IGNORED

Venture Backrest Again

Greg S

Hello,

Being new here, it looks as though I originally posted a question in the wrong section. Freebird sent a Utopia link in response to this, but I am still looking for something more like the Markland or Ventureline product. Now that I have found the correct location, here is the post again.

Hi,

I am new here, and am hoping that someone might be able to help me out.

In 1983, I bought a brand new 1983 Yamaha Venture. Bright red, and nothing special. Over the years, I have added a Ventureline driver's seat backrest and luggage rack, and an aftermarket radio from Best Buy. I still have the bike, and ride it regularly. It seems to put a lot of newer bikes to shame in terms of handling and engine performance. Brand new, out the door, it only cost a fraction of what bikes cost now.

Here is why I joined this board. My son has followed in my footsteps, and this last summer, he purchased a 1983 Yamaha Venture too (see pic). First thing that we noticed, was that all 1983 Ventures are not the same. Things like clock location, anti-glare glass, helmet holders, turn signal cancelling switch type, and other little knick knacks, are different. The one thing that he would like to be the same though, is that he would like to have a backrest for the driver seat. He currently lives four hours away from home, and he enjoys riding the Venture when he visits.

I would like to buy a backrest for his Venture as a Christmas present, but have come up against a wall of stone. Nobody seems to carry them anymore for a 1983 XVZ1200. I tried Markland, Babbit's, E-bay, Google, Craig's list, the local Yamaha shop (Ventureline), and several aftermarket shops. Nobody can even give me any leads.

At this point, I would be happy to find even a used backrest. Can anybody give any suggestions?

Thank you,

Greg

My 85 had a new Saddlemens seat with removable backrest on it when I got it 4 years ago, and I noticed that you can still order the seats from them. I wonder if you contact them that they would sell you a backrest?

(I like the easily removable backrest as its makes it way easier getting off and on these tall bikes for this fat guy with stubby legs.:whistling:)

Brian

Friesman1 - They still have a website. I would prefer to not get the kind that mounts by cutting a hole in the seat, like the Utopia one, but I am going to contact them to find out what they have.

Golf&Venture - I saw that one too, and it is exactly the type that I am looking for. From researching the web though, it sounds like something about the Venture changed in 1986. The change could have been that the backrest mounts in a different way on the frame, or, it could have been something simple, like the pattern on the backrest changed from diamond, to the newer style. I contacted the seller, and they said they did not think that it would work on a 1983. Apparently, a backrest setup for anything 1983 through 1985 will work.

Greg,

I might be able to help you out here.

I looked for 6 months on Ebay before finding one for my 86. The one I found was for an 83 (which is what you need.)

The backrest is the same. Its the brackets that are different.

MikesBike sent me brackets for my 86. If you decide to buy the one on Ebay, I will give you the brackets for the 83.

Just let me know.

Ray

PS - Nice looking 83!

Yammer Dan - If it is simple matter of redrilling some holes in the mounting brackets, I can do that without any problems. I am still trying to find out how different the mounts are, but have yet to be able to see an '83-85 compared, side by side to an '86 and up. I even called up Markland in California, and they were not sure what the difference was.

Hi Ray,

We must have both posted at the same time. I had not seen that you had written until just now, when I saw both of your posts. I kind of suspected that the hardware was quite a bit different. This definitely opens up the possibilities for me. Thank you for the offer!

Ray - One more quick thought. Is your backrest still in original condition? If so, then it has the diamond shaped imprint in the material to match the 1983 seat. I believe that the 1986 version is supposed to look different, as in the picture on E-bay. I appreciate your offer of the hardware, and will probably take you up on it. As an aside, I also had another thought. Would you have any interest in my buying the one from E-bay and shipping it to you, and then we could exchange the entire setup? This way, we would both have the backrest that matched the pattern for that particular year of bike. Either way - Thank you for the offer!

Ray - Just noticed that the one on E-Bay is not for an '86. That's what happens when I am working with one customer, typing a quote for another, running a test, talking to an oil field guy, arranging delivery for another customer, and trying to find a MacPherson strut for my car - all at the same time.

Ray - One more quick thought. Is your backrest still in original condition? If so, then it has the diamond shaped imprint in the material to match the 1983 seat. I believe that the 1986 version is supposed to look different, as in the picture on E-bay. I appreciate your offer of the hardware, and will probably take you up on it. As an aside, I also had another thought. Would you have any interest in my buying the one from E-bay and shipping it to you, and then we could exchange the entire setup? This way, we would both have the backrest that matched the pattern for that particular year of bike. Either way - Thank you for the offer!

Greg, This is mine. Its in pretty good shape. I would have no problem swapping with you if you can find one in similar condition. Ray

http://www.raymondstacy.com/br2.jpg

Ray, The one on the right definitely looks like the one on my '83 Venture. As for the backrest on E-bay, if they are advertising that it is pitted, then it probably is not even worth looking at. I will keep my eyes open for a backrest that will fit either your bike, or my bike, and hopefully something will work out. From what years will the backrest fit, and match, your bike? I am going to be away from the computer until tomorrow.

Dave - Thanks for the tip! I didn't notice that this thread had gone to two pages, and did not know to go to page 2 until just a few minutes ago. Within these last few minutes, I have already called Mike up, and he is willing to ship the backrest to me. The brackets are there, the chrome looks good, and I should be able to do something to make the material tear look better. This really made my day!

Dave - Not a bad idea with the sheepskin. Might make it even more comfortable.

I see you are from South Dakota. My Venture took me through the Badlands a few years ago, as part of a large loop around the United States. Although there are a lot of good memories about the trip, one thing that will always stick with me, is that I was the only person in our group that had a passenger on the back seat. I was the only one who was pulling a trailer behind the motorcycle. I was the one carrying half the group's excess luggage for them. Yet, I was the only one who could go up the mountain roads out west with authority. Once at the top, I had to wait for the rest to catch up - every time. Not bad for an old 1200cc touring bike. This is why I have never "upgraded" my vintage touring platform to anything else. This is also why my son has a 1983 Venture, and now, he is going to have the requisite backrest as well. Thanks again!

Greg,

Glad it will work for you! The cover should not be too difficult to fix up. If nothing else, a sheepskin could be put on it.

Dave

That worked for me to. I managed to buy a very nice backrest for my '84 but then managed to keep snagging the top of the pad with the lace hooks on my work boots. I bought some imitation sheep skin at Wally World and made a slip on cover for the pad. Keeps it from getting snagged and no more sticky back on those humid days. Throw it in the laundry when is gets dirty.

Mike