IGNORED

Modular home vs. stick built

bj66

Anybody have any imput on this topic? Wife and I are contemplating building a new house. I know roughly what type of dollars we would be looking at for a stick built or even a redi built home moved to our farm.

Today out of curiosity I stopped and looked at a few modular homes. I was rather impressed with what I saw, and some of the dollar figures impressed me even more. I can save alot of cash going this route. The mod would be put on a full basement just like the stick.

Its obvious that there are things in the mod that arent as quality as the stick/redi built. So my question is, is it worth going with a mod for the savings? Or does it come back to bite you in the end?

The stick we looked at is a very high quality home, kind of a cadillac I guess you could say. So id say the mod is more like a chevy. So am I fair to say both are good, and it is more like a chevy vs. a caddy?

Guest tx2sturgis

Do you plan on being there forever, or selling it in 5, 10, or 20 years? You want to retire there?

The answers I would give would partly depend on how long you plan to be there, and what exactly the differences in price would be.

Some good quality modulars can increase a fair amount in value in just a few short years, depending on a lot of factors. Or, they might decrease depending on the market and amount of maintenance done over the years.

But of course the same can be said of a stick built home.

Back to square one. What do YOU want to do?

There is a difference between a modular home and manufactor home alias mobile home. I think many modular homes are well built and built indoors out of the elements. I would make sure it had 6 inch walls and good insulation. Several good friends have modular homes and they are well built. If I were building I would consider a modular but I would also do my homework.

Guest tx2sturgis

Well for a savings of 40 to 50 grand on purchase price, and maybe double that amount over the course of a 20 year mortgage, It would be a no-brainer for me...assuming the modular is of good quality, and has a good warranty with a solid company.

Build a house. I have tried the others. They are built better nowadays, but for the money. Build yourself a home. I do not know anything about modular homes. :confused24: http://homebuying.about.com/cs/modulareducation/a/modularhomes.htm

We built a house and we are very pleased with our decision. I was 40 years old at the time and another one on the way, we now have two children. Our daughter is 22, and our son is 7 years old. I am now 47 years old. We moved in on November 1 st 2004 , and my son was born on November 30 th 2004.

Worried for a while, a lot of decisions, changes here and there, debt, but worth it all.

I went with wood siding, to much up keep/staining. Then after 5 years, covered it over with vinyl siding. Go with 2x6 outside walls, just a very little more money, but worth it. Very warm and or cool.

Build you a garage while your at it. You will not be disappointed with a garage to park your vehicles and bikes in. I am sure you know this.

I have some very nice/workable/well thought out house plans that I had drawn up. My wife and I spent two years drawing them out on our own. Then we had them drawn out by a very good architect that we go to church with. He said that they where one of the best house plans that he had saw in a while.

You are welcome to them. I could mail them to you and you could make copies.

This is a common set of drawings, one level home. Not a pricey home. But one for the country folk that works.

If interested, you will find my contact information in my profile.

James

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

I'm not sure there is much difference between a modular home and a site built house. In theory the modular should be better quality because it's built in a factory with nice flat and square surfaces to construct on.

I think you have more flexibility with the layout of a site built custom home. It appears though that modulars have come a long way in the floor plans and amenities offered.

If I was able to get the floor plan that met my needs, from a reputable supplier, I think I'd give the modular a serious look.

One gripe I often hear from people who have homes site built is constant delays because contractors don't keep to the schedule. I'd guess a factory built home would be less prone to this problem.

Most of the folks I know around here live in the Modular homes....and all are very happy with them. Years ago the Modulars were limited to being a 2 piece bolt together unit....the industry has come very far since then....size,shape,and floor plans can be whatever YOU order.

They seem to hold a lot higher re-sale value in this area than do the double-wide Mobil homes.

We don't have basements here in Loozeeanner so I can't attest as to how a Modular would do on that type of foundation....here they just set them on concrete slabs.

Bottom line: If Momma ain't happy you're never going to be happy. Get the garage you want and let the wife plan the house.

Boomer.....who sez a heated garage will keep the pygmies happy.

Most of the folks I know around here live in the Modular homes....and all are very happy with them. Years ago the Modulars were limited to being a 2 piece bolt together unit....the industry has come very far since then....size,shape,and floor plans can be whatever YOU order.

They seem to hold a lot higher re-sale value in this area than do the double-wide Mobil homes.

We don't have basements here in Loozeeanner so I can't attest as to how a Modular would do on that type of foundation....here they just set them on concrete slabs.

Bottom line: If Momma ain't happy you're never going to be happy. Get the garage you want and let the wife plan the house.

Boomer.....who sez a heated garage will keep the pygmies happy.

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Modular versus Mobile .... make sure of that distinction as they are very different.

My last purchased house was a doublewide mobile home. I did a lot of shopping before I bought it. Quality and finish were very good and I got a nice design (I thought). After it was set up, I added on a covered deck and a nice set of stairs at the front door, did the landscaping and was quite comfortable. The only problem was that it wasn't on a solid concrete foundation and required some adjusting to the blocks after a year due to ground settling.

