IGNORED

My Father-in-law was almost killed yesterday

Gary N.

He is one lucky fellow. A piece of leaf spring off of a truck went through his windshield and missed his left ear before going out the back window of his van. We talked to him on the phone last night and tonight and he seems fine.

Here's the news paper article and picture.

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Windsor+almost+decapitated+steel+spring+Like+Bomb/6005134/story.html

That would make a man wonder if Someone is knocking on his door,,,, sure makes you think of how short our time can be,,,,, one minute we're ok and just fine thank you very much, and the next we're in a different land altogether. Best be prepared for the last trip at all times.

Hey, I am glad he's ok and looking forward to some more living here on earth.

Glad he's OK, and yes, the last line added a bit of fun to the story.

I have two friends that were as lucky.

#1, driving along the interstate in Texas, an I-beam, LARGE, fell off a truck and took the entire front suspension off a friends Taurus SHO, also ripped the bottom off the engine and tranny. They wound up in a ditch, but didn't flip. Very lucky

#2, Different friend, also driving a Taurus SHO (these were both stories of friends driving these cars back from two different conventions I put on a few years ago), and a steel post about 5 or 6 feet long, about 3" around fell off a truck and as he ran by it, it bounded up and speared his passenger side rocker panel. He felt the car lift up, heard a loud noise, the car came back down and he was dragging the part. Stopped, the post had speared the rocker, come all the way through and tore up the outside of the passenger seat, probably would have killed anyone sitting there, but there wasn't anyone in the seat. The post then turned and dragged. He managed to get the post out, it left a hole about 8" long and 4" wide, but to look at the car from the outside from above, you could not tell anything happened. He had just liability, and the at fault party was long gone, so he taped up the hole with duct tape, fixed up the seat and kept driving it just like that for years.

When driving or riding, I look for trucks loaded wrong with loose loads and stuff about to fall, and get far away. I also don't follow other vehicles very close so I have time to dodge if they go over something I don't see. This problem is getting worse with trucks coming in from Mexico without any real laws over their safety.

He is one lucky fellow. A piece of leaf spring off of a truck went through his windshield and missed his left ear before going out the back window of his van. We talked to him on the phone last night and tonight and he seems fine.

Here's the news paper article and picture.

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Windsor+almost+decapitated+steel+spring+Like+Bomb/6005134/story.html

glad to hear he is ok. i know there are several on this forum that are insurance agents.... they might clarify this if i am incorrect. his claim should be against his comprehensive and NOT his collision (which generally carries penalties by way of raised rates). my agent told me that an object 'flying/falling' that damages your vehicle is unavoidable (just like a deer jumping in front of you) therefore it should go against comprehensive...i would be sure to have him check this out ........... best of luck.

A guy was killed a few years ago near Hamilton when the shoe pad came off the front lifting frame on a truck traveling the other direction.

It bounced over the barrier and came thru his windshield and hit him in the head.

That was on the QEW. (4 -6 lanes, with concrete center barrier)

I would guess those pads have to be about 20 lbs each

Glad you Father in Law is OK....scary stuff!

your Dad was very lucky. Speacially considering were it entered the windshield.

You would be supprised how many trucks and traillers I inspect that are missing sections of spring just like this. Usually it is found on medium duty trucks used by small delivery outfits or traillers used by small private fleets. Also some transport company's get together and form what they call a trailer pool. These trailers see alot of neglect because no one wants to take responsibility for the repairs required or just cheap out as much as possible. It is amazing that there are not more story's like your father in law's or even worse because of it, and thankfully so.

What used to really iritate me was when I worked for big fleets, some techs during inspection would find a hairline crack in these springs usually just behind one of the u-bolts and because they did not want to be the one to have to fix it, they would rub dirty grease into it to hide it. the theory being leave it for the next guy to find so he could fix it.