IGNORED

New problem - oil leak!

Went out to work on the bike today, to check on all of the little things that have been bugging me. After finshing up, just before putting my side cover back on i noticed an oil leak which appears to be coming from the head gasket. About a month ago(some of you may recall), i had my oil changed and went on a 300 mile day trip. a few days later i went to check my oil and could not see the oil level through the site glass. It turned out that they had overfilled the oil. I drained it to the appropriate level and have ridden it for a month without any issues. My question is: Could this have been enough to blow a head gasket? There appears to be oil around the rubber carb boots as well.

It's hard to tell from the pics for sure but that looks more like a valve cover leak.

Not a real bad or expensive job to do.

Over filled oil will make for oil everywhere. Now that you have the correct oil level, clean it up, don't forget to clean the oil out of the air filter, and keep a close eye on it to see where it starts from.

I'd rather think it was coming from the rubber boots. If the engine is filled too full it will blow into the air plenum. If the engine hasn't been into, I'd say no, not a head gasket. Check the clamps on the rubber boots and see if they are tight, if not, the oil is probably draining back down the back of the engine somewhere. Probably need to pull off the plenums and clean out the excess oil since it was overfilled. At the worst I think the engine would leak past a valve cover gasket before being forced out a head gasket. Hope this helps.

I think this is a classic, so check the basics... you overfill the case, the higher pressure foams the oil sending some up into the front of the airbox, since the sidestand puts the left side lower, the oil seeps along the tube going down to #1 carburetor and then down the carb, lower manifold, onto then the engine cylinder. If you wipe down the upper and lower carb manifold and come away oily... just do your cleanup, insure the oil is at half glass when upright and ride it like ya stole it.