IGNORED

How To ?

ragtop69gs

Is it possible to effectively repair a sintered metal part ?

I'm surprised somebody else knew what a sintered metal part was.

I work in a factory that presses and sinters steel parts for automotive and lawn and garden stuff, and some HD parts.

As for repair, it depends on the alloy. Some of the alloys can be welded. Some, due to the composition, don't weld well.

Is it sintered steel, or aluminum, or what? Got a picture?

Another thing to consider. Where will it fall to if the repaired part fails? On the highway it could come apart and strike the rider, passenger, etc. Get a new one. Check out Pinwall cycle on ebay as well.

In my opinion, the answer is no. You might make a sleeve or something and get it to work but it won't look very good.

Can't sleeve it because it cracked the eye at the base where the pinch bolt goes through.

I'm surprised somebody else knew what a sintered metal part was.

I work in a factory that presses and sinters steel parts for automotive and lawn and garden stuff, and some HD parts.

As for repair, it depends on the alloy. Some of the alloys can be welded. Some, due to the composition, don't weld well.

Is it sintered steel, or aluminum, or what? Got a picture?

Must be Aluminium or my magnet is broken.

Another thing to consider. Where will it fall to if the repaired part fails? On the highway it could come apart and strike the rider, passenger, etc. Get a new one. Check out Pinwall cycle on ebay as well.

This here is the best argument for not repairing it. With her luck it would fall off and she'd hit it with the back tire. I'm just gonna tell her it's toast, get a new one.

Frankly, I know someone who can probably weld it. By the time you pay him and the gas to come down here and back you'll be almost into a new one anyhow. Only reason to do that is speed.

Not exactly prime riding season. The online parts discounters should get one to you in about a week.

$55.00 is a healthy "bought" lesson to be more careful/observant next time, HUH?

My Thought would be braze it, but who uses brass anymore? wouldn't be pretty unless buffed and polished, but wouldn't match the other one.

That of course would not work if it IS aluminium.

$55.00 is a healthy "bought" lesson to be more careful/observant next time, HUH?

My Thought would be braze it, but who uses brass anymore? wouldn't be pretty unless buffed and polished, but wouldn't match the other one.

That of course would not work if it IS aluminium.

My first words to her when she told me were " How can you ride a bike if you can't see the obvious? " She's parked her bike there a hundred times but was in a rush this time :doh: I bet it doesn't happen again. $55 spent unnecessarily is a good teacher.

I found these thru an email alert, doesn't look like they'll work for ya, but there's 1000's of mirrors for $20 + for the pair

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Universal-Motorcycle-Mirrors-Mirror-Set-10mm-/190625871297?_trksid=p4340.m503&_trkparms=algo%3DRIC.CFNP%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D380384226421%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5515930553673176603

and of course stock used good luck in your search