IGNORED

40 miles on reserve no has light

muaymendez1

So when is the gas light supposed to go on.This is the longest ive ridden on reserve.Was I safe for a few more miles? Gas was so expensive today that I didnt top off so I dont know how many gallons I used.

The weekend was great weather and I refused ti full up any of my vehicles with a30 cent hike per gallon.

When I have to go on reserve and go straight to the gas station I've got nearly two gallons left in the tank. I have ridden sixty miles after going on reserve but that's as far as I would want to push it. Dennis

Living in a one income family with 4 children, I have sacrificed alot to get my bike.My cash for riding is limited so every dollar counts. The bike,2 cars, snow blower, leaf blower ,etc my save 1.50 goes back into the jar for next weeks ride.If I exhaust my funds for riding I sit home ans watch tv. For the remainder of the month

I have found on my bike the yellow fuel light is not consistant. At lower speeds (50mph) it will come on and I can travel another 7-10 miles before the fuel gage changes to fuel reserve meter and the bike sputters before switching the fuel cock. While at 70mph on the interstate all three happen at the same time - Yellow light - fuel reserve meter - sputter, immediate need to switch the fuel cock. I use the odometer to best judge my fuel needs. By the time the yellow light comes on I'm already looking for gas. I agree the $1.50 difference per tank on the motorcycle isn't worth the risk of running out.

I have the same bike as you and get no less than 42 mpg. I have drained my tank within 3 miles after going on reserve and there was over a gallon left in the tank. The fuel light hasn't worked since I bought the bike, (sending unit is bad) so I depend on my mileage to let me know how far reserve will let me go. I can safely go 55 miles after I switch to reserve. After that I'm running on borrowed time. I have been able to get as much as 52mpg, but I'll never try to use that as my reserve calculation. I always fill up @ 150 miles and a fill up will put 3.4 gal in the tank. This method has never let me down.

:thumbsup2:

Based on my experiences and reading on here, I put together a chart and posted it (was really bored at work that day).

40 miles after the main tank runs out completely is very good and don't think you could have gone much further.

I'm not sure though.... does the feed tube that runs to the reserve tank continue to feed the reserve from the main tank or is that and the petcock located in the same area? (1st Gen and 2nd Gen) If you switch to reserve will it get the last of the fuel that remains in the main tank after it stops feeding fuel to the carbs?

link to my fuel calculations - http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61967

Did you check under the tank to see if the sending unit is plugged in? The connection is under the seat. It only has 2 wires (green and white). Mine was pinched and the light was on all the time when I got the bike. I repared the wires but it had fried the sending unit.:think:

So I'm in conclusion.Stopping for a gallon of petrol was a good idea.I gather from the post that the fuel light should come on before our just as I need to switch to reserve.My light didnt come on.

At least I learned that I can easily go 40 on reserve.

When I first got the bike I had my touring buddies stop at 120 while they still had plenty of fuel. Now I hang with them till 160 before planning for fuel.