IGNORED

I may have ruined my 86

tufftom4

I was loading my 86VR on the motorcycle trailer and did not notice the front of it was to low to the ground which made a hump where the ramp meets the trailer and when I was riding the bike up the bottom of the oil filter housing on the engine caught it and took a chunk out of it. I will have to wait till I have a day off to drain the oil again and see how bad it is. I hope I did not ruin the block.

Tom

Tom, you will not need to drain the oil to check the oil filter, I don't think. I hope you did not break the flange that sticks down that the oil filter mates up to, but even if you did, I think there is a remote oil filter setup that will still work on the engine, but I am not positive. I also have a spare oil filter housing if you need it.

Good luck.

RandyA

These engines are pretty durable and chances are you did minimal damage to the engine even with little oil in it. As long as you weren't really revving it up and shut it down after a reasonable time period just fix what needs fixing and put more oil in it and it will probably survive. Even though there was minimal oil in it there still was a thin coating on all the moving parts. Worst case senerio you put equivalent of maybe another 10 to 20K miles on it...

Now the broken ears may be a different story.

OK I took the oil filter housing off and stripped the bolt but the chunk I took out of the bottom of the engine wasn't deep enough to cause the oil leak, the housing was just jared cockeyed I put a new o-ring in and it is fine so now it is just a matter of getting it road worthy. That is a big relief for me.

OK I took the oil filter housing off and stripped the bolt but the chunk I took out of the bottom of the engine wasn't deep enough to cause the oil leak, the housing was just jared cockeyed I put a new o-ring in and it is fine so now it is just a matter of getting it road worthy. That is a big relief for me.

All Right! :clap2:

Lets hear more about this spin on adapter kit please?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Filter-Adapter-plate-83-93-Yamaha-Venture-/250852278527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a67f600ff never sure of links so item nuber 250852278527 on ebay.

thats the one I have on my 91 vr. So far it works well with no leaks. It did seem to take a little less oil to fill to half way up the site glass though. Guess the l25288 purlator filter is a little smaller than the original filter housing.

David