IGNORED

Fork Real-Warranty?

uechi kid

I took my 08 RSV to the dealer to have a major service done :mo money:. The service mgr call to tell me that one of the fork seals is leaking. I inquired about whether it's a warranty issue and he told me he didn't thinks so that the factor considers this normal wear, like brake pads. Oh yeah, I have just under 30k miles.

Has any one else dealt with this will still in warranty?

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

I find it very intersting that they would or could find a fork seal leak unless there was fluid running down the fork leg into the caliper. Plus, the seals and upper forks are under a chrome cover so how could any contamination get into the seal to make it leak? Therefore, I would suggest that this problem is the result of defective materials and workmanship and should be covered by the warrenty. I've got over 140k on my 02 and I've never had to replace a fork seal, so with only 30k I think you have a case.

And if your dealer doesn't want to pursue it after you have given him the above evidence, have him call customer services for you and make your case to them. And don't take "No" for an answer until customer services says "No".

Good luck,

Rick

76,000 plus miles on my old Venture and never had an issue with the seals.

Not saying one could not go bad..but find it unlikely..on your type of bike..

I would tell them to leave it as is, and get a "second opinion" from someone on the site here or another Yamaha dealer..

If you take it to another dealer, the first dealer MAY place a NOTE in thier computer system under your vin number stating they told you the seal was leaking..

When the second dealer pulls this up the screen and sees the note, they may also just tell you it is leaking...be cautious... just ask them to come out side and look at it and tell you if it is leaking.. this way they dont get the vin number and they dont read the possible note in the system... !!

If this dealer says you have a bad fork seal, but you can't see the leaking seal, how will you know if they have repaired/replaced it? With jack under the front of the engine, remove the fork tube caps, and measure the fork oil in both fork tubes. If the level is about the same from tube to tube, then the dealer is trying to lighten your wallet. I would want the dealer to explain how they determined the seal was bad. What was the replacement cost of the new seal? $300.00? I would ask for a written estimate of the repair cost, and then pull the fork caps. :confused24: (did I mention, I hate getting ripped off!)

Earl

Thanks for the advice. This isn't the first bike I've owned. I had an 85 Honda Shadow 1100 that had a fork seal start to leak but it was obvious why, the seals were cracking because of age.

The dealer did say he would call Yamaha to try to get them to fix it under warranty. If it realy is leaking and Yamaha doesn't warranty it, I'll either do it myself (not sure what's involved) or take it to a non-Yamaha dealer closer to home that I trust.

• 2 weeks later...