IGNORED

Valve Adjustment Weekend in Ellijay, Ga.

Wondering if I might have a couple of guys that might want to tackle a valve adjustment on the iron horse before we get into spring? I do not have any experence at it but with the write up from VGoose it looks to be fairly easy just time consuming.

We could do it in my garage or at someone else's. I do not have a carbon one lift adapter but I do have a craftsman jack. Should have all the tools needed accept for the shim kit and special tool.

Also would need a carbtune for after we adjust the valves.

If we get some intrest maybe we could round one up from another member or I could just buy one.

Let me know what you think out there.

I know I have a grill that cooks some mean steaks, and the garage refrig has cold beer.

Brian Shoemaker

706-635-1580

I've got all the stuff. Don't need to put the bike on a lift (or adapter) to do the valve shims.

probably should have a pair of new gaskets though.

I should have my kit back in a couple weeks, am sending it out in the morning to a member who asked to borrow it.

Cowboy, I have the Carbon One adapter, but as Randy said, it may not be needed. Please post when you have a date nailed down, and I'll see about joining you guys to get a little learnin' in and maybe have one of the more experienced guys do a carb tune for me as well. I'm pretty sure my '99 needs one.

Looks like the day and time will be determined by the availability of the Valve Shim Kit.

Randy has one but he just sent it out on loan, should have back in a couple of weeks.

Skydoc has one but he just sent it out also. I will be in touch with both and see what we can do.

Now let me know schedules for I work out of the house and can do this any day as long as we have the valve shim kit.

For anyone who wants to join us in the valve adjustment for the 2nd Gen. make sure to get a valve cover gasket set.

Note also we can do oil changes / fuel filter / plugs / rear end fluid.

What ever time lets make it soon! Spring is almost here since we have not really had a winter here in GA.

there is a Georgia MD planned at Steve Wagner's for March 31st

Something like a shim job is beyond what is done a normal MD because of the length of time it takes.

also. We should do a group buy on gaskets. should be able to get a better price and save on shipping costs that way.

Edited by RandyR

Bike runs fine but last valve check was at 34,000. I've been told that these bikes normally do not get loose but rather get too tight. It is a good excuse to change the leaking rear kickstand side valve cover gasket. I will keep you updated.

there is a Georgia MD planned at Steve Wagner's for March 31st

Something like a shim job is beyond what is done a normal MD because of the length of time it takes.

also. We should do a group buy on gaskets. should be able to get a better price and save on shipping costs that way.

Thanks for the update Randy. I can wait for the MD on 3/31 to get a few things done, including a carb tune. Sounds like the valve job will be an all day event anyway. Where is Steve located in GA?

Thanks for the update Randy. I can wait for the MD on 3/31 to get a few things done, including a carb tune. Sounds like the valve job will be an all day event anyway. Where is Steve located in GA?

SteveW is just south of Cleveland, GA.

Wondering if I might have a couple of guys that might want to tackle a valve adjustment on the iron horse before we get into spring? I do not have any experence at it but with the write up from VGoose it looks to be fairly easy just time consuming.

We could do it in my garage or at someone else's. I do not have a carbon one lift adapter but I do have a craftsman jack. Should have all the tools needed accept for the shim kit and special tool.

Also would need a carbtune for after we adjust the valves.

If we get some intrest maybe we could round one up from another member or I could just buy one.

Let me know what you think out there.

I know I have a grill that cooks some mean steaks, and the garage refrig has cold beer.

Brian Shoemaker

706-635-1580

I would be real interested in learning how to do the valve job myself. I have read everything I can about it and its time to do it. Would really feel better having someone who has done it to teach the procedure. I have a carbtune and have done my carbs. Could bring that along also. I would like to learn the vlave procedures so as I could teach other members who are around the Jacksonville Fl area. There are several things that I want to learn to do and pass it along. Clutch replacement, rear wheel removal , final drive service, greasing the driveshaft. I have removed the faring so I could help someone with that procedure and we could service the connectors that seems to be a on going problem. I have written about 15 maintenance and comments and posted them on our club site. See DanC for postings. Want to learn!! When are you going to be doing this procedure. Dan:cool10:

I've got all the stuff. Don't need to put the bike on a lift (or adapter) to do the valve shims.

probably should have a pair of new gaskets though.

I should have my kit back in a couple weeks, am sending it out in the morning to a member who asked to borrow it.

Randy I talked to Cowboy and he said he lives near you and that you and him might get together reference during valve job. I see you have a kit and I was wondering if you had performed this operation already? Wanting to learn how to do it. DanC :cool10:

Randy helped in doing mine last year, and is a wealth of experience and support. I to had read everything I could regarding this procedure and even though I was ready having Randy's know how there was a blessing.

Don't forget the excel spreadsheet http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43410

I currently live 60 miles away in Cleveland, TN and don't need much of an excuse to visit. Love to see Randy again, drink some of your refreshments, eat some of your food, and generally, just get in the way!!!

Powersports plus $18.20 on your gasket. Also cant do valve check/adj if you ride it some before you do it. Has to be stone cold if I remember correctly. I have an FJ motor in a legends race car I have sync the carbs on. I dont have the fancy 4 place mercury or whatever carb tune. I bought a couple of vacum gauges and do 2 carbs at a time. Man thats been a few years back and I dont even remember how now brown cow. Not as precise I supose.

hey, if possible i might come over and hang out with ya'll if work don't get in the way. sooner or later i'm swapping motor around in a couple of bike.one motor has 73k on it and i'm putting venture intake cams from a venture to a 01 royal star. have done lots of valve jobs on cars and a few bikes but not this type of setup. susan's been wanting to eat at the meriatta grill but i want to go to fire of brazil and eat "some meat"!!LOL!!

:fingers-crossed-emo