IGNORED

Route info from Portal, Saskatchewan to Banff

Midrsv

I'm beginning to plan this summers big trip and we are considering a ride from Central Ky to Banff National Park and Lake Louise. I think I wold like to go north to MN and then NW through ND and cross into Canada at Portal. From there follow hwy 39 to the Trans Canada Highway and then go west to Calgary.

From the maps some of that are looks to be sparsley populated. Can anyone give me info on the route. Are there adequate fuel stops and lodging along the route? Are the highways in good shape? After visiting the Banff area we would probably drop back south and go through Glacier National park again and then on south to Yellowstone and Jackson Hole before turning back east.

Just starting to think about the trip and direction.

Thanks,

Dennis

You don't have any need for concern regarding fuel stops or places to stay anywhere along the Trans Canada. I doubt you need to worry about hwy 39 from Portal to Moose Jaw either although I would highly recommend filling the tank in Portal.

I'd stay south of the border, the road from Regina to Calgary is the flattest, staightest piece of road on this continent, not a great bike road. As we used to say when I lived in Regina, it's the only place you can watch your dog run away, for three days! :stickinouttounge: Ron. P. S. the people there are the best in Canada!

If youre taking highway 39 to the transcanada highway, you have good highways all the way , but like Jactana says it is flat! Ill put a link below of a ride we did down that highway to Estevan from Regina this past October with a video of us travelling thru Estevan,(your first real town after crossing the border at Portal.).

At Regina its 4 lanes all the way to Calgary (about 8 hours at 75mph or 120kmh).

If you come this way to Regina, stop in for a ice cream and coffee and if you want a sofa to crash on, youre welcome to stay here as well. Let me know how your plans shape up and mabbe I can work in a ride for a bit of your trip too.

If youre planning around June28-29 youre welcome to ride with me as I ride to Nelson BC for Kruisn the Kootenays, or plan to attend for a day on your trip and meet some of the West Canada crazies.

If you need more info just pm me and ill be happy to help you out any way I can.

Brian

https://plus.google.com/photos/103959080138590887139/albums?banner=pwa#photos/103959080138590887139/albums/5662376342540485601

Edited by friesman

Thanks for the info and link to the photos. The only hill I saw there was an overpass. I would expect it to be rather flat in ND as well. And, I am assuming that it would be worth enduring the flat lands to get to Banff. From the photos I've seen that area looks as beautiful as Glacier.

Dennis

I've planned this trip many times over, and some day I'll do it. I've been to Banff on my xs650 in 1975 and is nothing short of spectacular.

If your coming this way, you can stay here for a night if it works into your plans.

I will go from here to Duluth, then across the northern states on hwy #2 and take Road to the sun highway and up to Nelson, BC then to Jasper in the NP, and down to Banff, and back home somehow.

Have a great trip,

Steve

North Dakota is nearly as flat, I was thinking more through the Black Hills of South Dakota, and up through Montana, spectacular ride. Ron:)

Thanks, I've been across SD and MT several times already an ND was one of the few states I haven't been to so I was trying to integrate it into the trip.

Dennis

Its unfortunate that the Transcanada hiway runs thru the most flat part of Saskatchewan. There are a few interesting points between Regina and Calgary on the TransCanada slab like the Cypress Hills Park. .

A couple of hours north of the TC Hiway and there are rolling hills and farther north are the 2/3 of the province that are lakes and forest.

Some of the best fishing and hunting in the world are here and we have wilderness like almost no where else because everyone thinks saskatchewan only has flat farmland.

Youre going to love Banff, and if you get a chance do the ride on the icefields Highway beween Banff and Jasper National Parks. I would also ride the TC hiway west and take Rogers pass over the Rockies into BC ,....amazing scenery.

I wouldnt worry about gas stops as youre on major hiways but I would still stop and fill about every 90 mins just to keep on the full side.

Brian