IGNORED

Trouble with Contractor!!

craigatcsi

We hired a Contractor to replace a Roof and siding due to Hail Damage.

They did a wonderful job on the roofing but the truck that delivered the roofing left large ruts in our lot. When I mentioned this to our contractor he says that his guys are denying doing it. And that he has no idea how it happened.

Of course I took pics and sent them to him stating that they are not allowed on my property again until this is fixed and if it is not fixed by Feb 1st, I am severing my contract with him. I will pay him only the remainder of what is owed for the roofing, minus what I have to pay to have the damage repaired.

CAN I sever the contract for this?

You said you were pleased with the job the contractor did, so personally I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Go fill in the ruts with topsoil and toss some grass seed on them. The truck had no way of knowing your yard was so soft, and it may have been the only spot available to get the material up on the roof..... IMHO..

A few years ago my son pulled into the back yard during the winter and sunk up to the axles. Had to winch him out. It left a couple of a deep ruts in the lawn. Filled 'm in with dirt and now you can't even see where the holes were.... Lawns will repair themselves.... with or without our help...

You said you were pleased with the job the contractor did, so personally I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Go fill in the ruts with topsoil and toss some grass seed on them. The truck had no way of knowing your yard was so soft, and it may have been the only spot available to get the material up on the roof..... IMHO..

A few years ago my son pulled into the back yard during the winter and sunk up to the axles. Had to winch him out. It left a couple of a deep ruts in the lawn. Filled 'm in with dirt and now you can't even see where the holes were.... Lawns will repair themselves.... with or without our help...

I think this is very good advice. Getting someone to show up on time and do the job right is often a big challenge (ask Yammer Dan).

Did the contractors guys even deliver the materials? I'm under the impression that the materials suppliers generally deliver to the site.

Sounds like you must have paid some money up front for materials if this is the case it also sounds like you must have gotten a good price on the job. A job you yourself said was well done. You might have paid more money for a contractor that did the job turn key then handed you a bill, he also may or may not have had a conveyer to put the materials on the roof from your driveway. If he did you a good job and cleaned up his mess ( old materials nails trash etc...) Give him a break like others said those shingles or whatever were not going to fly up there. Kinda like building a garage :stirthepot: and not expecting an 8 to 10 yard mixer truck to not leave ruts or break your driveway its got to get there somehow. After all its is December not the hot dry summer.

Perhaps I'm not being clear, let me try to be clearer...

We have 4 lots. The house and Garage sit on 2 of those lots with a driveway in front of the garage of course, the garage. Towards the very back of it's lot. So the truck simply had to pull in the driveway, up to the garage and his boom would probably reached both bldgs without moving.

But what the driver chose was to pull perpendicular to the driveway, and loaded both roofs from there. When finished, he drove out into the other two lots, around a Fruit tree which is 100ft from the driveway, then back into the driveway and out the gate.

I believe he did this so he wouldn't have to back up to get out of the fenced yard.

BTW, the Owner of the Company showed up today with the Project leader that was doing the denying. He was very non-committal, but agrees that the delivery truck obviously did the damage. He told me that he will get the supplier with the driver out here to look at it. THIS guy was very nice and said he wants to get this straightened out.

So, we will see.

BTW, I am VERY surprised at how many of you say to let it go! But, I did ask for opinions and I thank you for yours.

Craig

Most good contractors or lumber yard managers would work this out. Who actually ordered and is paying for the delivery??? They should be talking to the delivery manager and working on the solution. If your contractor has a good relation with the lumber yard manager and is a regular customer he will have some leverage here. Talk to the contractor on a how are we going to address this with the delivery guy and see what his feelings are on this. I would be cautious on getting anyone excited that may not be at fault, and the repair should be done when the job is completed.

Edited by dacheedah

I can see your point now with more information but the opinions you received were just that and based on the information you gave and were not intended as any reflection on you. I have been in the contractors shoes as well as yours when it comes to repairs and based my opinion solely on the information presented. In light of what you have said IMHO sounds like the delivery guy might have took a short cut good luck getting this resolved to your satisfaction.

If you have a problem with the damage done don't pay him until he fixes it to your satisfaction - contract or no contract. Tearing up your lawn doesn't fall into the good job category. If you fix it yourself deduct the cost from his bill. He's responsible for his subcontractors. If he doesn't like it he can take you to court.

Well, I got another call from the OWNER of the company today and he said he will have a load of dirt delivered this Wed. And will have the ruts leveled. I told him not to worry about the grass seed, (it's winter here). He said he will also fill a low spot in my dirt driveway while they are here!

It looks like it is the Project Manager that is the problem. The owner appears to be a stand up guy.

Thanks for all of the responses, you folks are great!

Craig