[ATTACH]62550[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62551[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62552[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62553[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62554[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62555[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62556[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62557[/ATTACH]

One gripe I often hear from people who have homes site built is constant delays because contractors don't keep to the schedule. I'd guess a factory built home would be less prone to this problem.

Maybe someone looking at building a garage should give this a consideration !

From what I've seen on TV... modular homes should be better built (consistent and square, built inside using jigs) since they are made in a factory and basically just get dropped into position. Properly constructed foundation and you have your house built in a couple days. The modular builders might modify layout.

I purchased a modular factory built home over four years ago. It is 3300 sf including the upstairs. It was built with 2x6 exterior walls and is fully insulated. My first year electric bill had the highest bill of $119.00 and that was summer use with the airconditioner on. I use propane for heat and hot water. I finished the upstairs attic complete with bathroom, bedroom, closets and sitting room. I am happy I did this since my wifes brother and his wife now live up there. I am very satisfied and would recommend a factory built home to anyone, but you need to find the best you can since they are not all alike.

:farmer:

Guest tx2sturgis
I purchased a modular factory built home over four years ago. .....I finished the upstairs attic complete with bathroom, bedroom, closets and sitting room. I am happy I did this since my wifes brother and his wife now live up there.

:farmer:

What did we learn here?

Well, either dont buy a modular, or dont finish the upstairs, because IF you do....THE IN-LAWS WILL MOVE IN!

:crying:

I am a real etate appraiser here in SC and also worked at the tax assessors office in Berkeley County. From an appraiser's viewpoint, the modular, not manufactured, homes are well worth the savings in cost. I have appraised several of these homes in the area and have found that the values are the same as "stick built" homes. The building of these homes in an enviroment controlled setting is a big plus. Think about a stick built home being built in the great outdoors, rain, wind, snow....yuck. The wood gets wet, dries out and gets wet again causing warping, shrinking etc. None of this in a factory. 2x6 construction, metal straps instead of toe nailing the joists, etc. Exterior siding can be whatever you want. Wood, brick, cement plank..whatever. Same goes for roofing. I have seen several with metal roofs. Per the SC state regs the value of a mod home is comparable to a stick built home as far as taxes go also. I have seen these type homes in some real nice upscale developments and after finishing you cannot tell the difference from a custom built home...

boy, thats some view you have silvrt!

What are those things in the background?

Signed, Flatlander.

:confused:

LOL ... those are the "dry hills" of an area called "Thompson-Nicola Region" in the south central area of British Columbia.

The area is semi-desert ... very hot and dry in the summer and generally fairly windy.

Google map Kamloops, BC, Canada.

SilverT, I was looking at your pictures, and thinking, wow, that looks familiar. Knowing that you live in the lower mainland, I was trying to figure out where that could be! :) Ron

heh ... I live in Burnaby now but I did live in Kamloops from 1992 thru 2001. My place is located in the Leonard Estates mobile home park (just above G&M mobile home park). Of course, I don't own it anymore LOL. I was the first one in that section of the park ... the only other ones were the 6 or 7 units as you first come in off the highway.

Here's where it is ....

We looked at doing this several years ago. Don't remember why we decided not to, but there are a couple places where they have homes on display. You can call the factory and they can give you a tour. What I like about it is what others have said, indoors, consistently built, etc...with outdoor crews you never know what hodgepodge you get. Depending on how handy you are like Sylvester you can leave the house partially unfinished (saves cost) and do some of it yourself.

Now here is what my possible ignorance on the topic comes in. From what I remember you buy the plot of land, have it developed, and once it is all said and done the only thing the manufacturer does it basically put it in place for you, hook it up to city, sewer or what have you.

Maybe not all manufacturers are the same but I remember 1 of them telling us this. So you might have to do alot of leg work to get the property setup for the home to be put in place. But this could be a good thing. Again possible savings.

We looked at doing this several years ago. Don't remember why we decided not to, but there are a couple places where they have homes on display. You can call the factory and they can give you a tour. What I like about it is what others have said, indoors, consistently built, etc...with outdoor crews you never know what hodgepodge you get. Depending on how handy you are like Sylvester you can leave the house partially unfinished (saves cost) and do some of it yourself.

Now here is what my possible ignorance on the topic comes in. From what I remember you buy the plot of land, have it developed, and once it is all said and done the only thing the manufacturer does it basically put it in place for you, hook it up to city, sewer or what have you.

Maybe not all manufacturers are the same but I remember 1 of them telling us this. So you might have to do alot of leg work to get the property setup for the home to be put in place. But this could be a good thing. Again possible savings.

My selling company did all the foundation for the house and garage on property I had purchased. I did the site grading and finish grading after the house was set. I also built the garage on the foundation that their people constructed. I had the well and septic contractors do their part. All in all it was simple. Keep in mind that I have spent fifty years in heavy, civil and marine construction. I have contacts that provided the bulldozer at no cost, but everything else was on my dime.

The house far outclasses stick built home in the area. That plus I have a nice setup on 7.5 acres for under $300K including the garage.