IGNORED

plastic fix

bill04

there are a few ways to go about it. You can get into plastic welders. Simpler to use a plastic adhesive. Many like Plastex. If you are trying to replace pins on panels, Black Owl occasionally scores some metal replacement pins that are great. Hit "search" above and type in "plastic repair" and check the thread with that name for more info. :happy34:

Guest KitCarson

Gorilla Tape.........:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::bighug: on a serious note.....back the damage up with fiberglass cloth and use the resin behind the repair.......then one of the products these fellows are talking about does a great job......do have to paint the whole part though usually, to get a perfect match.

How large and deep is the crack? If it goes all the way through then you will need to reinforce it on the back side. I had about a 2 1/2 inch crack on the front cowling on my 03 and used plastex to repair it. I then brought it to a body shop and had it painted to match the existing paint. It cost me $150.00 to get it painted but they did a very good job. It’s almost impossible to get an exact match using the original paint because paint fades over time so going the body shop route will result in a better job. The body shop said that if they had to do the repair they would have charged an additional $75.00 so I saved about $60.00 doing the repair myself. If I had to do it again I would let the body shop do the whole thing since it took my over 4 hours to do it. I didn’t have the experience they have.

Good luck with the repair.

I used Plastic Welder which I bought at Walmart. The stuff is great I used it to fix and repair cracks and broken tabs and also where the pouch mounts to the fairing. There was a piece missing there and filled it with the 2 part plastic welder sanded and painted and no one would ever know. When i fixed a few of the tabs on the fairing you could pick up the whole fairing section by the new tab but would never be able to do that with the factory tab as it would snap. I have used it since for a bunch of other stuff as well since and the stuff is hard to beat. and it is under $3 at Walmart. Check it out you wont be dissapointed.

Paul

Doesn`t matter, it goes so fast that you really can`t get a good look at it any way!!

Now you're confusing me, Kreg. :confused07: I thought you were talking about a 2nd gen, but then you talked about it going so fast, so I guess you must be talking about a 1st gen!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I have to agree with Paul, Plastic Welder by Devcon is available in the adhesive section of the hardware dept. at Wally World. (It took me a while to find it!) I had extensive plastic repair after I crashed at Deals Gap. I learned that it works best if you also add fiberglass cloth to the epoxy. As was said, you can rebuild tabs stronger than factory original.

• 4 years later...
is Devcon ll epoxy better than JB weld

1. what do you use as the "tabs" on the back of the side panels

2. what do you use as the "Holes" the tabs sit in

Thanks

The Drifter

84 Venture Royale

im not sure but i will be experimenting with all this stuff as i have alot of work to do on my new to me 1st gen

I went to a plastic company and bought a 12X12 inch piece of scrap ABS. I then traced and cut out new tabs using wire cutters to cut the ABS and welded them on with a soldering iron. They are easy to clean up with a file and sand paper.

Ive had a couple of tabs broken off and I just used plumbers ABS cement and it seemed to hold very well just to glue something back on. if you need something to fill a wide crack (in the plastic....u guys get mind outta the gutter...LOL) I would recommend Plastex.

Brian

How many gallons of that stuff did you buy to fix up all that damage, I know you got some parts hanging on the Tree of Shame..........I do have to say, your bike does have character, goes with the character that rides it..............:rotfl::rotfl:

I have to agree with Paul, Plastic Welder by Devcon is available in the adhesive section of the hardware dept. at Wally World. (It took me a while to find it!) I had extensive plastic repair after I crashed at Deals Gap. I learned that it works best if you also add fiberglass cloth to the epoxy. As was said, you can rebuild tabs stronger than factory original.

:sign yeah that:

It's molding putty you heat up, wrap around a peg to get the shape, peel off the putty, then fill it with the plastex.

Then, when you need a different part, you just heat up the putty again and press it onto whatever you need to copy.

I've used it for the loops as well as the pegs and even corners on farings etc.

To be honest, my wife has done most of it...she is a retired nail tech so has lots of experience in forming acrylics!

I always put a bit of powder and liquid at a time to ensure I don't end up with any dry spots.

Use the plastex to stick the new peg in place and you have a good as new repair!

I usually build up the base of the peg a bit to give it a good foundation.

I used Rapid-Fix.

Had A big crack on the Top of A 83 goldwing saddle bag. Closed the crack and stronger than original. Also had to replace a peg on my 87 venture. used a piece of wooden dowel, shaped with sander then glued it on with Rapid fix, Works great. It sets up fast and strong.

Its two bottles one glue and one filler. You can sand it down Immediately.

I use that stuff on Everything.

DSC08716.jpg

Thanks guys I will be picking up that stuff asap I know this is the rong thread for this could u check out my post about screw on oil filters for 84 xvz12 VR dealer seems to have trouble:confused24: about ordering oem paper filters and o ring

Thanks

Tim "the drifter"

84 Venture Royale

99 Kawasaki Drifter