noticed unless you point it out. :080402gudl_prv: