IGNORED

83 Venture lives...sort of

Got the bike running today...thanks dingy :). It has a couple of issues, though. It leaks more oil than the Exxon Valdez, it's got a water leak that I think is a bad hose, and 1 carb slide is a little sticky.

But it's firing on all 4

If you buy gaskets get 2nd Gen gaskets. They are same and a lot easier to put on.

Clarifying what Dan said.

The RSV gaskets will fit the 1st gens. The reason they are easier to install is they have tabs, or maybe a lip that sticks out beyond sealing surfaces that makes it easier to get them lined up correctly.

As stated above, trying to tighten the valve cover bolts to stop leaking is futile. These are a shoulder bolt & once the shoulder contacts the cam retainer inside, there is no further squeezing possible. It is a small thread on the end of these bolts, 6mm, which will snap with not much over torque.

Gary

Clarifying what Dan said.

The RSV gaskets will fit the 1st gens. The reason they are easier to install is they have tabs, or maybe a lip that sticks out beyond sealing surfaces that makes it easier to get them lined up correctly.

As stated above, trying to tighten the valve cover bolts to stop leaking is futile. These are a shoulder bolt & once the shoulder contacts the cam retainer inside, there is no further squeezing possible. It is a small thread on the end of these bolts, 6mm, which will snap with not much over torque.

Gary

If I remember correctly one of our members used a couple of washers betweeen the head of the bolt and the cover to seal the old gaskets successfully.... however I agree... replace 'm with 2ndGens. :thumbsup2:

If I remember correctly one of our members used a couple of washers betweeen the head of the bolt and the cover to seal the old gaskets successfully.... however I agree... replace 'm with 2ndGens. :thumbsup2:

I think it was RandyA that started that idea. I stopped mine from leaking by adding the washers. Maybe I don't Clarify or whatever but my 1st Gens keep on keeping on.

Give credit where it is due Randy. It is a great idea if you don't want to put out the bucks for the gaskets at the time or are just in a hurry as I was. I have a new set of gaskets waiting I just wanted to get it done. I try to help when I can guess I don't type plain enough.

Give credit where it is due Randy. It is a great idea if you don't want to put out the bucks for the gaskets at the time or are just in a hurry as I was. I have a new set of gaskets waiting I just wanted to get it done. I try to help when I can guess I don't type plain enough.

Just razzing you buddy, I appreciate the credit. :bighug:

RandyA

Wasn't you Randy. With the washers the life of those gaskets can be extended.......:think: I'll have to let you know. Over a year and mine still don't leak. I would check them before doing this. Just be carefull but there could be some bolts that have backed off a little over time but I haven't been that lucky on these things. If you remove the bolt and then remove the rubber seal from it I found a washer at Home Depot or Lowe's that fit right inside the chrome cap. put washer on them put rubber seal back and it worked great. I think the next time I will spend a little more and use the fiber washers.

When I do pull those covers to do the gaskets I will check valve clearence. No sense going back in again.

Wasn't you Randy.

Dan,

When I used the term 'Clarify' in regards to post you made, I was trying to point out that the RSV valve cover gaskets where similar to the 1st gens, but had a different feature.

In your 1st reply here you stated "If you buy gaskets get 2nd Gen gaskets. They are same and a lot easier to put on" They are similar, not the same. If they are the same, one might be led to believe there is no difference, so why get the 2nd gen's.

Not trying to goose you Dan, just trying to be helpful.

Gary

Dan,

When I used the term 'Clarify' in regards to post you made, I was trying to point out that the RSV valve cover gaskets where similar to the 1st gens, but had a different feature.

In your 1st reply here you stated "If you buy gaskets get 2nd Gen gaskets. They are same and a lot easier to put on" They are similar, not the same. If they are the same, one might be led to believe there is no difference, so why get the 2nd gen's.

Not trying to goose you Dan, just trying to be helpful.

Gary

I got mine from Skydoc.

They are much wider than stock and do effectively have a "tab" on them.

They were about $20 each and I'm very happy with them.

The leak has been fixed. Previous owner had put crush washers on the guide pins for the cover that is behind the generator cover. Still have the water leak, though. Bottom radiator hose is bad and leaking a little. I took it around the block and it runs like a champ. Scary ride, though. I knew the back brakes weren't working, but the front brakes aren't any good either...stopped the bike, but it took a while.

Brakes ...??? 1st Gens don't need to use no stinkin' brakes... we donate our brakes to the 2nd Genners in case they can get their bikes over 40mph on a down hill with a wind to their back. 1st Gens just go real fast and leave the sissy stopping stuff for the "other" guys...:rotf: :stirthepot: :stickpoke:

2nd Gen:buttkick:1st Gen

I have front/rear brake pads and a new lower radiator hose on the way. With those, giving the master cylinders a good cleaning, and a set of tires, I think the bike will be mechanically sound. Then it's on to paint and reassembly of the bodywork.

On second thought, I'm going to put it together so that I know where and how all the parts fit (I wasn't the one who took it apart) and then I'll take it apart again and paint it.

Jeff