IGNORED

VR91 Project trailer

Mike Mercury

I am looking for ideas, suggestions or any help in designing my trailer, with conversion wheels kit as base to start with.

I picked up this conversion kit while purchasing my 91 VR, with matching colors and mags it looks good.

Short cargo box for cars could be a solution, but some are to skimpy for long haul vibrations, is there box manufacturers for my applications.

Thanks

Mike:lightbulb:

Look at places that sell chain boxes and tool boxes for the back of Semi Tractors, they have a variety of aluminum boxes, one may fit your needs. You could modify a 250 gallon fuel oil tank that was used for home heating, the kind they make pig roasters with but they weigh about 100 #

To give an idea of size, between wheels 36 inch. approx. 55 inch. long and 24 inch more or less in hight.

I would like to find a fiberglass, or other box, like the manufactured trailer, not to big not to heavy.

The general picture is I would like a nice trailer kit to match my bike, up to now low cost, with good advice would like to keep cost low.

Mike:fingers-crossed-emo

You seem to me to be a fairly hands on guy. If I was going to convert that into a trailer I would custom make a box, more than likely out of aluminum diamond plate. It could be made to your dimensions and would look good. I have made several trailers and my 1st one was a diamond plate truck box that pulled great and looked just as good....

:2cents:

That set of wheels looks a lot like a Voyager Trike Kit. These things are pretty pricey, and if it does fit a 1stGen MKII I'd look into selling it and buying a new trailer with the proceeds. Trying to make this thing into a trailer by just adding a box is half the battle. You'll also need to construct a tongue and hitch... IMHO

I am looking for ideas, suggestions or any help in designing my trailer, with conversion wheels kit as base to start with.

I picked up this conversion kit while purchasing my 91 VR, with matching colors and mags it looks good.

Short cargo box for cars could be a solution, but some are to skimpy for long haul vibrations, is there box manufacturers for my applications.

Thanks

Mike:lightbulb:

Thats a real good start to a trailer. I like the idea of a diamond plate alluminum box. Rugged and not overly to heavy.

:322:I agree, an aluminium diamond plate box looks good, and could definitively be an option, but weight may be a concern, because trike kit only, weigh about 175 LBS plus box, could be a little heavy but, the low profile would keep center of gravity near the road.

As for selling the kit, it could be a good idea because these things are sold for about 4000$ new, but this kit could be fun to own down the road so, unless having an offer that could not be refused, would like to transform as a modular trailer- trike kit if needed later, my bike has already a hitch and ball set-up, so tongue would have to be designed with actual kit parts.

• 1 month later...