IGNORED

Wider & Taller Clearview Shield Impact on MPG ?

GolfVenture

Was wondering if anyone has experienced a drop in MPG after installing the widest and tallest Clearview shield on long distance, Interstate riding? If so can you provide some stats.

Especially interested in stats for MKII.

Almost by definition, increasing the frontal area of a vehicle will mean more power is needed to push more air out of the way.

Even anecdotally it's not likely to be much though. The real question is whether or not the few extra cents per mile (if that) is worth it to you for the additional protection of the larger screen?

You can compensate by slowing down a bit.

Someone in this group somewhere I recall said it was hugh. So I was just courious if others may have experienced a significant drop in mpg.

It could be, but there are so many variables.

I remember reading a report from years ago that related to cars. It suggested that at 50mph, then 50% of the gas being burned was simply overcoming wind resistance. The faster you go, the worse this becomes. Not only do you burn more gas pushing the weight down the road, but the wind resistance increases exponentially.

Hence the very poor gas mileage for those regularly riding in excess of 80mph.

But .... You can't really compare figures unless you can repeat the conditions exactly, and you can compensate some for the extra frontal area.

And, in the end, gas is one of the smaller costs involved in running the bike so you also have to put it in perspective.

For example ... If you normally get 40mpg average, then a 10% reduction at $3 per gallon would only cost $8 per 1000 miles.

That is what the comfort would be costing you :)

just sayin'

We have Clearview's biggest windshield on our 06 RSV. I would say that it reduces the gas mileage at speed. We typically get 30-32 mpg at 80mph riding two up. I believe we were closer to 35mpg before changing the windshield. YMMV

I have the biggest clearveiw on my 06, ride 2-up 90% of the time, I really havent noticed much of a change at all. I usually ride 5-10 mph over the speed limit and get 42-45 mpg as measured using a stock speedo. Think it would depend alot on your riding conditions, we dont have alot of mountain type riding, dont have alot of high wind, and dont have alot of roads where we can cruise at 80 all day. At 70 mph, 2-up on the Pa turnpike I can get 45mpg easily, I do it every year on the way to Dons MD.

:080402gudl_prv: Craig